hobbes4star

What are schools teaching our kids?

I cannot believe what I read in the news today. It seems the
Pennsylvania state Health Department is requiring school
nurses to compute students' body-mass index - or height-to-
weight ratio - during annual growth screenings, starting
this year with children in kindergarten through fourth grade.

Parents will then receive letters about the results that will
encourage them to share the information with their family
physician. The letters will explain whether the BMI is above,
below, or within the normal range for the child's age and
gender.

Is this the same liberal, faggoty-ass establishment (public
education, that is) that refuses to give students failing
grades for fear of jeopardizing their self-image? The same
jokers who require that textbooks omit words like "heroine"
because it is sexist, "old" and "biddy" because they are
ageist, and "polo" and "yacht" because they are elitist?

No, teachers can't give the grade "F" for fear of trauma-
tizing kids, but the school can make a public record of
the fact that your child is a grotesque lard ass.

How does that grading system work, I wonder?

A - Anorexic
B - Barely normal
C - Could stand to skip a meal
D - Drop the donuts, porky
F - Fatass

About 35 percent of Pennsylvania's children are overweight
or at risk of becoming overweight, according to a state
Health Department study of more than 25,000 students'
health records. So apparently, the thing to do is to shame
them into skipping a meal every once in a while.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with this. If there
is one thing today's children need, other than frequent
beatings, it is to get knocked down a few pegs. What annoys
the hell out of me is that in things that matter; grades,
a well-rounded education based in fact and a realistic ap-
praisal of expectations and achievement, the schools are
falling down miserably.

But in an area that should be taken care of at home the
schools want to stick their incompetent nose in. If you
weren't all functionally illiterate yourselves I would
recommend that you home school all of your own kids.
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

It's just another example of how a LARGE portion of modern day parents have further shucked their responsibility of being parents..in fact I'm sure it's really a SIDE EFFECT of the lazy parents & poor parents.

letting your kids get fat... >:( is a choice, how could anyone want that for their kids?????

but because it's become such a large problem the schools/government must intrude further into our lives. Doesn't sound like they are going to enforce anything though... no way to do that I imagine, but at least the ones will know that they cannot hide from this fact in their lives and perhaps for some it may even encourage change!

btw.. no problem issuing "F"s in our schools:S

I can remember eons ago, being tested in elementary school for scoliosis, hearing, eyesight, and even those lice checks. These weren't selective tests, we were rounded up like cattle and processed through each station for the respective test. That was a very long time ago, I am not too shocked in an obese society a BMI test would be added to the gamut of tests.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

I cannot believe what I read in the news today. It seems the
Pennsylvania state Health Department is requiring school
nurses to compute students' body-mass index - or height-to-
weight ratio - during annual growth screenings, starting
this year with children in kindergarten through fourth grade.

Parents will then receive letters about the results that will
encourage them to share the information with their family
physician. The letters will explain whether the BMI is above,
below, or within the normal range for the child's age and
gender.

Is this the same liberal, faggoty-ass establishment (public
education, that is) that refuses to give students failing
grades for fear of jeopardizing their self-image? The same
jokers who require that textbooks omit words like "heroine"
because it is sexist, "old" and "biddy" because they are
ageist, and "polo" and "yacht" because they are elitist?

No, teachers can't give the grade "F" for fear of trauma-
tizing kids, but the school can make a public record of
the fact that your child is a grotesque lard ass.

How does that grading system work, I wonder?

A - Anorexic
B - Barely normal
C - Could stand to skip a meal
D - Drop the donuts, porky
F - Fatass

About 35 percent of Pennsylvania's children are overweight
or at risk of becoming overweight, according to a state
Health Department study of more than 25,000 students'
health records. So apparently, the thing to do is to shame
them into skipping a meal every once in a while.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with this. If there
is one thing today's children need, other than frequent
beatings, it is to get knocked down a few pegs. What annoys
the hell out of me is that in things that matter; grades,
a well-rounded education based in fact and a realistic ap-
praisal of expectations and achievement, the schools are
falling down miserably.

