greybeard

Using kittens as wind drift indicators

Possom are evil.

Do they fly well?

Possums fly real well off the porch with 30-06 propulsionB|. Gutshot the dang thang and it turned and came after me, no shit, its entrails were dragging behind it as it came back on the porch. Only brought one round and had to go back inside for another round. Second shot was with the barrel between its eyes. Not sure if it saw it coming but I sure the hell saw it going. Man can possum fly;)
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Nothing like our Possoms.

Here you go

Possums

What is it?

The possum is high on cuteness, and equally high in nuisance value. The Australian brush tailed possum was introduced into New Zealand in 1837 to establish a fur trade.

In its native land the possum is up against dingoes, bush fires and less palatable vegetation, but in New Zealand conditions are so favourable it often breeds twice in one year. It is estimated that the New Zealand possum population now tops 70 million and chomps its way through seven million tonnes of vegetation per year.

Why are possums a problem?

The damage to native forests can be seen all too clearly in many areas. Possums ignore old leaves and select the best new growth. In some areas they have eaten whole canopies of rata, totara, titoki, kowhai and kohekohe.

Possums compete with native birds for habitat and for food such as insects and berries. They also disturb nesting birds, eat their eggs and chicks and may impact on native land snails.

Dairy and deer farmers have the added worry of possums spreading bovine tuberculosis.

Possums are a nuisance in suburban gardens, and sometimes even indoors.

Methods of control

Prevention: Deprive possums of nesting sites on your property by blocking off sheds and barns.

Individual trees can be protected with metal strips placed about a metre above ground level, as seen on telephone poles, to stop possums from climbing up.

You can protect trees with commercially available repellents, or homemade mixtures such as:

10 parts melted fat to one part kerosene. Allow to set, then spread on the base of the tree.
5 fresh eggs, 600 ml water, 150 ml acrylic paint. Stir well and apply 20 ml per tree after planting.
Bait Stations:

Bait stations are widely used by possum control agencies to give sustained control of possum populations, with minimal risk to humans, pets or livestock. A wide range of baits and bait stations are available for the home user. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and be aware of the first aid steps if the poison is accidentally eaten by humans or domestic animals.

A range of bait stations are also available. Most are made from plastic and are sealed at the top but open at the bottom for feeding. Protection from the weather increases the effective life of the poison. Bait stations should be fixed above ground, such as in a tree, where the possums can easily reach the bait. They need to be placed high enough to be clear of children, pets, livestock and ground-feeding birds, such as weka.

Each bait station will cover a range of 100 metres. Site the station where the possum is looking for food or on identifiable possum runs.

Timms Traps:

This trap is a strong bright yellow plastic `box' which in itself acts as a lure. The possum puts its head into a keyhole opening, attracted by a bait such as apple, kiwifruit or orange. Fruit baits make it unlikely that animals such as cats will be caught. When the possum investigates the bait a trigger is released which brings a striker rod up under the possum's neck.

If the bait is too large or too small it won't set off the trigger. An ideal size is 25mm in diameter.

Set Timms traps close to dry nest sites, around trees known to be possum favourites, indoors in the rafters or nailed to fenceposts or trees. Take care to set them out of reach of pets, children and ground-feeding birds, such as weka.

Timms traps are widely available and come with a comprehensive leaflet of instructions.

Cage Traps:

These are steel mesh cages with a trap door which is triggered when the animal takes the bait. Small pieces of fruit or a trail of curry and flour can be laid outside the trap to attract the possum. Tie the main bait to the trigger arm and set the trip pin only far enough to prevent a light wind from releasing the door.

The disadvantage of the cage trap is that you still have to kill the possum. Given the destruction possums are wreaking on the environment and economy it is irresponsible to catch and release.

Cyanide:

To use cyanide which is a vertebrate toxic agent (poison) you need to be an Approved Handler with a controlled substances license to store, sell, transport or use particular vertebrate poisons. Environmental Risk Management Authority (ERMA) manage controlled substances licensing.

Unlike bait stations, cyanide causes near-instant death of possums and allows easier recovery and monitoring of any operation. Cyanide is a highly volatile and toxic poison, which needs to be used with care.

We have 70 million of these pesky critters here.

