I wish the price of gas in the US would DOUBLE overnight

Anyone not living in the US know what i mean? You guys have had it too good for too long.

At least now we understand why (jealousy) the rest of the world keeps talking shit about the U.S.

And you know what's funny? They bitch about U.S. energy consumption -- as if the U.S. is full of native-born Americans ONLY -- no immigrants, no illegals, no tourists... THEY contribute to what we use, and how much we pollute, too, ya know.

In the last 10 years, the population of the U.S. has grown by HOW many million people who came from other countries? And people bitch about how much of the world's resources we use. Is there any other country that has as many people pouring into it each year from other countries? To live permanently?

Cut us some fuckin' SLACK, already.

If it weren't for the U.S., I know a fuck of a lot of British skydivers who wouldn't have a cheap place to come and fuckin' jump. Open your fuckin' eyes and quit your pathetic bitching.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Actually you are right, i often get all sorts of wonderful help from the myriad of US servicemen and women stationed here :S. If they pulled out all of the troops tomorrow, i guarantee you would not see most Brits blink twice.

Yeah, the help you got from U.S. servicemen and women doesn't matter nearly as much NOW as when HITLER WAS DROPPING BOMBS ON YOUR FUCKING CAPITAL CITY.

Easy to take us for granted now, I guess -- wasn't so easy then. >:(
And this is your fuckin' gratitude. Nice.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Personally, I blame traffic lights - the biggest source of engineered traffic congestion and fuel waste.

:D:D Agreed..

Try living in West Palm fuckin' Beach, where at 3 a.m. you can sit at a red light while every other fucking direction of traffic -- with not a SINGLE CAR -- gets its green arrow and straight green light, leaving you sitting idling for about 4 minutes. No fuckin' joke.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

How many months salary does it take to send your child to college for a bachelor's degree in the US compared to Poland?

All colleges and universities here (even the ones having "Harvard" standard) are FREE :)

Yeah, as opposed to taking the money to pay for it out of your pay in TAXES, your government just conjures the money out of the ETHER. :S

"Free." What a concept. I guess that whatever the government gives you with money that it withheld from your own paycheck is "free."

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

You're the big dude who gets all the hot women. We're the math nerds and farmers. And we should cut you some slack?

I hope your 'vette gets keyed, dude.

Incidentally, do you know how to calculate the braking distance of that thing if it's going 100 on a cow pasture? :P

Anyone not living in the US know what i mean? You guys have had it too good for too long.

At least now we understand why (jealousy) the rest of the world keeps talking shit about the U.S.

And you know what's funny? They bitch about U.S. energy consumption -- as if the U.S. is full of native-born Americans ONLY -- no immigrants, no illegals, no tourists... THEY contribute to what we use, and how much we pollute, too, ya know.

In the last 10 years, the population of the U.S. has grown by HOW many million people who came from other countries? And people bitch about how much of the world's resources we use. Is there any other country that has as many people pouring into it each year from other countries? To live permanently?

Cut us some fuckin' SLACK, already.

If it weren't for the U.S., I know a fuck of a lot of British skydivers who wouldn't have a cheap place to come and fuckin' jump. Open your fuckin' eyes and quit your pathetic bitching.

-Jeffrey

I doubt many of the illegal immigrants are driving around in vehicles that get less than 10 mpg. I think they are more concerned with living and surviving than what options they should be getting on their Escalade or Hummer.

This is an old post and if you read the whole thing, you will see much of it has already been discussed, and my points - while vociferous at the outset - were not really heartfelt. Of course, i do not want gas to double overnight because the knock on economic effect for the average American would be awful but you will get the jist of things by reading through the whole post.

There is also a distinct difference between jealousy and a sense of responsibility, forced or otherwise. My post topic referred to the fact that Americans were at the time, being forced into a sense of global responsibility through perhaps either lowering gas consumption, or selling a gas guzzler to get a more efficient car. Either that, or, to keep the car that they had, but just pay the price for consuming a large amount of a damaging and ultimately limited resource where consumption has a knock on effect globally.

When you pay a low price for something you will never truly attribute a sense of value, fiscal or otherwise, to that something, until the price of it rises.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Actually you are right, i often get all sorts of wonderful help from the myriad of US servicemen and women stationed here :S. If they pulled out all of the troops tomorrow, i guarantee you would not see most Brits blink twice.

Yeah, the help you got from U.S. servicemen and women doesn't matter nearly as much NOW as when HITLER WAS DROPPING BOMBS ON YOUR FUCKING CAPITAL CITY.

Easy to take us for granted now, I guess -- wasn't so easy then. >:(
And this is your fuckin' gratitude. Nice.

-Jeffrey

Of course i'm thankful for all US involvement and assistance with abating the spread of Hitler and the Nazis, that's a moot point. I am thankful (if that;s the right word) that Pearl Harbour happened only in so much as it got the US to join the Allied forces and fight. I daresay if it hadn't happened, we may well have become a united Germany, under Hitler, because traditionally, the US voting public at the time were very much against putting resource into a then European war. It's unfortunate, but you could say history repeats itself with the events post September 11th.

