TheAnvil

Bill Bennett Remarks

I see a lot of leftists out there trying to crucify Bill Bennett over the remarks he made on his radio show. To me, I find it odd that Mr. Bennett is criticized for stating that aborting every black baby in America would be morally reprehensible. However, apparently some people think he's made racist remarks.

Thoughts, anyone?
:S
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I see a lot of leftists out there trying to crucify Bill Bennett over the remarks he made on his radio show. To me, I find it odd that Mr. Bennett is criticized for stating that aborting every black baby in America would be morally reprehensible. However, apparently some people think he's made racist remarks.

Thoughts, anyone?

Bennett isn't racist, he's just an idiot. Just like when he was appointed by Reagan.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

he wasn't criticized for that summary statement, but rather for the obvious one:
"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down," said Bennett, author of "The Book of Virtues."

Nice try at revision. Even the White House came down on him.

Speaking of revision, complete the quote please.

Large reduction in impoverished population=large reduction in crime. Given the large percentage of black folks living below the poverty line, one would think the point of Mr. Bennett's remarks obvious.

Looking forward to seeing you complete the quote. Ever so forward. Quite eager in fact.

:D
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Given the large percentage of black folks living below the poverty line, one would think the point of Mr. Bennett's remarks obvious.

What about the large percentage of white folks that live below the poverty line? He didn't seem to be overly concerned about their effects on crime rates.

Larger # of white folks than black folks below the poverty line - one of myriad reasons affirmative action is utter bullshit. The percentage of black people living below the poverty line is quite high, which makes them the perfect demographic for the point of argument he made on his program.

Bennett has weathered criticism before. He'll do so again. I'm getting a kick out of watching much of it.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Larger # of white folks than black folks below the poverty line - one of myriad reasons affirmative action is utter bullshit.

You are comparing relative numbers, when you should compare relative percentages. You will find the rates are not equal. If they were, you would have a logical argument.

I happen to like Bill Bennett. I do think though that he used really poor judgement (haven't we all?) in the way he tried to make his point. Since he is a public figure and made the statement public, a public apology is in order. I don't believe he is a racist though.

I happen to like Bill Bennett. I do think though that he used really poor judgement (haven't we all?) in the way he tried to make his point. Since he is a public figure and made the statement public, a public apology is in order. I don't believe he is a racist though.

He used poor judgment 20 years ago too, when Sec. of Ed., and made some really stupid statements then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He used poor judgment 20 years ago too, when Sec. of Ed., and made some really stupid statements then.

And 25 years ago I used poor judgement when at the age of 16 I did donuts on a neighbor's lawn with my mom's Suburban, destroying their sprinkler system.:P

And Teddy Kennedy used poor judgement when he left Mary Jo in the car to die.

And GWB used poor judgement when he got his DUI.

And Bill Clinton used poor judgement when he lied under oath.

Are you getting my point yet?:S

No, with regards to AA it's pretty obvious that discrimination is discrimination. The lie that povety knows ethnic boundaries is just that - a lie.

I don't think it is obvious at all. I was not aware that different races were below the poverty line in the same proportion as their total population makeup. Could you please give us that link?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And 25 years ago I used poor judgement when at the age of 16 I did donuts on a neighbor's lawn with my mom's Suburban, destroying their sprinkler system.:P

And Teddy Kennedy used poor judgement when he left Mary Jo in the car to die.

And GWB used poor judgement when he got his DUI.

And Bill Clinton used poor judgement when he lied under oath.

Are you getting my point yet?:S

I expect good judgment from Cabinet members, Presidents etc. I think this is a reasonable expectation.

I have no expectations of you.

Get my point yet?

I prefer to hear things like this along with the entire discussion, speech, debate, whatever to get the proper context. This was apparently a discussion arguing the pro life position based on the tax revenues collection from abortions had they been allowed to be born and grow up. Wild, wacky, far out there conclusions and extrapoplations were being discussed.

The relevant section of the transcript is posted here.

Radio transcript

Not by a long shot. Poverty knows no ethnic/racial boundaries, else there would be examples of races/ethnicities in which poverty does not exist. There is no such demographic.

Poverty exists for many reasons - race is not one of them.
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Not by a long shot. Poverty knows no ethnic/racial boundaries, else there would be examples of races/ethnicities in which poverty does not exist. There is no such demographic.

Thank you for making my point.

Of all the people below the poverty level in the US, what percentage is black? What percentage is Hispanic? What percentage is white?

Now, of all the people in the US, what percentage are black? Hispanic? White?

If the percentages don't match up with these two comparisons (and they do not, in fact), then your next statement:

Poverty exists for many reasons - race is not one of them.

is not true, at least with respect to race not being a reason. (More accurately there is a very strong corellation.)

See this graph to get a better idea of the point I am ineloquently trying to make.

What point would that be? Your indefensible point that race plays a role determining if one lives in poverty or not?

As I stated earlier - poverty knows no racial or ethnic boundaries. People of all races live below the poverty line. Race is not a common factor among them. Making poor choices in life is something most people living below the poverty line in the US have in common. Having some hard luck is also common among many as well. Neither of those commonalities is a reason to support racial discrimination for employment or collegiate admissions.

Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

he wasn't criticized for that summary statement, but rather for the obvious one:
"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down," said Bennett, author of "The Book of Virtues."

Nice try at revision. Even the White House came down on him.

The funny part is nobody is really arguing the validity of the statement. There are plenty of people saying they are offended, though.

Walt

No, with regards to AA it's pretty obvious that discrimination is discrimination. The lie that povety knows ethnic boundaries is just that - a lie.

I don't think it is obvious at all. I was not aware that different races were below the poverty line in the same proportion as their total population makeup. Could you please give us that link?

Affirmative Action is obviously *not* discrimination. After all, black people cannot take care of themselves because of the big conspiracy that Whitey has against them.

Walt

Your indefensible point that race plays a role determining if one lives in poverty or not

It was soundly defended; see the graph. Race plays a role. Is it the exclusive role? No. Whites can be poor too. But that does not change the fact that certain races have much higher rates of poverty.

When viewed from a perspective that includes the century of slavery in this country, it is easy to see that there is still a ways to go before the economic and academic playing field is level.