But in an area that should be taken care of at home the
schools want to stick their incompetent nose in. If you
weren't all functionally illiterate yourselves I would
recommend that you home school all of your own kids.

How can these parents being doing such a good job of things if 35% of the kids are overweight.

Personally, i think as someone mentioned, this poor/lazy parenting is leading to an epidemic of obese children who will be dieing before their parents as a result of health related disease if this carries on. I for one welcome this sort of thing. However, i do not think it's the schools job to be doing this, this is the parents job. I personally don't know how effective it would be to be giving the BMI of a kid to their parents every term/year, when those same parents obviously don't care/aren't educated enough about the health of their child to let them get like that in the first place.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

How can these parents being doing such a good job of things if 35% of the kids are overweight.

There are a couple of things. First, parents in general seem to be doing a lousy job nowadays. Typically, they leave disciplinging to the teachers, then get mad at the teachers for disciplining.

Second, there are plenty of overweight kids out there. However, I am also concerned about the standards of the Body Mass Index. At my height of 6'1", a weight of 145 pounds is considered "normal." I looked emaciated when I weighed 165, much less 145. Meanwhile, if I weighed 190 pounds I'd be considered "overweight." I personally find these "standards" to be ridiculous for most people.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Personally, I don't have a problem with schools doing vision, hearing, scholiosis, and BMI screenings. Parents don't usually have access to the instruments or have the knowledge to check children for this stuff. School screenings was how I found out that I needed glasses. My parents were the most involved, attentive parents a kid could have, and they didn't realize that I couldn't read the chalkboard, and I didn't know I was supposed to be able to see, because I'd never known things to look any other way.

Tests like that are usually done by volunteers or the parents write a check to cover the cost, so it isn't paid for by the education budget or tax money.

When I was in junior high and high school, learning about physical fitness and BMI was part of the phys-ed curriculum. We had athletic stuff a few days a week, and spent one day learning about kinesiology and health, and science related to the human body.

BMI could be a great lesson for kids if the school implements it correctly and puts it in the context of learning about a healthy lifestyle, calories and energy, how the body loses fat and gains muscle, and proper ways to exercise. It's good to learn that there's a better way to measure health than with a scale, and it could be a really interesting and engaging lesson, because the test would make it personal to the kids.

A BMI screening takes about five seconds. It could easily be done while kids are waiting in line for their vision/hearing tests, so it wouldn't take any more time out of classroom time.

You're right. BMI doesn't take into account muscle/fat ratio. BMI is just one indicator out of many that, taken together, can present a summary of a person's health and health risks.

Even the CDC states that BMI is just a screening tool, and the numbers don't necessiarily mean you're actually overweight. "If your BMI is 25 or greater, and your Waist-to-Height ratio is less than 0.5 and your Percent Body Fat is in the "athlete" or "fitness" category, you are probably muscular and not fat."

If a woman, for example, has a BMI of 25-29, it's an indicator to look more closely at her body type and lifestyle. If she's very muscular, she's probably ok, but if she's got a higher proprortion of body fat, then she should take a closer look at her lifestyle.

BMI looks at percentages. Soemone with a higher BMI is, statistically, more likely to develop weight related health problems, and should check with a doctor, who can do fat percentage tests and recommend any lifestyle changes necessary.

A BIA (bio-impedance test) is probably a better indicator of overall health, since it measures the percentage of body fat, but accurate machines can be very expensive. It's probably not practical for a school to purchase one. A BMI test may get more kids to the doctor's office for a reality check about their lifestyle.

There are a couple of things. First, parents in general seem to be doing a lousy job nowadays. Typically, they leave disciplinging to the teachers, then get mad at the teachers for disciplining.

