hobbes4star

South Dakota ban's abortion

When do you think abortion should be allowed?

Back alley abortions will certainly be fewer if abortion at any time is allowed.

If, however, at some point it is a life worthy of protection like any other baby outside the womb, then I think the desire to have fewer back alley abortions cannot outweigh that taking of the life.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I also know women who have had abortions, and I realize there are a lot of extremely painful and psychological difficulties, feelings of shame, unforgiveness towards oneself, etc, that one can experience because of abortion ( I realize this isn't the same for everyone). I would not want to see my friends have to go through all that trauma[:/]

Nothing like the trauma of getting thrown out out of the house because you got pregnant in high school. (My mom is among that category).

It's a barrel of fun dropping out of high school, having to support yourself and the kid, losing a chunk of your family and friends, and perhaps doing it alone.

At least now, women can choose which trauma they want to deal with.

Abortion is not the best solution. But it should remain among the options.***

I couldn't have said it better myself. I am actually sitting here speechless that SD is passing such a law. No doubt politically motivated. I just hope it quickly goes to the supreme court and is rule UNCONSTITUTIONAL. >:(

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

I thought this quote from another thread fit in here:

But if a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission.

I don't think that the prohibition of killing another person should be considered a "taboo".

When do you think it is a person deserving of protection?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Abortion is not the best solution. But it should remain among the options.***

I couldn't have said it better myself. I am actually sitting here speechless that SD is passing such a law. No doubt politically motivated. I just hope it quickly goes to the supreme court and is rule UNCONSTITUTIONAL. >:(

If the SC is smart, it will allow a lower court to rule it unconstitutional (plenty of precedent for that), and refuse to hear the case.

Title edited to remove redundant apostrophe

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No doubt politically motivated

I would say its more "life" motivated.

Also, Icon stated somewhere in these two threads on this subject that he hasnt had a chance to have an opinion one way or the other because he has not faced this situation. I do not agree with that line of thinking. Ive never faced an abortion yet I am strong in my belief that it is wrong. If it were only a womans body then yes she should choose, but shes choosing for someone else to. Were not talking about tattoos and piercings and her right to deform her body with branding, were talking about killing a life inside of her. (BTW I do not consider tattoos, piercings and branding to be deforming ones body, its an example)
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I appreciate you writing about your beliefs and your point of view so honestly.
I really wanted to see another point of view on this issue and that you provided.

Thank you very much for you post.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

........ brain hole.....

I knew it!! I knew it :P:D:D

Its only because of SC. :|

:)

Sorry, I couldn't resist ........:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

as a rule of thumb, in my opnion, in the third trimester

Then alot of the babys sitting in every hospital around the world are dead. Even though they are outside of the womb, eating , breathing and crying. A baby can live without its mother as early as around 20 weeks.

at which point abortions should only performed to save the life of the mother

An abortion at the thrid trimester.... would be turn the baby around, dialate the cervix as the baby moves down, sever its brain stem then let the uterus expell the baby.. So wouldnt it be just as easy to let the mother deliver the child by a c-section since she is in the last phase and the child can survive without her?

painfull life...

Painful death.

If the SC is smart, it will allow a lower court to rule it unconstitutional (plenty of precedent for that), and refuse to hear the case.

As a matter of fact, some colleagues and I were discussing this, and that's exactly what we think is likely to happen.

An abortion at the thrid trimester.... would be turn the baby around, dialate the cervix as the baby moves down, sever its brain stem then let the uterus expell the baby.. So wouldnt it be just as easy to let the mother deliver the child by a c-section since she is in the last phase and the child can survive without her?

If that is medically viable and the parents (mostly mom) so chose, then I don't have a problem with that.

That doesnt make sense then, your saying in one post abortion unless the baby is viable, in this one your saying partial birth abortion of a viable child is no big deal? So what is it? Abortion unless viable, or abortion as long as the child isnt born?

That doesnt make sense then, your saying in one post abortion unless the baby is viable, in this one your saying partial birth abortion of a viable child is no big deal? So what is it? Abortion unless viable, or abortion as long as the child isnt born?

no, it sounds like he doesn't have an issue with your proposal as long as the mom doesn't either.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

no, it sounds like he doesn't have an issue with your proposal as long as the mom doesn't either.

But that negates his stance that abortion is okay until the baby is viable. He should state abortion is okay until the baby is born.

Why stop at that, why not say for the first year is we change our minds we can terminate them.

But that negates his stance that abortion is okay until the baby is viable.

your position is that the baby is viable with a c-section - it's an agreement with your proposal to c-section, not agreement with your description of the partial birth abort. You made it vague by describing two things and he answered the last one - you were assuming he answered the first one. (that's how I read it anyway - dekker can speak for himself)

Unless your only argument is the caviat about the mother (mostly) consenting to the c-section. But most everybody slips that in all the time - it's a conditioned response. Like saying excuse me when you bump into someone.

Edit: "Why stop at that, why not say for the first year is we change our minds we can terminate them." I've stated I'm a big believer in abortions through the 80th trimester. It's really tough dealing with teenagers.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

your position is that the baby is viable with a c-section

If the baby needed to be either aborted or born that day then yes, the medical problem with a woman that far along would be something that has to do with the tramas of a natural birth or some virus (chicken poxs, herpes) that make it to where she can not deliver vaginally. However partial birth abortions are MORE tramatic on the body of the woman then a natural delivery. Since it still comes through the vagina but before it is completly born it gets its spine severed, then the rest of the baby is born vaginally.