JohnRich

Man Shoots Dog in Self Defense?

When Karma (at about 4 months old) was attacked by a Pitt bull terrier (A "new" mother that had just birthed a litter) we were fortunate that a by-standard passing in a truck was nice enough to stop and pinch the pitt's nose shut thus forcing the mother to release her grip on Karma and let her loose... (the owner wasn't any help...) Karma was whining and the pitt had a lock on her jaw...

I'm also fortunate that Karma wasn't traumatized to badly from the incident and is still very sociable w/other dogs...

As much as I hate to say it there are other ways to break up a dog fight. :|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Some people, who usually have very mean and very aggressive pitt bulls who are breed to fight to the death, see my Boxers and instantly want to fight them. My Boxers are big and many people mistake them for a pitt.......Well, on more than one occasion I have had to state very specifically-I will kill you dog if it attacks mine-to these owners and often this does not go well with them! But, I have decided that the best was to do it is to knife the other dog and not use a gun. It seems to be the most lawful. Dealing with the dead dogs owner who is probably a evac from New Orleans is another story!:D:D:D:|

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

If a dog attacked my dog, and I felt he may be seriously hurt or killed, BLAMMO, right in the head.

Shame on dog owners who don't control an aggressive pet.

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

What I'm unclear on is how the dog that got shot was able to get into a fight with Grossmith's dog? Was his dog not behind a secure fence either?

What the hell does that matter?

Should I be expected to keep my dog behind a secure fence to ward of other animals? I live on the main road into a subdivision and my dog roams around in my front yard daily. Sometimes he just lies down and watches cars go by. I should not have to lock him up because others have vicious dogs. I have had other dogs get loose and come in the yard and play with my dog. Shit happens. Most dogs are friendly

If a dog did attack my dog I would not grab a gun though.

Still I don't understand why I should have to keep my dog behind a fence.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Should I be expected to keep my dog behind a secure fence

Yes.

Still I don't understand why I should have to keep my dog behind a fence.

Well then perhaps you shouldn't own a dog... Jesus freakin' Christ... Do you really not understand that owning an animal that is capable of causing serious injuries to people requires some degree of responsibility??? :S

Dog shoots man Wednesday, August 18 1999 Updated 11:40 AM ET August 18, 1999
STUTTGART, Germany (Reuters) - A German dog has shot and killed its owner, police said Wednesday. The 51-year-old man, who had been out hunting with his shotgun, was found dead beside his car near the southwestern town of Bad Urach Monday. Police ruled out suicide and foul play and said the gun must have gone off when the dog jumped on top of it on the car seat.

This just goes to show you.....Dogs don't kill people, guns do!" ;):P
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Should I be expected to keep my dog behind a secure fence

Yes.

Glad your not my neighbor

Well then perhaps you shouldn't own a dog... Jesus freakin' Christ... Do you really not understand that owning an animal that is capable of causing serious injuries to people requires some degree of responsibility???

Gee...Really? I don't think you need to tell me Anything about responsible pet ownership.

And it's my yard. If you don't want to pet him or have him run to you wagging his tail, stay the fuck out of my yard.

People who can't or will not train their dogs yet keep them behind a "secure" fence make them more responsible then me?

Pathetic. Freakin' Pathetic.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

The general thought is if anyone's dog causes physical harm, or impairment to another person because of any negligence on the owner's part, you are responsable for any monetary or civil actions that may, and could require you to reimburse the victem for any monetary loss. It would be a direct result of neglect of fudiciary responsability.

On the other hand, if your dog mauls someone for trying to break into your home, or be they in the process of trying to harm you, or one of your family members, that's another scenario entirely. Always post your property with signs...No Trepassing....Beware Of Dog, etc...I have one that says "No Trespassing - Trespassers Will Be Shot - Survivors Will Be Beaten To Death"
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Glad your not my neighbor

And I'm glad that you're not my neighbor.

If you can keep your dog in your yard without a secure fence, then kudos for you, but if your dog comes running up to me outside of your yard, growling as if it intends to hurt me, then shame on you for putting your dog in a position to either be picked up by animal control or killed by one of your neighbors (or whatever harm might come to a loose dog)... As has already been said, control your freakin' pets, people. Letting your dog run loose is simply irresponsible.

