akarunway

gun nuts. help

Browning Rifles
Model: BAR MK II Safari 30-06

Price: $599.00

I have the chance to buy my first hunting rifle. Going for Elk in Oct in Utah. Went last yr. was a blast. 800 lb.er still feeding my friends family. They always hunt w/ 7mm mags. Is this a deal or what. I have one day to decide. Thanksl-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description: MINT CONDITION Browning BAR Mark II Safari 30-06 with 2 bosses (Ported Boss and Boss-CR) Semi-Auto Rifle. Blued finish, factory engraved receiver, high gloss checkered walnut stock, gold trigger, detachable magazine. Gun does not have a scratch on it. Maybe 20 rounds fired, never hunted with. Rings shown in photo come with gun. $599 shipping included to your local FFL.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I am not to familiar with that rifle. When I go out west I use a Winchester 7mm mag and I think that it is awesome. The rouds are a little pricey but it shoots great. Never missed my target yet with it.;) Good luck. I hope you find something you like. Sorry I couldnt be any more help to you. One more thing. This should have been in the Bonfire.[:/]
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

A 30-06 is sufficient for elk provided you use the proper rounds and know your limitations (and hit where you're aiming).

I don't know the prices so won't offer purchase advice, but I have used BARs in 30-06 and found them comofartable and reliable. Just find the ammunition that it likes best.
(the one I was using had a definite preference for heavier rounds, particularly winchester 180grain FailSafe Supreme)

Caveats:
a) A BAR (or any good sized semi) can start to feel VERY heavy on longer treks, such as you might have to make to get the shot on elk.
b) Some people just aren't happy unless you are using a howitzer or the newest flattest fastest shortest whatever.; don't listen with more than half an ear, the 30-06 is all you need to hunt anything in North America
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

don't listen with more than half an ear, the 30-06 is all you need to hunt anything in North America

You must not bring a lot of Quail or Dove home from your hunts.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

30-06 is plenty for elk. JUst use a good heavy round. I grew up in WY hunting elk, and everybody (that I knew, and hunted with) used 30-06. It was the best all around for antelope, mule deer and elk. You can take moose with it, but don't miss. There are a ton of people who think that 7mm mag is gods gift, I have never shot one. I have taken several deer/elk with a 30-06, and find it sufficient for the cause.

A good rifle is http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2684949.

a good round to use for Elk is:http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=S3006X&cart=MzAtMDYgU3ByaW5nZmllbGQ=&use=8

There are 100's of rifle/round configs. I suggest a bolt action. They tsnd to be lighter and more accurate out of the box. (they will be more consistent in shot groups also).
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

This boils down to the type of gun you like best. I've never been a big fan of automatics. I'd much rather have a bolt action. In my experience they are more accurate than an auto, but there may be some auto's out there than may make me eat my words. A lot of auto's will jam up in really cold weather, or if they get dirty. Just some things to think about. So, I'd pick a good bolt gun for elk.

The 30/06 is a good elk cartridge. It's probably killed more elk than any other single cartridge. I'd use 180 grain bullets that won't blow up on bone. I've gotten adequate penetration with 150 grain bullets, but 180 grain should penetrate better on a big bull.

My old Remington 700 30/06 will group close to an inch at 100 yards, off the bench (with the right reloads). I've hunted with it off and on for about 40 years. I still love it.

I've killed elk with a 270, but I'd rather have a 30/06 for that purpose. A 7 MM Mag. is a great cartridge too. It kicks about the same as a 30/06. You'd need at least a 24 inch barrel in 7 MM mag. for maximum velocity. Most 30/06's are about 22 inches (usually). They may be easier to pack around for that reason. I have a 26 inch barrel on my 300 Win. Mag. to ring out the most velocity. I don't like it's noise or recoil much. It's another great elk cartridge though.

This picture was of a bull I shot many years ago. Yes, that's my old ought-six in the picture. It took about a week to get all the meat out. A blizzard thwarted one attempt to get the meat out of goat country and down to the horses.....Steve1

One more thing. This should have been in the Bonfire.

Which brings up a good point. If the post is simply about gun advice, should it or can it be posted in Bonfire?

Although the note says to bring religion, politics, & guns here, I always thought of Speakers Corner as a place for spirited political debate.

So if you're not debating gun laws, but simply discussing gun advice, should that go in Bonfire?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

So if you're not debating gun laws, but simply discussing gun advice, should that go in Bonfire?

