JohnRich

England & Criminal Violence

Well, the more your criminals USE the guns they keep getting illegallyto commit assaults occasioning no harm:S, the more you're going to NEED the same TOOLS to put a stop to the rampant criminal attacks you're going to suffer.

The problem seems to be that you're under the impression that Britain is awash with illeglly held guns which criminals are using all the time. The reason that gun crimes make the British news but don't make the American news is the same reason that; "Dog Bites Man isn't news. Man Bites Dog is news!"

I still don't see the reasoning behind John's initial argument about guns being used in COMMON Assaults. Pray tell how you'd use a gun purely to assault someone to their non-injury!?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

It is so funny how JR continues to run this disinformation campaign regarding guns / crime in the UK.

No matter how many times he is bombarded with facts – he just continues soon after in another thread. Do a search for these threads – it is hilarious. JR’s persistency in this matter again earns him the "Iraqi Information Minister Award". JR you crack me up…
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

We live in a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy; minorities are supposed to be protected against abuse and tyranny by the majority.

-Jeffrey

The UK is a democracy, with a lifetime head of state (aka Monarch), it is not a republic, perhaps you would like to see that changed as well, or maybe you just didn't know about it, where did you go to school, did you major in ID?

Why yes, I think that a monarchy is a sickeningly archaic idea, and is a remnant of a time when education was so poor and in short supply that societies may have needed an elite few to do their thinking for them.

Nowadays, oligarchy is appaling. Any society that still clings to it is retarded.
Besides, as I understand it, the U.K.'s monarchy is clearly NOT what makes the laws by which you live. (Or rather "UNDER which you live." Your nation seems very much to have the bootheel of the law on its throat.)

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Well, the more your criminals USE the guns they keep getting illegallyto commit assaults occasioning no harm:S, the more you're going to NEED the same TOOLS to put a stop to the rampant criminal attacks you're going to suffer.

The problem seems to be that you're under the impression that Britain is awash with illeglly held guns which criminals are using all the time.

They used them to kill a female cop real recently, didn't they?
They used them to kill that female news reporter, didn't they?

Why did you "quote" me but put copy that I had not typed into the quoted material, anyway? :S

The reason that gun crimes make the British news but don't make the American news is the same reason that; "Dog Bites Man isn't news. Man Bites Dog is news!"

Gun crimes don't make the American news??! :S Are you mad? They make the American news all the fucking TIME. In my local newspaper alone, in the last week, I could show you at least five articles about gun crime.

All the more reason I want to retain the right to keep and bear arms.
Defense is needed.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

We live in a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy; minorities are supposed to be protected against abuse and tyranny by the majority.

-Jeffrey

The UK is a democracy, with a lifetime head of state (aka Monarch), it is not a republic, perhaps you would like to see that changed as well, or maybe you just didn't know about it, where did you go to school, did you major in ID?

Why yes, I think that a monarchy is a sickeningly archaic idea, and is a remnant of a time when education was so poor and in short supply that societies may have needed an elite few to do their thinking for them.

Nowadays, oligarchy is appaling. Any society that still clings to it is retarded.
Besides, as I understand it, the U.K.'s monarchy is clearly NOT what makes the laws by which you live. (Or rather "UNDER which you live." Your nation seems very much to have the bootheel of the law on its throat.)

-Jeffrey

Monarchy is not an idea it is reality.

What caused you to be so bitter against the UK?

Talking about oligarchies, that is kind of the USA today, so you should be happy about that.

I loved the U.K. -- I was a mild anglophile -- as a kid and teen, and on into college (what you call "university"). I studied abroad at Middlesex University (Hertfordshire) in my senior year. I really enjoyed it... but then, I was not "political" then.

When I got back, my pistol license had been approved where I was living then. I soon became aware, as I had not been before, about the political and social issues that surround gun ownership. And then came 1997's gun ban in Britain -- to say nothing of what I learned about the right to self defense in England over the preceding decades (regarding its deterioration at law).

I would love to be able to love Britain again, and I would, except for the utter lunacy of its legal reality.

It seems, from this view, that you are really on the other side of the looking glass, there.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Go ahead and obfuscate when you know perfectly well what I mean.

The notion that your system is a monarchy is what appalls me. There is no room in the world for such a deplorable system. Aren't we more "progressive" than to have KINGS and QUEENS in this modern time?

Doesn't that fly in the face of "all men are created equal"?
Funny how so many countries make fun of the Americans, but WE are the ones who have that CODIFIED IN OUR CONSTITUTION.

Does it not bother you that some are considered to be superior just by virtue of their birth?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Does it not bother you that some are considered to be superior just by virtue of their birth?

And you believe GWB got elected how . . . ? :o

Our SYSTEM does not DICTATE IMPLICITLY that he gets to rule because of his birth.

Can anyone just "run for King" over there?

Your argument falters...

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

And you believe GWB got elected how . . . ? :o

oh that was weak. :|

Yeah, I just established that.

-Jeffrey

sorry, you beat me to it. :ph34r:

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Can anyone just "run for King" over there?

But since you like to argue . . .

We obviously don't have a monarchy here, but neither can just anyone successfully "run for president".

Do you believe GWB could've been elected president (or governor, or mayor) without his family ties and the republican machine that supports that family behind him? Hardly.