Second, there are plenty of overweight kids out there. However, I am also concerned about the standards of the Body Mass Index. At my height of 6'1", a weight of 145 pounds is considered "normal." I looked emaciated when I weighed 165, much less 145. Meanwhile, if I weighed 190 pounds I'd be considered "overweight." I personally find these "standards" to be ridiculous for most people.

That's a little misleading, counselor. Pretty much anything from 145 to 190 pounds is within the normal range for someone who's 6'1".

Besides, who said "most people" are at a healthy weight?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

BMI test may get more kids to the doctor's office for a reality check about their lifestyle.

There are problems with this statement. First, the parent needs to take the kid to the doctor. Closely associated with that is that the BMI test and "reality check" from the doctor should have already been done with responsible parenting. So the schools will tell the kids that they may be overweight andunhealthy and that they should see a doctor. Meanwhile, only the parents (who either have not been taking the kids to the doctor or already know what this test means because they HAVE done so) can take the kids to the doctor to checkup.

What we've got is a great way to pump more money into a school for the sole purpose of letting kids know something might be wrong with them. You think the parents are gonna care too much? Again, if that's what it took to get the kid to a doctor, the parents won't be taking the kid to a doctor afterwards, either.

>Again, if that's what it took to get the kid to a doctor, the parents
> won't be taking the kid to a doctor afterwards, either.

You overestimate the capabilities of all people. Sure, most parents will do that. Most parents will get vaccinations for their kids. Most parents will teach their kids how to play with other kids. But some don't, and it is those parents who are helped by programs such as these.

Remember, for every Stephen Hawking out there, there is someone as stupid as he was smart (that old intelligence bell curve.)

That's horrible =( I'm really sad to read about all of this...
Good to know that eating disorders will become even more prevalent and psychological disorders will be inflicted in every child.
I have been suffering from eating disorders for 7 years, and although mine didn't start out this way, a lot of people develop them from "trying a diet" or "skipping a meal" because someone made a comment.
This really is not going to be good, and I feel bad for all those poor children...
='(

And my two cents on this (yes I know everyone was afraid I'd skip this one ;))

A very small proportion of obese people are obese due to a medical condition. Most often it is the set of habits that are developed over many years. When better to start helping make better choices than before they become morbidly obese - hence the younger the better. I don't think this is an attack or statement on parenting abilities for everyone just an attempt to curb the next decade's epidemic. :)
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

>When better to start helping make better choices than before
>they become morbidly obese - hence the younger the better.

Agreed. It is much easier to treat a 12 year old who is 30 pounds overweight than a 30 year old who is 300 pounds overweight.

In Collier county florida the school board has adopted a program called "5 a day cafe" in the cafeterias. It encourages the kids to eat 5 helpings of fruits and vegetables everyday. Along with getting rid of the soda machines and creating a healthier menu. IMO this is a better approach than simply telling them they are overweight.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

But some don't, and it is those parents who are helped by programs such as these.

Actually, I don't see those parents being helped too much. All this thing does is apparently give a BMI test for the kids to let some kids and parents know, "this one may want to go to a doctor." But, if these parents were responsible they would have already done so. If the parents are not responsible, they won't do anything about it, anyway.

That's my contention. This will not create responsibility, which is the solution to these problems.

>Actually, I don't see those parents being helped too much.

"Ma'am, per our tests, your son has a serious weight problem."

"Oh, he's just a little chubby!"

"His weight is high enough that it's a medical problem, and can lead to early diabetes, developmental problems and cardiac problems."

"What? Oh my. I didn't think it was that bad! I thought he was just a little chubby!"

>But, if these parents were responsible they would have already done
> so. If the parents are not responsible, they won't do anything about
> it, anyway.

There are responsible parents who are simply not intelligent enough to know that their darling chubby Bobbykins is going to have a problem with all that 'baby fat.'

You overestimate the capabilities of all people. Sure, most parents will do that.Most parents will get vaccinations for their kids. Most parents will teach their kids how to play with other kids. But some don't, and it is those parents who are helped by programs such as these.

