TheAnvil

Bill Bennett Remarks

According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, 43% of violent crime arrestees were black.

Which only indicates the injustice of racial profiling, and nothing more.

Only if you presume that the cops go around arresting innocent black people and framing them for crimes, just for sport.

Only if you presume that the cops go around arresting innocent black people and framing them for crimes, just for sport

Or you realize that there are many white criminals that are never given a second thought by the police because they are clean cut white guys.

And that happens all the time.

P.S. Posting facts does not make one a racist.

Would you agree, then, that the following statement is not racist?

"If you wanted to reduce hate crimes against minorities, you could, if that was your sole purpose, you could kill every white baby and child in the South, and your hate crime rate would go down."

EDIT: I mistook that to which I replied as pertaining to Bennett's statement, not to the posting of the FBI stats. My apologies for catching this only after my posting, but I think it's still a worthwhile question to consider in light of the poll.

>I said "if you torture infants you will get better gas mileage."

I think this is a horrible position and you need to apologize to all the infants and mothers in the world immediately. You should also quit your job and take up volunteer work in daycare baby rooms - as long as it's supervised.

Edit: I'm changing my vote. I really want a reuben sammich.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Like he said: his example is technically correct . . .

""We have seen more than once that the public welfare may call upon the best citizens for their lives. It would be strange if it could not call upon those who already sap the strength of the state for these lesser sacrifices . . . It is better for the world, if instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind. The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes. Three generations of imbeciles are enough." - Oliver Wendall Holmes, Buck v. Bell, 1927

This thinking remained around until people began actually doing it around 1935. As I recall, around 500,000 were sterilized.

> . . . but not a morally acceptable way to control crime.

Which is why he's getting shit for it.

>However, apparently some people think he's made racist remarks.

Apparently the senate does too. Recently introduced resolution:

----------------------------------------
Now, therefore, be it Resolved;

SEC. 1. That the Senate strongly condemns William J. Bennett's reprehensible statements of September 28, 2005.

SEC. 2. That the Senate believes that such statements are unbecoming of a former Cabinet Secretary.
----------------------------------------

As does Bush, via McClellan:

"The President believes the comments were not appropriate."

>Apparently the senate does too. As does Bush, via McClellan:

Well, politics isn't about appearances now is it?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The Republican senate disappoints me once again.

Not nearly enough people find my posts nauseating. I must be doing a horrid job as a JACKASS. Somebody should buy me some tequila to cheer me up.

:S
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

>Not nearly enough people find my posts nauseating. I must be
>doing a horrid job as a JACKASS.

Yep, alcohol would help. I recall one ski trip that involved a lot of skydivers and a lot of alcohol. On the way back I was driving and Susie was talking a mile a minute. At one point she said "Am I talking a lot? I'm talking a lot. I'm even annoying myself."

The last time I was heavily drinking and skiing, somebody bet me US$50 I wouldn't go down the black diamond bare-chested. Of course, I did, then got bet another US$50 to do it again. I was sick for weeks.

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

His comments while maybe correct since most crime and most inmates are black. I don't buy racial profiling as being the reason that more blacks are in prison....I think more blacks are in prison since it seems to almost be a right of passage in black cultures. My family and friends would be very upset with me if I went to prison for stealing....In some circles it is not looked down on, but instead looked at as another way "The Man" keeps a black man down.

Little hint: Don't do the crimes, and you will not go to jail for the crimes.

Anyway Bennetts remarks were quite stupid. Even without the selective editing that is being used it was still quite a stupid thing to say.

When I first heard NPR play that quote I thought "Wow, there has got to be more than that and it was just taken out of context"...When I READ the whole statement, I thought, "Well he sure is an idiot."
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Only if you presume that the cops go around arresting innocent black people and framing them for crimes, just for sport

Or you realize that there are many white criminals that are never given a second thought by the police because they are clean cut white guys.

Look at the murder stats. This is the crime that is most often solved, and has reliable statistics. It will eliminate your argument about the quality of the statistics coming from "arrests".

Here they are:

Of the 15,813 murder offenders in 2002, 34% (5,356) were Whites, and 35% (5,579) were Blacks. (2% other, and 29% unknown)
- Source: FBI Uniform Crime Report.

There are 216 million Whites (83%), and 33 million Blacks (13%), in the U.S. (4% Other)
- Source: The World Almanac, 1996.

Thus, 35% of the murders are committed by the 13% of the population that is Black.

The overall murder rate for 2002 was 5.6 per 100,000 population.
The murder rate by Whites: 2.5
The murder rate by Blacks: 16.2

Thus, blacks are six times more likely than whites to commit murder.

Oh, and 91% of black murder victims are killed by black offenders.

End stats.

Are you going to dare to suggest that these too are all just the poor black men getting railroaded by white racist cops?

Look at the murder stats. This is the crime that is most often solved, and has reliable statistics.

I would prefer to look at enforcement of drug laws, as it gives us a larger sample of "criminals," and is a crime that can be selectively enforced on a broad scale, which is not the case with murder.

According to the federal Household Survey, "most current illicit drug users are white. There were an estimated 9.9 million whites (72 percent of all users), 2.0 million blacks (15 percent), and 1.4 million Hispanics (10 percent) who were current illicit drug users in 1998." And yet, blacks constitute 36.8% of those arrested for drug violations, over 42% of those in federal prisons for drug violations. African-Americans comprise almost 58% of those in state prisons for drug felonies; Hispanics account for 20.7%.