OK, just for the record... It was not this Shotgun that was involved with the shooting. :)

Uh huh.....SURE it wasn't!!! :D:D

I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman... Oh wait, what were we talking about??? :D

:D:D:D:D

*bad Cockney accent*

Oi... yer a roight cheeky wench this eve, ain't ya lass??

*/accent*

:D:D:D:D
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If a dog attacked my dog, and I felt he may be seriously hurt or killed, BLAMMO, right in the head.

Shame on dog owners who don't control an aggressive pet.

Zipp0

why do people take it out on the dog and not the OWNER?:S

it's pretty easy to break up dog fights...I have quite a few times and even between pitbulls whom I had never met.

when the Owners showed up I went off on them and only needed an excuse to beat them senseless.

they both found their dogs laying down behaving and looking rather ashamed after they were yelled at and corrected.

I broke them up with a 2x4

Kinda like when my Dad went to a junk yard to get a part back in the 60s

The owner was going to shoot the german shepherd guard dog because he attacked several workers and killed the other dog.

My Dad told him not to shoot the dog that he would take him.:)
The Junkyard owner warned that the dog was a viscous lunatic.[:/]

My Dad proceeded to walk up to the dog and when he snarled my Dad smaked him picked his ass up by the scruff of the neck and threw him into the back of the truck...:o

That was the sweetest kindest dog you ever met, once he knew his place as wasn't chained and tormented.:)
Animals only know what they have been shown

If I could stop the fight before my dog was hurt using less than lethal means, I probably would. Would I risk being bitten by a strange dog? No way.

My sister has had rabies shots after dealing with a strange cat and being scratched. I'm not taking that risk.

And either way the owner would see me in court.

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

My sister has had rabies shots after dealing with a strange cat and being scratched. I'm not taking that risk.

And either way the owner would see me in court.

Zipp0

In that respect she is lucky to have not lost life or limb as a cat bite is a far more serious danger from infection than most other animals...except a komodo dragon... but they don't make cute pets:o

If I could stop the fight before my dog was hurt using less than lethal means, I probably would. Would I risk being bitten by a strange dog? No way.

Rabies shots are not a big deal. Not at all. I would not kill a strange dog soley for the fear of getting bitten and needing a few shots.

And as others mentioned, it is not hard to break up a fight between two dogs.

A couple years ago a couple dogs came into my yard and attached my black lab. He's pretty big and was doing ok but I went over to break it up and one of the dogs tried to bite me - he missed and got a couple kicks to the ribs for his efforts. I got them broken up and my dog inside. The dogs stayed in my yard so out came the Kimber .45. I was able to control the dogs and get them back to the owner after they calmed down a bit. I think when he noticed the bulge from the large caliber handgun he decided to install a fence and no longer let the dogs roam.

If a Dangerous Animal (Yes a Siberian Husky is a Dangerous Animal) comes onto my property and attacks me or my familly (yes pets are part of the familly) I would shoot it.

Grown up around dogs all my life. It's not the dog its the way you raise it. Granted some breeds are more prone to aggressive behavior, but to say xyz breed is dangerous just because it's that breed is ignorant. One of my neighbors has a cocker spaniel that's a SOB and would attack you w/o provocation. Is that dog more dangerous than a properly raised and trained American Staffordshire or German Shepard? Bottom line is the way you raise the dog.

If a Dangerous Animal (Yes a Siberian Husky is a Dangerous Animal) comes onto my property and attacks me or my familly (yes pets are part of the familly) I would shoot it.

Grown up around dogs all my life. It's not the dog its the way you raise it. Granted some breeds are more prone to aggressive behavior, but to say xyz breed is dangerous just because it's that breed is ignorant. One of my neighbors has a cocker spaniel that's a SOB and would attack you w/o provocation. Is that dog more dangerous than a properly raised and trained American Staffordshire or German Shepard? Bottom line is the way you raise the dog.

Woof Woof!!!

gotta run my master is coming and I see a squirrel;)