I don't think it is fair to generalize so much about parents who chose not to give vaccinations to the children they love. You may not agree with their decision but it hardly comes from parents who are lazy and lack in parenting capabilites.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

parents who chose not to give vaccinations to the children they love

Some of them are lazy, some of them have made a considered decisions after thinking about all of the facts (including their sincere hope that enough children will get the immunizations that herd immunity will still exist).

I have a feeling Bill is talking about the ones who can't be bothered except that the school makes them.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Responsible parenting leads to the following scenario:

"Mrs. Snuffy, Johnny has a serious weight problem."

"Dr. Boniface, he's just a little chubby. Kids his age go through an awkward stage."

"Mrs. Snuffy, his weigh is high enough that it's a medical problem and can lead to early diabetes, developmental problems and cardiac problems."

"What? Oh, my. I didn't think it was that bad. I thought he was just a little chubby."

"What I'd like to do with Johnny is get him started on an exercise program and refer both him and you to a dietician or nutritionist."

"Okay, doctor. But, Johnny does struggle to breathe when he exercises."

"Hmmm. I've never treated him for asthma. I'd like to run some tests to see whether there is anything else going on."
--------------------------

Responsible parents would have already had a doctor tell them that their son is dangerously overweight. Responsible parents, who thought he was just chubby, would have already had that idea taken out of their heads by a physician well before a school runs a BMI test on them.

That, bill, is my point.

Responsible parenting leads to the following scenario:

"Mrs. Snuffy, Johnny has a serious weight problem."

"Dr. Boniface, he's just a little chubby. Kids his age go through an awkward stage."

"Mrs. Snuffy, his weigh is high enough that it's a medical problem and can lead to early diabetes, developmental problems and cardiac problems."

"What? Oh, my. I didn't think it was that bad. I thought he was just a little chubby."

"What I'd like to do with Johnny is get him started on an exercise program and refer both him and you to a dietician or nutritionist."

"Okay, doctor. But, Johnny does struggle to breathe when he exercises."

"Hmmm. I've never treated him for asthma. I'd like to run some tests to see whether there is anything else going on."
--------------------------

Responsible parents would have already had a doctor tell them that their son is dangerously overweight. Responsible parents, who thought he was just chubby, would have already had that idea taken out of their heads by a physician well before a school runs a BMI test on them.

That, bill, is my point.

Responsible partents (moms) just would cook healthy, normal food including vegetables, offering fruits, would move their pans and dishes every day to create a good breakfast/lunch/dinner for their family. It needs time and efforts. Much more than just driving fat a**** to Mackes, ordering white, rubber tasting bread and fat dripping flat meat *arghhh*

I love to watch my family beeing in a good condition B| and never will have to deal with overweight....:S

There it starts. Parents just are too lazy.
:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

There are a lot of "responsible" parents who simply don't take their children to the doctor every single year for a check-up....and that's okay. There are also a lot of doctors who don't address weight issues of every child who comes into clinic.

Kids (and adults) who seem just a little chubby by today's standards are often at risk for chronic health problems. That's a given. What I think is also true is that as a society we're becoming far too complacent with being a little overweight. People who are at risk for diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension because of their weight blend right into the crowd and are considered the norm. It's hard to think of "normal" people needing intervention.

Calculating a BMI takes all of 2 minutes and costs next to nothing. Making people aware of the risks to their children's health can potentially benefit society greatly. Nowhere in my mind can I find justification for NOT screening kids this way.

I'm usually on the other side of this argument. I do think that parents often shirk too many of their parental responsibilities, hoping someone else will pick up the ball. This time, with the cost being so little and the potential benefit being so great, I'm all for school nurses adding this screening to the other screenings they've been doing for years.

Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

>Responsible parents would have already had a doctor tell them that
> their son is dangerously overweight.

Amy sees these people every day in her clinic. When she says it, they assume "oh, she has to say that, she's a doctor." Hearing it from more than one place helps.

Do not assume everyone is as competent as you are. Most people are not.