Royalty here isn't as simple as a birthright, but it sure helps to come from the right money.

. . =(_8^(1)

Do you believe GWB could've been elected president (or governor, or mayor) without his family ties and the republican machine that supports that family behind him? Hardly.

interesting example and choice of words there. I wonder if you would have stated things differently had Clinton or any other democrat been in office.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

interesting example and choice of words there. I wonder if you would have stated things differently had Clinton or any other democrat been in office.

Sure, if we were talking about Clinton, I'd describe a guy who fought his way to the top, which might diminish my thought that our system tends to run moneyed candidates only. I guess you have to be rich, or be damned good at getting the rich ones to back you.

. . =(_8^(1)

Sure, if we were talking about Clinton, I'd describe a guy who fought his way to the top, which might diminish my thought that our system tends to run moneyed candidates only. I guess you have to be rich, or be damned good at getting the rich ones to back you.

MIGHT diminsh you thought? Let me remind you that old billy-boy held office for two terms. Oh, but it's such an evil system we have here... not at all dissimilar to the evil monarchy across the pond...

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

MIGHT diminsh you thought? Let me remind you that old billy-boy held office for two terms. Oh, but it's such an evil system we have here... not at all dissimilar to the evil monarchy across the pond...

Billy-boy or not, our election system is all about money. It's evil, just a different kind.

. . =(_8^(1)

They make the American news all the fucking TIME. In my local newspaper alone, in the last week, I could show you at least five articles about gun crime.

Aah. Do our work for us please Jeffrey. I have never seen a 'gun crime' article in the local newspaper and to see them in the nationals is not common. We just don't have the same culture as you guys. 5 crimes a week - I thought that you only had guns to defend yourselves against bad guys. When I asked one of the American gun lobbyists on here about how often he had defended himself a year or so back the response was - a dozen or so times, yet I, nor anyone i know, has ever been in a situation when a gun would have helped.

If JRs facts are correct then crime is indeed increasing - does that mean we all need to 'tool up' to protect ourselves, and if so do you honestly believe that this influx of guns to protect would not be used to attach as well?

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

*yawn* if you lived over here all your life you'd know there isnt a problem like you are making out. I hate to tell you. Shhhh, dont tell anyone. Come closer.... but sometimes the media sensationalise things. But shhhhhhh ok, that didnt come from me, roight ;)

Someone said they studied at Hetfordshire/Middlesex. Now that is hardly the crime capital of the UK. The mean streets of Harpenden or St Albans. Behave!

You go to our A&E departments and ask them how many gun related injuries they see and then ask one of your A&E departments. Naturally the bigger cities with the dodgy estates would have a slightly higher familiarity with these wounds, but I would go so far as to say it would be difficult for a nurse or doctor to remember when they last dealt with something like this.

OK, a policeman was killed. Yeah, tragic, but shit happens from time to time. I fail to see how by being armed it will prevent furthur incidents as it will just push offenders to carry too.

We can get in an argument with someone, stand up for ourselves without fear that they are gonna pull a gun on us or have this concealed carry permit.

Please stop preaching the benefits of gun ownership, we all know what society we live in, probably better than you and we can better imagine what life would be like with them.

Im waiting for the day when we hear that John has gone psycho on some old lady who asked him if he had the time, because thats the impression you paint [:/] CALM IT DOWN GEEZ

News:

Alarming Rise in Use of Weapons

VIOLENT crime is continuing to rise across the United Kingdom and the use of guns and weaponry is becoming almost "commonplace", according to new Home Office figures.

Weapons including knives, clubs, firearms, stones and glasses or bottles were used in 24 per cent of violent incidents in 2004-05 – up from 21 per cent the previous year. All categories measured by the British Crime Survey, which interviews thousands of people about their experiences of crime, showed a rise of between one and six per cent. Weapons were used in 26 per cent of common assaults, up from 20 per cent.

Home Office figures published in July showed that violence against the person incidents recorded by police in England and Wales have topped one million for the first time.

Total recorded violent crime – including sexual offences and robbery – stood at 1,184,702 in 2004-05, up seven per cent year on year.
Source: Yorkshire Post

Yeah, that gun confiscation did wonders to the violent crime rate!

As I think many others have pointed out, your obsession with this topic is hilarious to those of us who actually LIVE in the UK.

You can thrash around and grandstand all you like, but you will never convince a Brit that you are right. Ergo, you are wrong. QED.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

over new years eve there was 38 stabbings in England, I think I heard about two incidents of gun crime. By your logic John we should let everyone carry a knife. :|
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

The notion that your system is a monarchy is what appalls me. There is no room in the world for such a deplorable system. Aren't we more "progressive" than to have KINGS and QUEENS in this modern time?

Can you be specific, your rant contains no reasoning. I cannot see why you find it so deplorable.

Doesn't that fly in the face of "all men are created equal"?
Funny how so many countries make fun of the Americans, but WE are the ones who have that CODIFIED IN OUR CONSTITUTION.

Who says all are equal, all have equal rights but all are not equal.
In the USA hard cash and family tree play a big part in how equal you are, the Kennedy's the Bush's there is a big list of privalaged families, the lack of formal titles does not mean that the USA is free from social classes.

-Jeffrey