rushmc

Hey, Bush Bashers (Hurricane)

Other sides of the story change your tune?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/5/234033.shtml

Monday, Sept. 5, 2005 11:38 p.m. EDT
Mayor Nagin: Gov. Blanco Delayed Rescue

After days of blaming the federal officials for not responding quickly enough to the Hurricane Katrina crisis, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin praised President Bush on Monday - and charged that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco had delayed federal rescue efforts by 24-hours.

"I'm so happy that the president came down here," Nagin said of Bush's Friday visit to Louisiana in an interview with CNN. "He came down and saw it, and he put a general on the field. His name is General Honore. And when he hit the field, we started to see action."

But Nagin had harsh words for his state's leaders, telling CNN: "What the state was doing, I don't frigging know. But I tell you, I am pissed. It wasn't adequate."
The New Orleans Democrat said he urged Bush to meet privately with Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco during the visit. The meeting took place aboard Air Force One, he said.

After reviewing the crisis with Gov. Blanco, Bush summoned Nagin for a private chat - where, according to Nagin, Bush explained: "Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor. I said . . . I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision."

Reacting to the governor's footdragging, Nagin lamented: "It would have been great if we could of left Air Force One, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out."

"It didn't happen, and more people died."
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

They won't listen - they're too busy race baiting and screaming that the Iraq war took all of the levee $$. Fidiots - apparently gov't appropriations is far too complex for them to grasp. Then again, what does one expect from such folks?
:S
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

First, it's hard to take seriously a news site that advertises flower petals blessed by Jesus & Mary...

I love these threads where you guys all suck each other off on some point from a skewed source and write like it closes any opposing argument to a topic.

The way this disaster played out is a result of poor leadership across the board -- democrats and republicans included. Bush saying "I told her so" doesn't make him the winner in my book.

Bush waiting and giving her 24 hours to respond washes his hands of any blame at all? A "strong leader" just wouldn't depend on a governor's decision in a desparate time like that. A strong leader would be decisive and take action, damn the governor's decision or indecision. *He waited too.*

Assuming that what Bush said to the mayor is true (a lot of us don't take what comes out of his mouth as gospel) the governor is at a HUGE fault, no disagreement there. And my impression is, from what I read in his quotes since last week, that this mayor is no Giuliani.

We all need to raise our standards in what we expect from our leadership. This is a national problem, not a state problem. Good leadership starts from the top. I don't think we have that because our standards are weak. I don't blame Bush for this completely nor do I think a disaster could have been completely avoided. But I have no doubt that with stronger and more coherent leadership from the top we could have done better.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Other sides of the story change your tune?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/5/234033.shtml

Monday, Sept. 5, 2005 11:38 p.m. EDT
Mayor Nagin: Gov. Blanco Delayed Rescue

After days of blaming the federal officials for not responding quickly enough to the Hurricane Katrina crisis, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin praised President Bush on Monday - and charged that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco had delayed federal rescue efforts by 24-hours.

"I'm so happy that the president came down here," Nagin said of Bush's Friday visit to Louisiana in an interview with CNN. "He came down and saw it, and he put a general on the field. His name is General Honore. And when he hit the field, we started to see action."

But Nagin had harsh words for his state's leaders, telling CNN: "What the state was doing, I don't frigging know. But I tell you, I am pissed. It wasn't adequate."
The New Orleans Democrat said he urged Bush to meet privately with Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco during the visit. The meeting took place aboard Air Force One, he said.

After reviewing the crisis with Gov. Blanco, Bush summoned Nagin for a private chat - where, according to Nagin, Bush explained: "Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor. I said . . . I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision."

Reacting to the governor's footdragging, Nagin lamented: "It would have been great if we could of left Air Force One, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out."

"It didn't happen, and more people died."

Hi Rush

Very "interesting" news source.

The ads on the clicky you posted are some funny shit:D

R.I.P.

They won't listen - they're too busy race baiting and screaming that the Iraq war took all of the levee $$. Fidiots - apparently gov't appropriations is far too complex for them to grasp. Then again, what does one expect from such folks?