Source: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, National Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Summary Report 1998 (Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 1999), p. 13; Bureau of Justice Statistics, Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics 1998 (Washington DC: US Department of Justice, August 1999), p. 343, Table 4.10, p. 435, Table 5.48, and p. 505, Table 6.52; Beck, Allen J., Ph.D. and Mumola, Christopher J., Bureau of Justice Statistics, Prisoners in 1998 (Washington DC: US Department of Justice, August 1999), p. 10, Table 16; Beck, Allen J., PhD, and Paige M. Harrison, US Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics (Washington, DC: US Dept. of Justice, August 2001), p. 11, Table 16.

Among persons convicted of drug felonies in state courts, whites were less likely than African-Americans to be sent to prison. Thirty-three percent (33%) of convicted white defendants received a prison sentence, while 51% of African-American defendants received prison sentences. It should also be noted that Hispanic felons are included in both demographic groups rather than being tracked separately so no separate statistic is available.

Source: Durose, Matthew R., and Langan, Patrick A., Bureau of Justice Statistics, State Court Sentencing of Convicted Felons, 1998 Statistical Tables (Washington DC: US Department of Justice, December 2001), Table 25, available on the web at http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/scsc98st.htm, last accessed December 21, 2001.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/racepris.htm

It appears there is some selective enforcement/sentencing going on
after all.

Little hint: Don't do the crimes, and you will not go to jail for the crimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Illinois you can end up on death row for crimes you didn't do. Particularly if black or hispanic.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...nerations/porter.htm
http://www.truthinjustice.org/offer.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...xonerations/cruz.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...ations/hernandez.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...xonerations/cobb.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...ations/IL_Hobley.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...onerations/jones.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...nerations/lawson.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...ations/IL_Orange.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...ons/IL_Patterson.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...onerations/smith.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...nerations/tillis.htm
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/...s/DennisWilliams.htm

I was so thankful when those sentences were commuted. Kallend, thanks for reminding us of those stats. I really appreciate it.

I look forward to the day when we are just simply the Human race. When all forms that we fill out eliminate the 'race question'. When the poor, be them white, black, asian or native american realize and truly believe in their gut that they are equal and capable of very great things. The poor CAN rise above their roots. They don't need to ever forget, but they certainly can make such a positive mark on society.

That day I believe is coming. I don't know when, but I see it already starting to occur. College is more accessible to poor people. There are many laws passed that prohibit hiring based on race. This world would be a very boring place if we only had one race...Oh wait, we do...the Human Race!B|

Everyone, think about this....really consider how you as an individual can bring about this change. No matter how small or inconsequential it may seem, it will still make a difference. Forget about the gov't and it's faults. Forget about the politicians. Let's accomplish this as citizens and just regular people. If everyone here would talk to their friends and family about this idea, it would really spread.

Peace everyone,
Chris

BTW, I'm pissed at Bush about quite a few things right now...but that is another thread.

Are you going to dare to suggest that these too are all just the poor black men getting railroaded by white racist cops?

Where most states, including Texas, sweep it under the rug, Illinois has been particularly vigilant in looking out for exactly this sort of thing:

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1860433#1860433

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Everyone, think about this....really consider how you as an individual can bring about this change. No matter how small or inconsequential it may seem, it will still make a difference. Forget about the gov't and it's faults. Forget about the politicians. Let's accomplish this as citizens and just regular people. If everyone here would talk to their friends and family about this idea, it would really spread.

I thought that reality had pounded the last bit of life out of the idealist in me, but I just heard him take a breath. And when I looked over my shoulder, I saw him lying there, mangled, but with a smile.

Hope your light never dies, dude.

I don’t know the man personally but his remark was racists, and the fact that he didn’t apologize right away and actually tried to justify his stupidity makes it worst.

Race and status make a big difference in the way the law treats you. Any one denying that is simply blind.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that reality had pounded the last bit of life out of the idealist in me, but I just heard him take a breath. And when I looked over my shoulder, I saw him lying there, mangled, but with a smile.

Hope your light never dies, dude.

There is so much light/life when we take our minds off ourself, when we stop trying to find someone to place the blame and we just simply do something for someone else who is in need. When you think about it, we are all in need in one form or the other.

Thanks for your reply,
Chris

I see a lot of leftists out there trying to crucify Bill Bennett over the remarks he made on his radio show. To me, I find it odd that Mr. Bennett is criticized for stating that aborting every black baby in America would be morally reprehensible. However, apparently some people think he's made racist remarks.

Thoughts, anyone?

The line just before "morally reprehensible" was "but that would be impossible..." Bill Bennett is an arrogant racist.
....with a capital P and that rhymes with T and that spells TROUBLE!!!

In Illinois you can end up on death row for crimes you didn't do. Particularly if black or hispanic.

IL is mainly a Blue State right?

So much for the Repubs being behind it huh?

Also, as Rich pointed out that most murders are commited by blacks. Many other stats show that a larger number of blacks commit more crimes than whites. Add in the fact that in some black cultures Jail is a right of passage and you will clearly see why there are more blacks in jail than whites.

Your best angle to use here is to claim that more blacks are given a worse shot at equality and comit crimes to survive....But to claim that an entire system is after them (Even in a blue state) is not a good argument.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I would prefer to look at enforcement of drug laws, as it gives us a larger sample of "criminals," and is a crime that can be selectively enforced on a broad scale, which is not the case with murder

I would prefer you look at violent crimes that affect others, not some drug user.

The violent crime numbers show clearly that a smaller percentage of the population (blacks) commit the most violent crimes.

As for selective sentancing....Well the numbers don't take into account priors.

Who would you send to jail:
a) A guy busted for having 3 joints in his car.
b) A guy that was busted for the same three joints, but has a rap sheet?