Debating what gun is the best for a given situation can get very spirited. I've seen people about come to blows when someone stated their favorite elk gun wasn't up to snuff. So in my opinion, I think this may be the right place for this....Steve1

if you don't want a semi auto, consider a pump action like a remington model 7600 in either 30-06 or .270win nice free floated barrels and quick follow up shooting.

I have a model 760 in 270win that was made around 1956, I rebuilt it with a lapped barrel and it's as accurate as most any bolt action around, I also like the remington 700 maybe even in a 7mm-08

Debating what gun is the best for a given situation can get very spirited.

No joke! Man oh man, in the past year I've had some conversations with coworkers about sidearm and backup weapon choice that could have warranted police intervention...which was ironic.:D:D

don't listen with more than half an ear, the 30-06 is all you need to hunt anything in North America

You must not bring a lot of Quail or Dove home from your hunts.

:P OK, so I should have stated something to the effect of big game, or non flying game, or whatever, but really, depending on the rules you hunt by, one could bring home quite a few tasty little birds with a rifle.

Regardless, I don't think there is a land based animal native to North America that couldn't be safely and ethically hunted with a 30-06.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I prefer 7.62 , savage police tactical rifle bolt action 26 inch with a nightforce scope (extreme)

choat stock(sniper) harris pod(short)

using M118 LR ball ammo
good to 1000 yards

all my shooting is done from the prone position

now guess what I hunt:)

for food on the table I hunt at KROGERS:o
59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

One more thing. This should have been in the Bonfire.

Which brings up a good point. If the post is simply about gun advice, should it or can it be posted in Bonfire?

Although the note says to bring religion, politics, & guns here, I always thought of Speakers Corner as a place for spirited political debate.

I fingered it could get heated so I posted it here. Thanks for the info guys. The rifle was sold already so I'll wait a little longer. Plus all I'm going after is a spike this year. The only tag I can buy over the counter this yr. in Utah at this time
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I prefer 7.62 , savage police tactical rifle bolt action 26 inch with a nightforce scope (extreme)

choat stock(sniper) harris pod(short)

using M118 LR ball ammo
good to 1000 yards

all my shooting is done from the prone position

now guess what I hunt[Angelic]

My guess would be, gee lemme think about this one...

People? Bad, nasty, gonna-hurt-other-people kinda people?

I got to play with a very sweet .308 AR variant with a MagPul precision rifle stock, 3-9x lenses, and plenty of 20round steel magazines. I was feeling very Irish what with all the clover leaves around. ;)

And it even cleaned up easy becuase it was a piston gun, so there was nearly zero nastiness depsited back into the action with each shot.

ps - a very neat little addition to this rifle:
New to me, but apparently not to those who play in the sandbox, a tiny little Docter Optics red dot sight sat mounted on top of the scope, making close up and moving shots much more fun. A definite addition to any AR I will own.
witty subliminal message
1*

I prefer... M118 LR ball ammo

I shot a box of 20 at a 1,000-yard shoot yesterday, using my M1A (M-14), and they worked fairly well for me. That box was given to me by someone.

I've seen M118 LR advertised, but very expensive, like $30 for a box of 20. Do you know of a cheap source for this stuff?

Otherwise, I'm sticking to my reloads which duplicate that cartridge, in order to save my bank account.

people who hunt for pleasure are scum-bags

a Deer is majeskic and does no harm to anybody (i'm not talking about idiots who say they have to kill them for coming into town or anything like that, even though that's a load of bollocks as well) this planet is big enough that humans and animals can all live side by side

What kind of dick-head gets pleasure from killing an animal just because they can? i can't think of any bigger way to show the world you're a retard than by going into the wilderness and killing animals just for the "pleasure" in killing them :S you truly have to be one sad cunt to get pleasure from that

oh, one last thing

people who hunt animals for plasure are no better than Al-Zarqawi :( he got pleasure from killing, just like they do

a question to any hunters... do you feel like a real man when you kill a defenceless animal? what big balls you must have to take on an unarmed deer with your rifle.... guess alot of you are frustrated you're too fat/stupid/redneck to have got in the real army you love so much eh? shooting animals is the next best thing i suppose

a Deer is majeskic and does no harm to anybody

You obviously know nothing about deer.

Not hunting the animal results in a few things. One of which is over population, which creates food shortages, starvation issues and dieses.

As for the rest, I hope you would care enough to educate yourself so you can have faith in your educated opinions (which ever they may be).