akarunway

So. Do we execute THESE kinda guys for desertion?

Personally me thinks they should forfit pay and let them walk. >By Keith Eldridge

An Army lieutenant based at Ft. Lewis has such serious objections to the war in Iraq, and is refusing to deploy, the soldier's lawyer said.

Soldier Says He'll Refuse To Go To Iraq

SEATTLE - As thousands of Fort Lewis Army troops prepare to head back to Iraq, one of their officers is making a stand.

A lieutenant says he is going to refuse to go, saying it's an unjust war. Anti-war groups are rallying to his defense.

Lt. Ehren Watada of the Stryker Brigade writes, "I refuse to be silent any longer. I refuse to watch families torn apart, while the President tells us to ‘stay the course.’ I refuse to be party to an illegal and immoral war against people who did nothing to deserve our aggression.

"I wanted to be there for my fellow troops. But the best way was not to help drop artillery and cause more death and destruction. It is to help oppose this war and end it so that all soldiers can come home." - signed LT.

His name had been kept a secret until now, but Lt. Watada's father confirms that his son is taking this bold step and told the Honolulu Advertiser newspaper that he's proud of his son.

Fort Lewis says since the lieutenant hasn't done anything official yet, there's no violation. But should he decide to go ahead with this, he could be charged with 'desertion' or more likely with 'missing the movement' of his unit.

It's happened before with a sergeant who refused to go. Sgt. Kevin Benderman was sentenced to 15 months for refusing to go to Iraq.

Lt. Watada asked for reassignment and tried resigning his commission, but the Army refused. His attorney tells us from Hawaii that Watada is not against all wars, just this one.

"I've been doing this for nearly 40 years and I'm somewhat astounded that in the context of a war that is becoming increasing unpopular that they are relatively unsophisticated in addressing these issues," said attorney Eric Seitz from Hawaii.

This doesn't sit well with fellow soldiers.

"We're here to serve our country and fight and that's his job," said Private Nathan Hanson. "It's his duty."

Anti-war protestors, many of which demonstrated at the Port of Olympia recently, are rushing to his aid. They have put up a Web site believing he's the first commissioned officer to refuse to go.

The lieutenant says he'll make his intentions official Wednesday at noon and that's when his defense team will kick into gear.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Naaah. Just give him a "Other than Honorable" discharge and move on.

Too soft, I say. I say strip of commission, dishonorable and throw some time there too, at a minimum.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

enlisted or officer, they all need to do time for this, they signed up took the oath and then let the government spends millions on training them only to turn around and not do their job. PATHETIC COWARDS
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Too soft, I say. I say strip of commission, dishonorable and throw some time there too, at a minimum.

Agreed. He is betraying the men who depend on his leadership (or in this case lack thereof).

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I agree. Just letting the guy go is too light. You give up the right to decide what you feel like doing or not doing when you raise your right hand and take the oath. You lose the right to an opinion. This guy is completely abandoning his duty and that should come with a price.

My opinion was based on what would really happen to this tick-turd rather than what he deserves (like Leavenworth). I'm not too keen to the Officer side as far as the UCMJ, but an "OTH" for this behavior is actually not too uncommon. We have had Contientious Objectors before. At worst, they do Brig time. This type of behavior usually isn't enough of a felony thus Leavenworth (both are the standard for a "dishonorable" discharge) It sucks, but this Asshole will at worst get a Bad Conduct discharge.

Personally, I think Leavenworth would only serve to protect himself from his inevitable self destructive behavior. His dd-214 is already going to keep him out of good jobs. I say, allow the military let him fall on his ass; punish himself. It'll be a lot cheaper than paying tax dollars to shelter and feed him.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

As the son of a full bird Col. USAF (and I'm pushing 50)> Best piece of advice he ever gave me. " There is no black or white. Stay in the grey" I did some TIME in the military myself. I was smart enough to get contracts w/ them and went happily on my way after serving a short time;). You hardcore rights and lefts need to find a happy medium. Too much killing going on in the world. And as the history books, if I read them right, all EMPIRES fall sooner or later
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

His attorney tells us from Hawaii that Watada is not against all wars, just this one.

So what makes this dipstick think he has the right to decide what is acceptable to him and what is not?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the military are volunteers, and have willingly, knowingly subordinated their personal wishes in order to become the instruments of foreign policy, and therefore do not get to decide what wars they will fight.

This man (and I use the term loosely) has chosen not to honor the terms of the agreement he made when he received his commission, and should therefore be punished according to the UCMJ. End of story.

If I were the JAG, I would move this case along as slowly as possible, so that by the time it goes to trial (assuming he is formally charged), it will no longer be a liberal-left-wing-radical-anti-war Cause du Jour.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

No one has been executed for desertion from US forces since WWII.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

What happens when an order comes down to do something you know is wrong? Do you do it anyways because you took the oath?

You take the oath, but you never give up your mind, your principles and your rights as a human being.

"Lt. Watada asked for reassignment and tried resigning his commission..."

and it sounds like he has tried other professional avenues besides abandoning his post. Maybe he is a coward, maybe he truly is against the war, but it seems he is still trying to serve his country.

I respect those who serve, but I do not always respect the wars they are told to serve.

Illegal orders are one thing...this is an entirely different situation.

Also, the military re-assigns personnel for the good of the military, primarily - hardship cases ARE considered, however.

Eric Seitz, a Honolulu attorney who specializes in military cases, said that Watada, 27, first tried to resign his commission in January.

This guy knew from the time he joined the military (2003?) that our troops were deployed to Iraq. Seems like he was just fine with being in the military until he found out it was his turn to go to the sandbox. He damn sure knew what the deal was when he signed his name on the dotted line.

My prediction:

Court martial for missing movement, stripped of rank, a year or so in military prison and a big chicken dinner.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Absolutely seems like he knew what he was getting into. And if not, I would think that the last 3 years would've 'clued him in'.

ROTC stands for "Reserve Officer Training Corps". Think of it like military academy classes at a normal college. Prepares them for becoming an officer after graduation.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

"I, (state your name), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of ________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of The United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God. "

Dear DoD; please add... "Unless I change my mind."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

"I, (state your name), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of ________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of The United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God. "

Dear DoD; please add... "Unless I change my mind."

:D:D:D:D:D:D
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Exactly..... as you are probably aware from my other posts, I'm not in favour of the Iraq situation BUT (as ex-military myself ) .. he took the American equivilant of the Queens' Shilling and has a duty to serve.

This is not likely to go away for him.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome