rushmc

So Bush Manipulated the Intell To Go to War

October 9th, 1999 Letter to President Clinton Signed by Senators Levin, Lieberman, Lautenberg, Dodd, Kerrey, Feinstein, Mikulski, Daschle, Breaux, Johnson, Inouye, Landrieu, Ford and Kerry -- all Democrats

"We urge you, after consulting with Congress and consistent with the US Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions, including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."

Bill Clinton > February 17, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace, and we have to use force, our purpose is clear: We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."

Madeleine Albright > February 1, 1998

"We must stop Saddam from ever again jeopardizing the stability and the security of his neighbors with weapons of mass destruction."

Al Gore > September 23, 2002

"We know that he has stored nuclear supplies, secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."

Joe Biden > August 4, 2002
"This is a guy who is an extreme danger to the world, and this is a guy who is in every way possible seeking weapons of mass destruction."

Chuck Schumer > October 10, 2002
"It is Hussein's vigorous pursuit of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons, and his present and future potential support for terrorist acts and organizations that make him a danger to the people of the united states."

John Kerry > January 23, 2003
"Without question we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator leading an impressive regime. He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. And now he's miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction. His consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction."

Sandy Berger > February 18, 1998

"He'll use those weapons of mass destruction again as he has 10 times since 1983."

I have dosens more

Hillary Clinton > January 22, 2003
"I voted for the Iraqi resolution. I consider the prospect of a nuclear-armed Saddam Hussein who can threaten not only his neighbors but the stability of the region and the world, a very serious threat to the United States."

"We know he continues to attempt to gain access to additional capability, including nuclear capability."

Johnny Edwards > February 6, 2003
"The question is whether we're going to allow this man who's been developing weapons of mass destruction continue to develop weapons of mass destruction, get nuclear capability and get to the place where -- if we're going to stop him if he invades a country around him -- it'll cost millions of lives as opposed to thousands of lives."

"First of all, we don't know exactly what he has. It's been five years since inspectors have been in there, number one. Number two, it is clear that he has residual of chemical weapons and biological weapons, number one."

Senator Bob Graham > December 8, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has and has had for a number of years a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."

John Kerry > February 23, 1998
"Saddam Hussein has already used these weapons and has made it clear that he has the intent to continue to try, by virtue of his duplicity and secrecy, to continue to do so. That is a threat to the stability of the Middle East. It is a threat with respect to the potential of terrorist activities on a global basis. It is a threat even to regions near but not exactly in the Middle East."

Bill Clinton > December 17, 1998
"Earlier today, I ordered America's armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq.... Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors."

Hillary Clinton > October 10, 2002
"In the four years since the inspections, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability and his nuclear program."

Dick Gephardt > September 23, 2002
"(I have seen) a large body of intelligence information over a long time that he is working on and has weapons of mass destruction. Before 1991, he was close to a nuclear device. Now, you'll get a debate about whether it's one year away or five years away."

Russell Feingold > October 9, 2002
"With regard to Iraq, I agree Iraq presents a genuine threat, especially in the form of weapons of mass destruction: chemical, biological and potentially nuclear weapons. I agree that Saddam Hussein is exceptionally dangerous and brutal, if not uniquely so, as the president argues."

Johnny Edwards > January 7, 2003
"Serving on the intelligence committee and seeing day after day, week after week, briefings on Saddam's weapons of mass destruction and his plans on using those weapons, he cannot be allowed to have nuclear weapons. It's just that simple. The whole world changes if Saddam ever has nuclear weapons."

John Kerry > January 31, 2003
"If you don't believe...Saddam Hussein
is a threat with nuclear weapons, then
you shouldn't vote for me."

Bill Nelson > September 14, 2002
"I believe he has chemical and biological weapons. I think he's trying to develop nuclear weapons, and the fact that he might use those is a considerable threat to us."

Al Gore > September 23, 2002
"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."

Tom Daschle > February 11, 1998
"The (Clinton) administration has said, 'Look, we have exhausted virtually our diplomatic effort to get the Iraqis to comply with their own agreements and with international law. Given that, what other option is there but to force them to do so?' That's what they're saying. This is the key question. And the answer is we don't have another option. We have got to force them to comply, and we are doing so militarily."

Bill Richardson > May 29, 1998
"The threat of nuclear proliferation is one of the big challenges that we have now, especially by states that have nuclear weapons, outlaw states like Iraq."

Hillary Clinton > October 10, 2002
"It is clear, however, that if left unchecked Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capability to wage biological and chemical warfare and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."

Al Gore > December 16, 1998
"[I]f you allow someone like Saddam Hussein to get nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, chemical weapons, biological weapons, how many people is he going to kill with such weapons? He has already demonstrated a willingness to use such weapons..."
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I got no chain letter.....

What no responce how all those quoted manipulated the same intell:S
Abraham Lincoln

You realize of course, (because you're an intelligent individual who couldn't possibly be stupid enough to over look this fact), that all those statements are based on the same allegedly manipulated intelligence provided by the US intelligence community.

So if that intelligence had been manipulated, all statements that stemmed from it would be flawed being as they are, based on that manipulated evidence.

Now I'm not saying the evidence was manipulated - I personally have no idea. But posting examples of statements made on the basis of that same intelligence is simply tautological self-corroboration.

There's a good reason self-corroboration is inadmissible in court - it is of zero evidential value and yet can confuse jurors with low IQ's.

Great. So the morons from the other side had it wrong as well. Is that the new justification for going to Iraq?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I got no chain letter.....

You personally gathered and sourced all of those quotes?

What no responce how all those quoted manipulated the same intell

Do a search and look up the other countless times the exact same post has been made. The reasons why it's a bogus argument have already been posted. No use repeating it again.

>No use repeating it again.

Was on Rush Limbaugh's web site, and there is an interesting read that you may or may not like to look at.

Saddam Hussein's Defense Speech
"Bush lied and I want my country back"

What harm would it do to take a little look. Want hurt ya, just don't tell anybody you did. What they don't know what hurt em.

So if that intelligence had been manipulated, all statements that stemmed from it would be flawed being as they are, based on that manipulated evidence

There are statements there from 1998. Thats Pre Bush.

Now if someone wanted to say that a group manipulated the intel, I might be able to buy that. But to claim it was all Bush is wrong and the proof is in the quotes from 1998.

I do? Not at all. Just pointing out that your propaganda is not new, it's been around the block a few times.

I enjoy debating view points and I learn things from opposing points of view. But regurgitation of talking points from pundits is a waste of time.

Rush, those with half a functioning brain never blamed Bush for manipulating anything. If this has been your basis for condemning "liberals" (by your definition) then you could do yourself a favor and actually start reading what those people believe is their justification rather than parroting some strawman argument which seems to have been pulled directly from some "right wingers" arse.

Those who paid attention rolled their eyes and were pissed off by ALL politicians who contributed to the perpetuation of the inaccurate assessment of Iraqs military capabilities.

As far as manipulation : I think those who have bought up the word have discussed it as the manipulation of public opinion or the manipulation of the media (especially Judith Miller via Chalabi).

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

So you are saying that Kennedy, Shumer, Pelosi, and other Senators are no longer saying (yet today) "Bush" manipulated intell as an excuse to go to war?
Abraham Lincoln

those with half a functioning brain never blamed Bush for manipulating anything.

that is such a Personal Attack on about 20 people on this site :S

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

those with half a functioning brain never blamed Bush for manipulating anything.

Those with >0.5 brain or <0.5 brain?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Those with >0.5 brain or <0.5 brain?

:D you know, about half of them are below average;);)

but they know who they are (or maybe they don't......)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Senators.

Half a brain

That's why there're two senators per state, duh!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Do a search and look up the other countless times the exact same post has been made. The reasons why it's a bogus argument have already been posted. No use repeating it again.

but the libs keep saying the same false things so all you can do is keep reminding them of the facts.

At this present time,( and during the time since the end of World War II ) the United States of America has the most dishonest, immoral, coniving evil group of people running the country that has ever existed.

They are on the most slippery slope possible, and do not really care about the American people.

Most Americans have been sold off to China.

However, it won't last much longer.

Bill Cole