The levee money is a local thing, not due to the war. The State of LA should have taken care of it. However, they saw the initial upfront costs and always tabled the needed changes. To me it seems like simple math - spend $2 billion up front to avoid a $10-20 billion disaster. But, I'm not a politician and logic doesn't work in gov't offices. Thankfully California did not wait for Clinton or Bush to pay for retro-fitting buildings/bridges for new earthquake standards.

I can't wait to see who the scape goat is for lack of organizing relief efforts before the storm hit the coast - it's not like this was a surprise. If we can't even mobilize with a 48 hour warning, how can we handle another terrorist attack, massive earthquake, or eruption?

Look at that vinny - not one antibush statement there! I'm surprised there hasn't been a Kayne West thread yet.

>(a lot of us don't take what comes out of his mouth as gospel)

Well, that maybe because your in the minority. Many of us Americans don't look at what happened in N.O. as the fault of the President or that he waited to long. You might like to look at recent polls other than CNN.

The Gov's of every state have the authority to activate the National Guard, but the Federal Gov. was waiting for the Gov. of LA. to declare an emergency and request the Federal Governments assistance. The primary responsiblity falls on three primary groups. 1. Those who had the ability to leave but chose to stay. 2. The Mayor of N.O. for failing to follow the Evacution plans layed out by city and state officials. 3. The Gov. of LA. failure to mobilize the National Guard and declare a state of emergency until it was to late, and a request for federal assistance.

All Monday morning Quarter Backs did little, but mostly nothing to help.

>(a lot of us don't take what comes out of his mouth as gospel)

Well, that maybe because your in the minority. Many of us Americans don't look at what happened in N.O. as the fault of the President or that he waited to long. You might like to look at recent polls other than CNN.

I only want to respond to this portion. According to gallup, President bush's approval rating for August 22 -25 is 40%. For the 25-28, it is 45%. Yes, it is up, but that still makes those who approve (and take his word as gospel as you implied) the minority.

And even if it gets to 51%, that is not a majority to be proud of.

Here is more from Fox (to combat anyone who wants to say that Gallup is biased or something):

FOX News/Opinion Dynamics Poll. Aug. 30-31, 2005. N=900 registered voters nationwide. MoE ± 3. LV = likely voters

"Do you approve or disapprove of the job George W. Bush is doing as president?"

Approve Disapprove Unsure
8/30-31/05 45 50 5
7/26-27/05 47 44 9
7/12-13/05 47 47 6

And lastly, here is another site:

http://americanresearchgroup.com/economy/

Sorry, but most polls, by a variety of sources, agree that his approval is on the lower end of the spectrum. Now, if you are someone who happens to be friends with a lot of Bush supporters, then your own pollmay be skewed a tad. ;)

Now, as for this NO thing, I believe the smart person realizes that is a breakdown of ALL government, not just Bush.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

"...he put a general on the field. His name is General Honore. And when he hit the field, we started to see action..."

On a side note... Its kinda poetic, the choice of general, and why Nagin likes him... Honore is a cajun through and through... I served with him when he was a lowly COL back in 3ID... He used to have field cooking competitions between units under his command, and he was one of the cooks, as well as the judge... He's a no nonsense kind of guy, although he does like to hear himself talk sometimes... I'm surprised they have not had to bleep him out on a news conference yet, he used to cuss like a sailor... One word of advice to anyone working for or around him, don't complain about being tired or hungry, he'll slap you in the face with a "whinner card".

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

The primary responsiblity falls on three primary groups. 1. Those who had the ability to leave but chose to stay.

So tell us please, what % of the 1.3M residents of the NO metro are fall into the category of "chose to stay"?

The folks on the right keep harping on this, but have yet to demonstrate that inthe greater scheme of things that it was an actual problem.

2. The Mayor of N.O. for failing to follow the Evacution plans layed out by city and state officials.

To what extent did the mayor fail to follow the plan, and to what extent was it impossible to follow the plan given the circumstances?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

First, it's hard to take seriously a news site that advertises flower petals blessed by Jesus & Mary...

