warpedskydiver

Bush Orders Probe Into Gas Price Cheating

Bush Orders Probe Into Gas Price Cheating
By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer
1 hour ago

President Bush speaks to supporters at a fundraising luncheon ...
WASHINGTON - President Bush, under pressure to do something about gasoline prices that are expected to stay high through the summer, has ordered an investigation into possible cheating in the markets.

During the last few days, Bush asked his Energy and Justice departments to open inquiries into whether the price of gasoline has been illegally manipulated, said White House press secretary Scott McClellan. Bush planned to announce the action Tuesday during a speech in Washington.

It's unclear what impact, if any, Bush's investigation would have on prices that are near $3 a gallon. Asked if Bush had any reason to suspect market manipulation, McClellan responded, "Well, gas prices are high right now, and that's why you want to make sure there's not."

Republicans who control Congress have become concerned that the high cost of filling up could become a problem for them in the November elections. Polls suggest that voters favor Democrats over Republicans on the issue, and Bush gets low marks for handling gasoline prices.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., urged Bush in a letter Monday to order a federal investigation into any gasoline price gouging or market speculation.

"There is no silver bullet," Frist said Tuesday on ABC's "Good Morning America," but "we need to make sure that any efforts at price-gouging be addressed and addressed aggressively." Meanwhile, Frist said, consumers should take steps to conserve gasoline _ drive at slower speeds, tune up car engines for maximum efficiency and carpool.

McClellan said Bush had already ordered investigations into market pricing.

"We share a commitment with congressional leaders to make sure that we're acting to ensure that there is no price gouging," McClellan said.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada dispatched his own letter, calling for a multi-pronged approach to restrain gas prices. Among the steps were swift enactment of anti-price gouging legislation, an appeal to oil companies to refrain from further price increases, use of more alternative fuels and increased attention to existing fuel-saving laws and regulations.

Bush also planned to announce that his attorney general and Federal Trade Commission will send a letter to all 50 state attorneys general, who have primary authority over price gouging, to remind them to stay on top of the issue and offer federal help to do so. And he planned to call on energy companies to reinvest their profits into expanding refining capacity, developing new technologies and researching alternative energy sources, McClellan said.

"I think you'll hear the president say very clearly that he will not tolerate price gouging," McClellan said.

Bush has said consistently that gas prices are high because global demand is rising faster than global supply and that the problem cannot be solved overnight. McClellan said Bush planned to talk about how experts predict the price will increase this summer and how the switch to a summer fuel mix is contributing to the problem.

Bush's actions are part of a four-part plan to address gas prices in the short- and long-term, McClellan said. The steps are:

_Making sure consumers and taxpayers are treated fairly.

_Promoting greater fuel efficiency.

_Boosting gasoline supply at home.

_Aggressive long-term investment in alternative fuels

Lip service.

Somehow it always comes back to Clinton.

It sure does. Oh, how I long for the days when a blowjob in the white house was our country's biggest issue.....

And when I paid 89 cents for a gallon of gas....

and the USA was respected all over the globe....

Z

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Lip service.

It sure does. Oh, how I long for the days when a blowjob in the white house was our country's biggest issue.....

Z

what back in the 1980's?;)

Uhh...noooo....

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/wrgp/mogas_history.html

How QUICKLY we forget. March 1, 1999 the average cost for a gallon of regular gasoline was 89.1 cents per gallon. Go see for yourself.

Also, the subsequent rise in gas prices can be seen to coincide with the botched Iraq operations, a poor response to Katrina, and now tension over Iran.

Z

Added: Oh, and Feb 1999 it was 88.5 cents a gallon.

Lip service.

Z

Could not agree with you more!
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

Uhh...noooo....

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/wrgp/mogas_history.html

How QUICKLY we forget. March 1, 1999 the average cost for a gallon of regular gasoline was 89.1 cents per gallon. Go see for yourself.

Also, the subsequent rise in gas prices can be seen to coincide with the botched Iraq operations, a poor response to Katrina, and now tension over Iran.

Z

I've got a picture of myself, in late '98 I believe, at a gas station in Northern VA with a buddy of mine (he had just purchased a used 'vette, hence the picture). In the background is the pricing (unintentional). It was .87 for 87 ;) heh, too bad i'll never see that again in my lifetime.

but since bush has ordered a 'probe' into price gouging, everything will be *just fine* now...
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

It was .87 for 87 ;) heh, too bad i'll never see that again in my lifetime.

If you asked people in Dec. 1990, when gas was $1.35 a gallow, if they thought they would ever see gas for 87 cents a gallon again, they probably would have said 'no' as well.

The current oild prices are based on speculation, not reality. Somewhere down the road, when reality sets in, prices are going to crash.

Z

Uhh...noooo....

Z

I can tell you that gas wasn't that cheap around here by a longshot

Lip service.

this is a funny trap for Bush.

The probe is BS, and we all know it. And even if it conclusively proves that Exxon/Shell/BP aren't screwing with us, Americans that are paying $3/gallon are still going to punish the current administration for it.

I'm trying to figure out how much of the price increase is driven by speculation in the commodities market. It feels much like a stock bubble, or an inflated housing market. There is some drive behind the increase, but it doesn't appear to account for enough of it.

I can tell you that gas wasn't that cheap around here by a longshot

Well, those are the facts as recorded by the US Department of Energy.

How can you be persuaded if you cannot even accept it when stone cold facts are presented?

And where is here?

Z

Chicago

I remember on the news they had a couple of gas stations selling for around a dollar and lines were huge

I will concede it was cheaper elsewhere.

However your statement of the US being respected all over the world is somewhat misleading that is why I guessed the 1980s

If you think we were respected all over the world that is simply amazing and THAT PROOF I WOULD LOVE TO SEE

once in 1999 it hit 69 cents a gallon in kansas. thats when i had an SUV and all was well.

good thing i got rid of the SUV before this "magic" suddenly-china-is-using-5000%-more-gas.

I suspect somewhere the gas prices are artificially high, and not just through speculation.

MB 3528, RB 1182