IanHarrop

Should the US accept aid from old foes?

So what do you think - should the US accept aid from old foes?
=============================================

Old foes offer aid to US

The United States has received offers of aid and messages of sympathy from a number of countries often at odds with Washington.

Iran, Cuba and Venezuela have offered to send humanitarian aid to victims of Hurricane Katrina.

"If Iran's help is needed and requested we'd respond to the call, however we should make sure first that there is such a request," said Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi.

Cuban President Fidel Castro announced in a live television broadcast on Friday that he had just issued a second offer to the United States to send Cuban doctors to help care for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The "(US) authorities are going through a difficult time, we are not asking for anything," said Castro, whose country has not had diplomatic relations with the United States in more than four decades.

Also on Friday, Venezuela made formal an offer to send planeloads of aid, including several hundred of soldiers and rescue volunteers, to the United States. In a message sent to the US Embassy, the Venezuelan Government said it was willing to send fuel, water purification plants and more than 50 tons of canned food and water to the United States.

The Red Cross of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea has expressed sympathy to its US counterpart over the damage caused by the hurricane, saying it hoped "the living of the inhabitants in the afflicted areas return to normal as early as possible," its official KCNA agency reported.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I voted "NO" if theses countries didn't have ulterior motives it's highly unlikely they would be offering any help at all. I wouldn't trust Castro or Chavez as far as i could throw them. Their intentiuons are not sincere, like they give a shit about the USA. Where were they 09/11?
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

To add to the conversation - this sounds like the US would accept...

"With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has decided “no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused,” State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9161198/
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

>should the US accept aid from old foes?

One way to change old foes to new allies is to help them when they need help - and accept help when they offer it. That is, of course, if one has any interest in turning old foes into new allies. It does make global politics a lot less interesting, and there would be fewer chances for desperate glory.

if people were to die because of lack of doctors or supplies then whose fault would those deaths be?

it is moments like these that gets the best out of people and a good chance to make amends.

he who refuses help when help is needed, is a fool!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Aid to the US has been offered from around the world...this is a good thing. Fuck politics.

Edited to add: If Bush were to refuse foreign aid on the basis that it would make us appear to be weak...I'll be more than happy to sign a recall petition!

FallRate

if people were to die because of lack of doctors or supplies then whose fault would those deaths be?

it is moments like these that gets the best out of people and a good chance to make amends.

he who refuses help when help is needed, is a fool!

I agree... Interesting that thus far NO is getting more votes than YES

I voted "NO" if theses countries didn't have ulterior motives it's highly unlikely they would be offering any help at all. I wouldn't trust Castro or Chavez as far as i could throw them. Their intentiuons are not sincere, like they give a shit about the USA. Where were they 09/11?

Hi Rwieder

Your the guy with the White corvette and are the Drilling Operations Manager Kerr McGee Onshore?

You previous post about why people didn't leave NO "so they could continue to do all kinds of bad stuff "looting, stealing and murdering" and now this post about not accepting foreign aid because you afraid of their ulterior motives[:/]

I don't see your employer Kerr McGee stepping up to the plate and holding the line on fuel prices or getting together with the rest of the oil industry to increase refinery capacity over the last 5-10-20 yr's because it wouldn't help their bottom line.

like they give a shit about the USA.

Dude quit while your ahead this is SC but we don't all agree with your agenda.

Bue skies;)
R.I.P.

Yeah why not, individual people cause wars NOT countries... so what if there are dick-heads in all countries, if people are hurting there are always other people that feel that hurt and are prepared to help out, regardless of the leadership.
Good on 'em.
I hope that the US will be gracious enough to accept help for anyonne prepared to offer it. Dont look below the covers, there isn't always a boogie man there!!

Blues,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

"Every contribution is important; and over the past few days, I have been in contact with a wide range of officials from other nations and international organizations to respond to these offers of support."

Secretary of State Rice, 9/2/05

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

don't see your employer Kerr McGee stepping up to the plate and holding the line on fuel prices or getting together with the rest of the oil industry to increase refinery capacity over the last 5-10-20 yr's because it wouldn't help their bottom line.

You know this for a fact? How do you know what, or if Kerr McGee is doing anything? If you don't know for a fact that their not doing anything, be quite.

Like they give a shit about the USA.

Again, you don't know what your talking about.

Ok...DUDE. whether you agree with my agenda or not makes me no nevermind. I may not believe in what you have to say either, but i'd defend to the death your right to say it. Your an agressive little fellow, eh?