We can certainly spare a few as wind drift indicators.

www.myspace.com/durtymac

Well, AFF students are too expensive to waste...
Glad to see the sense of humour wasn't wasted.
Hehehehe.;)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

There is in fact RELEVANT research on this very subject!:S

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_190.html

"Cats have a nonfatal terminal velocity (sounds like a contradiction in terms, but most small animals have this advantage). Once they orient themselves, they spread out like a parachute. There are cats on record that have fallen 20 stories or more without ill effects. As long as the cat doesn't land on something pointy, it's likely to walk away."

"1987 study from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Two vets examined 132 cases of cats that had fallen out of high-rise windows and were brought to the Animal Medical Center, a New York veterinary hospital, for treatment. On average the cats fell 5.5 stories, yet 90 percent survived. (Many did suffer serious injuries.)"

"broken bones and other injuries increased with the number of stories the cat had fallen--up to seven stories. Above seven stories, however, the number of injuries per cat sharply declined. In other words, the farther the cat fell, the better its chances of escaping serious injury.

The authors explained this seemingly miraculous result by saying that after falling five stories or so the cats reached a terminal velocity--that is, maximum downward speed--of 60 miles per hour. Thereafter, they hypothesized, the cats relaxed and spread themselves out like flying squirrels, minimizing injuries. This speculation is now widely accepted as fact."

So there you go... Feel free to use cats as WDIs - The Journal of American Veterinary Association clearly states that you're doing the cat a favour by chucking them out at altitude.:)

Of course, catching the cat afterwards and getting it into the plane for a repeat may present problems! I'd recommend declawed cats wiff all their teeth removed!:P

Mike.

Edited to add: Thinking about it... Cats can get stable & oriented within 100 ft of altitude... How many of YOU'SE can make the same claim from an unstable exit?[:/]

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

In the UK we use static line students.;)

don't get me started !!!!! :P

As I understand it, kittens weigh less and, thus, use less fuel to get to altitude. Static line students, besides having no real redeeming values (though some do go on make decent weights for packing in the wind), use more fuel, smell worse than dead kittens, and shake more on the ride to altitude than live kittens.

I'd really try to continue using kittens. Plus, on impact, you now have a dead kitten which has loads of uses - don't get me started on those....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Has this become an issue?

Kittens as wind drift indicators are only for use off antennas. All other uses are proscribed.

Don't forget the duct tape.

rl

what's the duct tape for, so you don't get the shit clawed out of you?

-the artist formerly known as sinker

Has this become an issue?

Kittens as wind drift indicators are only for use off antennas. All other uses are proscribed.

Don't forget the duct tape.

rl

please show some sensitivity >:( my kitten died the other day and its not funny. Its people like you that take the piss out of sad fucks like me that annoy me :S

Ok, so i post on the internet looking for sympathy, i know i shouldn't wash my dirty linnen in public, but i demand that you reply to my loss in a deadly serious manner, NO JOKING WILL BE TOLLERATED, do you not understand this? i'm going to cry to the moderators if you joke about my predicament (i'll conveniently ignore the fact i shouldn't be such a sad **** and spill my guts to the whole world about my cat on the internet in the first place if i don't want bad comments made)

please give me pathetic internet hugs and waste of time vibes

(((((((((((( :D )))))))))))))

The authors explained this seemingly miraculous result by saying that after falling five stories or so the cats reached a terminal velocity--that is, maximum downward speed--of 60 miles per hour. Thereafter, they hypothesized, the cats relaxed and spread themselves out like flying squirrels, minimizing injuries. This speculation is now widely accepted as fact."

So there you go... Feel free to use cats as WDIs - The Journal of American Veterinary Association clearly states that you're doing the cat a favour by chucking them out at altitude.:)

So you would have to wear a wing suit to stay with them.
I wonder if they would try to claw you in freefall?

please show some sensitivity >:( my kitten died the other day and its not funny. Its people like you that take the piss out of sad fucks like me that annoy me :S

It's true, that's really sad. {{{{VIBES}}}} for your loss. Did you try hanging the remains over your headboard? Then you can see it's little face every morning and remember the good times. It does a lot for closing the grieving process.

At least until it's little eyeballs start to sag....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants