JohnRich

The Progress of World Freedom

News:
Freedom gaining ground around the globe, report says

In spite of ongoing war, terrorist attacks and natural disasters, there is reason for optimism about the past year, says Freedom House, a non-partisan American-based organization dedicated to promoting democratic values across the globe.

"On the whole the state of freedom showed substantial improvement worldwide," said its annual survey, Freedom in the World. "The global picture suggests that the past year was one of the most successful for freedom since (we) began measuring world freedom in 1972."

Part of the upward trend was a "measurable improvement" in several Arab countries and the Palestinian authority, it said.

In Iraq, Egypt and the Palestinian territories, meanwhile, there was "increased competition" in elections, and women's suffrage was introduced in Kuwait. Saudi Arabia's media environment also improved...
Source

Thank you, President Bush.

only a totalitarian society would claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal. freedom is defined as the ability of citizen to live his life without government interference. congressman ron paul august 2004
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

Is it just me, or does it seem like we should just out right say "For those of you who dont take too kindly to freedom and the democratic process... dont get too comfortable, the world police will be there soon enough." ???

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

Freedom House is a partly government-funded American advocacy group in the Wilsonian tradition, which advocates the global spread of democracy, and sees it as the historical task of the United States to further this goal. It is best known for its annual reports on the degree of democratic freedoms in each country, by which it seeks to assess the current state of civil and political rights, as distinct from human rights in general. It has been accused by critics of being culturally biased in its methods and definitions.

The organization—founded by Wendell Wilkie and Eleanor Roosevelt in 1941—describes itself as a clear voice for democracy and freedom around the world. It is an American organisation, with offices in New York City and Washington, DC, as well as a number of other countries around the world, and it is non-partisan in the American sense, meaning it does not identify with either the Republican or the Democratic parties.

my emphasis

So says wikipedia ... clicky

There are a lot of free Dead people, who were killed by people (from all sides) who had absolutely No right to take those lives - my €0.02

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I don't dispute the findings of the organization, but I am still baffled that some still mistake democracy for freedom.:|
But I am all for a world with "more freedom".:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."