I just checked your profile, while you got all of my information, you haven't provided any of yours. All you basically did was say your a one jump wonder from africa. Yeah, i can see how you would most certainly be an expert on the affairs of world wide oil companies. Sheesh.
-Richard-

See I cannt fault the sentiment .... but I have a problem when people in authority cash in (like a photo op') - I'm probably not being fair to Condy but when I saw her filling boxes on the news this evening... it just felt wrong (My problem, I'm sure) but powerful people get their faces splashed over newspapers whilst real people just get on the the job.

Off topic... we need politicians a LOT less than they need us

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

don't see your employer Kerr McGee stepping up to the plate and holding the line on fuel prices or getting together with the rest of the oil industry to increase refinery capacity over the last 5-10-20 yr's because it wouldn't help their bottom line.

You know this for a fact? How do you know what, or if Kerr McGee is doing anything? If you don't know for a fact that their not doing anything, be quite.

Like they give a shit about the USA.

Again, you don't know what your talking about.

Ok...DUDE. whether you agree with my agenda or not makes me no nevermind. I may not believe in what you have to say either, but i'd defend to the death your right to say it. Your an agressive little fellow, eh?

I just checked your profile, while you got all of my information, you haven't provided any of yours. All you basically did was say your a one jump wonder from africa. Yeah, i can see how you would most certainly be an expert on the affairs of world wide oil companies. Sheesh.

Hi

Very interesting:)
So tell us what you employer Kerr Mcgee has done in the past 10 yr's and how there stock and profits have been doing over the last 10 yr's.:|

Remember the rules about personnel attacks, talk with you buddy nate take a breath and respond to all the questions we have asked you in this thread and others.

R.I.P.

When, and if you identify yourself, i may tell you what i know. Until then, you are a troll. I don't play your kinds of games, you've got the wrong guy my man.

I will say that each Major oil company gives back to the environment, community as well as contributing to the economy. Majors are responsable for 45% of all employment in the USA, not to mention their overseas contributions. (Do some research)

You may now get off of your soap box. For the record, i made no personal attack on you, or anyone else. If anything you are the antagonists here, not me.
-Richard-

I don't see your employer Kerr McGee stepping up to the plate and holding the line on fuel prices or getting together with the rest of the oil industry to increase refinery capacity over the last 5-10-20 yr's because it wouldn't help their bottom line.

Actually, there have been attempts over the last thirty years to build more refineries in this country, but they were thwarted by the tree huggers. Kerr McGee doesn't hold control over the oil-futures market.

From what I read, several rigs and all but one refinery should be up above 80% today or tomorrow.

Even then, that won't affect the cost of oil/barrel, though it should ease the cost of gas/gallon in the southeast where in BFE, KY it's costing more than most of California.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I voted no... but I look at how the world is by comparing it to how I would handle things if it happened in my own household.

I would not accept help from anyone who did extensive damage to myself , or my family. I would rather tough it out and find other resources.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Hi rwieder

FWIW this is a skydiving websight with different forums.

What you put down in your profile is your bussiness. I could care less what you do for a living, how much you make, or who you work for. Skydiving is the name of the game and thats what counts.

We learned a long time ago to sanitize our profile because IMO it serves no useful purpose. Your skills in the air are what counts.

Interesting point of view.

R.I.P.
B-7881
SCR 2719

BTW feel free to PM me.

From what I read, several rigs and all but one refinery should be up above 80% today or tomorrow.

You are correct. GWB gave consent to tap into the SOR, i hope he remembers to replenish the supply. A lot of people are under the incorrect assumption that when the price of oil and natural gas goes up, so do the major's profit margin. Well, it does to a certain extent. All oil companies sell their product to Marketing Companies, they in turn transport it to the refineries. The majors (and minors) are "Locked In" on the price of oil per bbl and natural gas per mmcf. In other words, just because the price of the commodities go up does not mean the profit margin increases for the majors. Believe it or not, this is how it works. I can only hope that this clarifies this subject matter. It's the marketers and refineries who are making the "Big Bucks" I am also of the opinion that the SEC should monitor more closely the activities of gas stations, they raise prices when ever they want, to my knowledge they are not regulated, officially that is.
-Richard-

What you put down in your profile is your bussiness. I could care less what you do for a living, how much you make, or who you work for. Skydiving is the name of the game and thats what counts.

Then why the remarks about the company i work for, and my corvette? Odd.

We learned a long time ago to sanitize our profile because IMO it serves no useful purpose. Your skills in the air are what counts.

"We" you've got a mouse in your pocket? I've seen heated debate on this web site because of posters not completing their profiles.

Interesting point of view.

I'm glad you're amused.

BTW feel free to PM me.

Don't hold your breath. I've really got better things to do with my time than to litigate with you.
-Richard-