JohnRich

Republicans are Happier than Democrats

News:
Some 45% of all Republicans report being very happy, compared with just 30% of Democrats. This finding has been around a long time; Republicans have been happier than Democrats every year since the General Social Survey began taking its measurements in 1972.

Of course, there's a more obvious explanation for the Republicans' happiness edge. Republicans tend to have more money than Democrats, and -- as we've already discovered -- people who have more money tend to be happier.

But even this explanation only goes so far. If one controls for household income, Republicans still hold a significant edge: that is, poor Republicans are happier than poor Democrats; middle-income Republicans are happier than middle-income Democrats, and rich Republicans are happier than rich Democrats.
Source: Pew Research

Isn't this much like Pessimists are happier than Optimists?

Pessimists say things are going to go badly and when they do go badly they have the joy of being right and when things don't go badly they having the joy of things going right for a change, as contrasted with Optimists that are continually disappointed when things go badly and only rarely the joy of things going right.

:P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

What is funny is that with all their smarts they elected one of the dumbest presidents ever....

First time I agreed with you view point in a long time ;):P:)
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Republicans tend to have more money than Democrats, and -- as we've already discovered -- people who have more money tend to be happier.
---------------------------------------------------
I don't doubt that Republicans are happier or that they/we tend to make more money. However, I dispute that more money equals happiness. Many tests have proven that there is no correlation between happiness and money. As a matter of fact when trying to find a correlation with money the only thing they found was that married people tended to be happier than single people.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Perhaps it's because Republicans, being on the whole more socially conservative than Democrats, tend to be more complacent with the status quo, whereas Democrats are more likely to perceive injustices, and to be dissatisfied with a society in which they exist.

My armchair psychology for the day.

Republicans have been happier than Democrats every year since the General Social Survey began taking its measurements in 1972.

Something kind of interesting is that the nature of "republican" has changed since 1972. In 1972, the vast majority of white South was democratic; yes, a different variety, but the term "yellow dog democrat" didn't exist for nothing.

Not sure what it means, but it's still kind of interesting.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ignorance is Bliss!

Quote:
"...data from the widely used General Social Survey (GSS) consistently show that Republicans are better educated than Democrats (on average, they have more than half a year more education and hold a higher final degree)."
Source: TCS Daily

They have been doing this for how many years? I thought I heard on the radio it has been many many years...
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Republicans have been happier than Democrats every year since the General Social Survey began taking its measurements in 1972.

Something kind of interesting is that the nature of "republican" has changed since 1972. In 1972, the vast majority of white South was democratic; yes, a different variety, but the term "yellow dog democrat" didn't exist for nothing.

Wendy W.

I think you are right on the money. I have heard many many times that JFK would be considered a republican today (I am not trying to start anything please) Just pointing out a shift in the parties.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

but if they're so much happier, why is right wing radio epitimized by snarling attack dogs like Rush, whereas John Stewart seems pretty chipper?

I can see some difference being plausible. You got a core of Democrats with a world persecution complex, and another core that feels guilty about being well off.

The survey said the lowest deltas were during the Bush Sr admin and the early Reagan years, when the economy was poor. Still very happy during the Clinton boom.

Ignorance is Bliss!

Quote:
"...data from the widely used General Social Survey (GSS) consistently show that Republicans are better educated than Democrats (on average, they have more than half a year more education and hold a higher final degree)."

Hmmmm, blue states are better educated than red states. Of course that's a rough calculation, but I would like to know more about the data collection process.

data from the widely used General Social Survey (GSS) consistently show that Republicans are better educated than Democrats

What is funny is that with all their smarts they elected one of the dumbest presidents ever....B|

Good point!!!! And they can't even debate about it while refering to substance and performance, just rhetoric.

Perhaps it's because Republicans, being on the whole more socially conservative than Democrats, tend to be more complacent with the status quo, whereas Democrats are more likely to perceive injustices, and to be dissatisfied with a society in which they exist.

My armchair psychology for the day.

Good point, if you're desensitised, you tend to ignore the guy kicking you in the balls.

Wendy W.

I think you are right on the money. I have heard many many times that JFK would be considered a republican today (I am not trying to start anything please) Just pointing out a shift in the parties.

True dat, Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, whereas when LBJ signed minority legislation it chased away the Yellow Dog southern Dems.

Ignorance is Bliss!

Quote:

Formal education does not exempt one from being ignorant.... (edited to add: "ignernt," as we say here in Arkansas.) :D

Neither does wealth.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail