bch7773

Military Rules for owning personal firearms

Since many of you on here are military or are gun-law experts, i figure you can answer this question.

I am looking to buy a rifle, however, i currently live in a buddies house. I pay rent, and he owns the house. He is active-duty military. He says that he cannot have a gun in his house without doing all sorts of forms for the military higher ups.
He told me this is because the gun would be in his house. I beleive he is mistaken, but i can't find anything on the web about this. The closest I can find is a rule saying military personel have to abide by the gun rules of the state they are in.

So is he right? Or if I buy a gun and abide by my states laws, does it matter if its stored in a military guys house?

MB 3528, RB 1182

I used to keep my guns off base at a friends who was also in the service when I was in the Air Force...that way I did not have to turn them over to the Security Police and go thru the major hassle of begging for my guns if I wanted to go hunting or go to the firing range. You might call the MP's or Provost Marshals office.. or Security Police.. or what ever it is they call them these days and check what the current regulations are for yourself.. Your roomate may just not want the weapons around and since its his house.... you may need to make other arrangements.

True or not, he chose his career and the rules that entails.

You are a free individual and can exercise your rights. So if he has to jump through hoops in order not to infronge on your rights, that the way it is.

If you really want a gun, though, then the courteous thing is to help him out with the paperwork.

I don't think it sounds right though. If there is a rule, it 'should' only apply to his personal ownership and have nothing to do with you.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

As far as I can recall, the rules only apply to on base housing. (and to those E-4 and under....really) Off post housing is a free for all. You have to abide by the local laws. To take your guns on-post to shoot at the range is another stack of paperwork. Out of 10 years with the Army I have yet to take/register any of my weapons on post.

I hope this helps.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

True or not, he chose his career and the rules that entails.

You are a free individual and can exercise your rights. So if he has to jump through hoops in order not to infronge on your rights, that the way it is.

I don't quite agree with this, since it's his house, and he can make any rule he wants. ie: no guns in the house, no pets in the house, etc.

while you have a right to own a gun, you don't have a right to keep it on someone else's property.
This ad space for sale.

So is he right? Or if I buy a gun and abide by my states laws, does it matter if its stored in a military guys house?

Short answer, no. As long as you abide state laws, it does not matter if you store the gun at a military guys house (unless it is on post). The required paperwork your friend spoke of is for active duty military members. It might be an issue for you to store the gun at his place if he has any history of domestic violence(military thing).OR, he just may not be comfortable storing the weapon at his place.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Since many of you on here are military or are gun-law experts, i figure you can answer this question.

I am looking to buy a rifle, however, i currently live in a buddies house. I pay rent, and he owns the house. He is active-duty military. He says that he cannot have a gun in his house without doing all sorts of forms for the military higher ups.
He told me this is because the gun would be in his house. I beleive he is mistaken, but i can't find anything on the web about this. The closest I can find is a rule saying military personel have to abide by the gun rules of the state they are in.

whats up? don't you trust your military to keep guns? :o

OR, he just may not be comfortable storing the weapon at his place.

Good point - since the poster is a Student (young) who enjoys "the study and consumption of ethyl alcohol beverages." maybe his housemate/landlord is just trying to say "not on my property" without getting into a pissing match by just saying it directly.

His bosses may just be a made up excuse.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

it's his house, and he can make any rule he wants

agreed, I just wanted to state the other side since the owner wasn't saying "no - I won't allow it" he was saying "Dude, I don't think the army will let me allow it"

he was saying "Dude, I don't think the army will let me allow it"

If he lives off-base, the Army has no jurisdiction over what legal items are inside his house.

If he's in base housing, then he has to abide by whatever base rules are in effect, which could vary from one Commanding General to the next, during my time in the service. In that case, call the MP's and ask.

I agree John, I suspect he just doesn't want this kid to have a gun in his house (his house, his rules) and it's easier to make up some 'rule' than just put his foot down.

This based on absolutely no knowledge of either person, but just a fun conjecture throw out there to see if it gets a well reasoned response, or a defensive knee jerk response.

I agree John, I suspect he just doesn't want this kid to have a gun in his house (his house, his rules) and it's easier to make up some 'rule' than just put his foot down.

This based on absolutely no knowledge of either person, but just a fun conjecture throw out there to see if it gets a well reasoned response, or a defensive knee jerk response.

this kid?!? :S

my buddy says he is ok with it, and in fact wants to hang it on a wall because it would be a ww2 era rifle and cool to look at, old man ;)

I do really think he just misunderstands the rule... apparently he was thinking of on-base housing, which everyone here says requires different rules then state gun rules.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Weapons regulations are different from post to post as each post has a policy regarding registration and storage of privately owned weapons. In MOST cases, if this is not government quarters and it's not on government property, then there are no registration/storage requirements beyond local/state/federal laws.

If he is renting a privately owned house to you, and it's not on an installation, the army has no authority on whether or not you keep weapons in the house. There are a couple installations that prevent E-4 and below from keeping privately owned firearms in their off-post housing, but they are the exception and not the rule.

In any case, if it needs to be registered (and I don't think it does), it is not very hard to do. It's a matter of a half-hour or less to get appropriate signatures and register at the PMO.

The army can regulate the soldier, but not you. The legal stipulations on whose residence it is once you rent it is beyond my expertise, but I'd be very surprised if the scenario you described is true.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

he was saying "Dude, I don't think the army will let me allow it"

If he lives off-base, the Army has no jurisdiction over what legal items are inside his house.

If he's in base housing, then he has to abide by whatever base rules are in effect, which could vary from one Commanding General to the next, during my time in the service. In that case, call the MP's and ask.

Famous last words..... :)

When I was in they would tell us what off-base businesses we could visit or not. You forfeit Constitutional rights when you sign.

Weapons regulations are different from post to post as each post has a policy regarding registration and storage of privately owned weapons. In MOST cases, if this is not government quarters and it's not on government property, then there are no registration/storage requirements beyond local/state/federal laws.

If he is renting a privately owned house to you, and it's not on an installation, the army has no authority on whether or not you keep weapons in the house. There are a couple installations that prevent E-4 and below from keeping privately owned firearms in their off-post housing, but they are the exception and not the rule.

In any case, if it needs to be registered (and I don't think it does), it is not very hard to do. It's a matter of a half-hour or less to get appropriate signatures and register at the PMO.

The army can regulate the soldier, but not you. The legal stipulations on whose residence it is once you rent it is beyond my expertise, but I'd be very surprised if the scenario you described is true.

Really? What if a military person was gay, but only off base? IS that regulated? Behavior on and off base by active (maybe reserves too) military members can be and is regulatedby teh stroke of a pen. It varies from base to base by the commander, but NEVER say that a military person has rights to do what he/she wants off base.