I love these threads where you guys all suck each other off on some point from a skewed source and write like it closes any opposing argument to a topic.

The way this disaster played out is a result of poor leadership across the board -- democrats and republicans included. Bush saying "I told her so" doesn't make him the winner in my book.

Bush waiting and giving her 24 hours to respond washes his hands of any blame at all? A "strong leader" just wouldn't depend on a governor's decision in a desparate time like that. A strong leader would be decisive and take action, damn the governor's decision or indecision. *He waited too.*

Assuming that what Bush said to the mayor is true (a lot of us don't take what comes out of his mouth as gospel) the governor is at a HUGE fault, no disagreement there. And my impression is, from what I read in his quotes since last week, that this mayor is no Giuliani.

We all need to raise our standards in what we expect from our leadership. This is a national problem, not a state problem. Good leadership starts from the top. I don't think we have that because our standards are weak. I don't blame Bush for this completely nor do I think a disaster could have been completely avoided. But I have no doubt that with stronger and more coherent leadership from the top we could have done better.

LOL you are funny....as for the 24 hours? better look at the facts that are coming out.

dam you made me laugh:S
Abraham Lincoln

The levee money is a local thing, not due to the war. The State of LA should have taken care of it. However, they saw the initial upfront costs and always tabled the needed changes. To me it seems like simple math - spend $2 billion up front to avoid a $10-20 billion disaster. But, I'm not a politician and logic doesn't work in gov't offices. Thankfully California did not wait for Clinton or Bush to pay for retro-fitting buildings/bridges for new earthquake standards.

I can't wait to see who the scape goat is for lack of organizing relief efforts before the storm hit the coast - it's not like this was a surprise. If we can't even mobilize with a 48 hour warning, how can we handle another terrorist attack, massive earthquake, or eruption?

Look at that vinny - not one antibush statement there! I'm surprised there hasn't been a Kayne West thread yet.

The levee thing was said to be bad by the Post and the Times when the bill came up. Bush approved 2. somehting million for the project and was condemed for approving that much. Now those same papers condem him for not approving the whole 19M:S

....go figure.......
Abraham Lincoln

>To what extent did the mayor fail to follow the plan, and to what extent was it impossible to follow the plan given the circumstances?

A vision of hundreds of School Buses and city buses not being used comes to mind.

Close the airport to all incoming commercial flights and begin airlifts of the elderly, sick and poor, those willing to leave their homes.

1.3 million residents, the majority got out but about 300,000+ did not. Therefore the buses, trains, and aircraft, military/commercail could have moved about half that number in a 24 hour period.

But as I always say, "To error is human, to blame someone else is more human".

When the city failed to get people evacuated the plan went to **&%#@ when the city flooded.

Do not with hold good, from those in need when its in your power to do so. A 24 hour delay made all the difference. But hey I'm just a little fella who solves the worlds problems on DZ.com like everyone else here.

But as I always say, "To error is human, to blame someone else is more human".

Your point about the state of emergency is well-taken.

And you're also very human -- you still blame all but Bush.

Again, it's a failure of leadership on all levels. Whatever the procedures, this is a problem of national scale that Bush cannot completely wash his hands of.

Are you proud of how Bush handled this? Think he did a superb job?

Along your lines of thought, Bush might as well have continued his vacation and waited longer for LA's incompetent governor to cry for federal help.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Glad you got a laugh, though that wasn't my intention. Anyway, better a completely vacuous response like yours rather than no response at all.

Just sending back what you sent:S
Abraham Lincoln

How about takes "one to know one".

I should have expected insults. That is what the left uses when they run out of facts:S
Abraham Lincoln

How about takes "one to know one".

I should have expected insults. That is what the left uses when they run out of facts:S

Because, ultimately, in the history of politics, they are the ONLY ones to ever do it. please. All this left right bullshit has really got to stop.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.