This raises an interesting point for another post though, thanks.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

When you pay a low price for something you will never truly attribute a sense of value, fiscal or otherwise, to that something, until the price of it rises.

nonsense - the price is what the market sets, wherever you may be. When it's $1/gal we attribute a value of of $/gal, when it's $4/gal we attribute a value of $4/gal. You mean that the US have no sense of value to the high prices elsewhere. And what would be the point? We artificially raise the price to show sympathy? who does that help? It's like not eating to sympathize with someone starving on another continent - it's help no one to gratuitously flog yourself for something you are not responsible for.

I wish the price of gas outside the US would halve overnight. I'd rather wish good fortune on others rather than wish bad fortune others.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I wish the price of gas outside the US would halve overnight. I'd rather wish good fortune on others rather than wish bad fortune others.

The only reason I don't is because gas/oil/petroleum-based energy consumibles are a product that
a. generally produce more pollution than they remove from the atmosphere
b. will eventually begin to dry up, with huge economic and social consequences.

Rather than consuming them ever-faster until we begin to hit a wall, I'd prefer to see even an artificial lessening of their availability so that we haven't so thoroughly fucked ourselves when it does start to get more expensive.

Cities like Houston (where I live) are very petroleum-dependent, and don't necessarily have to be. We could have more solar power, and certainly better mass transit. But, well, since gas is cheap, we keep voting down new efforts because they're not perfect.

Only when gasoline is expensive will less-than-perfect alternatives (which will turn out to be OK) be explored better. There are no perfect alternatives.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

nonsense - the price is what the market sets, wherever you may be. When it's $1/gal we attribute a value of of $/gal, when it's $4/gal we attribute a value of $4/gal. You mean that the US have no sense of value to the high prices elsewhere. And what would be the point? We artificially raise the price to show sympathy? who does that help? It's like not eating to sympathize with someone starving on another continent - it's help no one to gratuitously flog yourself for something you are not responsible for.

But the good fortune on others in the short term is bad news for all of us in the long term. The more fossil fuel we burn, the worse off this planet is, that's a well known fact.
While i think we need something of a happy medium, i personally believe we need to err more on the side of restraint when it comes to fuel consumption if we can. If we choose not to do that, well we simply pay more for something that affects a greater whole than just ourselves.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

There's always Russia, Spain is cheap too, so please excuse me if I don't give your country a fucking rim job for being the only place in the world to do some cheap skydiving. :S

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

>I wish the price of gas outside the US would halve overnight. I'd
> rather wish good fortune on others rather than wish bad fortune
> others.

That's essentially wishing good luck on them and bad luck on their children. Cheap oil is going to run out; how painful that will be is dependent upon how gradually that happens. And with an exponentially rising demand, that eventual shortage will hit their children very, very hard.

It's often been said that the US government cannot plan more than four years in advance, and no company can plan more than ten years in advance. I keep hoping that changes.

I'd prefer to see even an artificial lessening of their availability

Yours and Newbie and Billvon, all the same answer. My issue is with "artificially" lessening the market. Old discussion, no need to rehash both sides. I trust the market, others trust government interference in this area.

But I don't think the original intent was environmental/resource based, it was a 'those guys suck, I wish bad things on them' feel.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Heh, was using Ye Olde Metaphors. ;).

Americans are the jocks of the world. The Europeans are the math nerds.

When you say "get of our backs", we hide the smiles caused by the irony of the situation behind our calculators so we won't be beaten up B|

But I don't think the original intent was environmental/resource based, it was a 'those guys suck, I wish bad things on them' feel.

Rehwma, i usually agree with very much of what you say, and like your comments as they are well thought through, put across clearly and are not governed by emotion, but if you reread the 2nd sentence of my very first post it does quite clearly say:

"It would also destroy less of the environment which we ALL rely on to sustain life, not place so much reliance on the role and power that major oil producing countries have in our lives, and benefit the general health of the populace by forcing them to walk or take some other mode of transportation"

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Yours and Newbie and Billvon, all the same answer

Yeah, but mine was first :ph34r:

That makes me cooler.

Especially because I like cookies...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I doubt many of the illegal immigrants are driving around in vehicles that get less than 10 mpg. I think they are more concerned with living and surviving than what options they should be getting on their Escalade or Hummer.

Of course most (all?) of the poorer population in the United States isn't driving an Escalade or a Hummer. What do you think they're driving? The Honda Civic? Toyota Corolla? Maybe even a Prius? Nope, they're driving old beat up cars that get what? Maybe 10 miles to the gallon.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

>Nope, they're driving old beat up cars that get what? Maybe 10 miles to the gallon.

Well, I'd say closer to 25, but I see your point. The good news is that in 15 years they will be driving old beat up Honda Civics and Priuses. Which is why it's important to start now on fuel efficiency if you want to have a significant impact over the next 10-20 years. We can't run out of cheap oil, then say "OK, everyone in the US switch over . . . now!"

That's not real accurate. My "old beat up car" was an '88 Hyundai Excel that got about 32 mpg on the highway and 27 in the city.

Now I'm driving a FAR better car -- a Subaru Impreza Outback Sport -- and it gets about 29-31 on the highway.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Rehwma, i usually agree ...reread the 2nd sentence of my very first post it does quite clearly say:

"It would also destroy less of the environment ...."

shucks man, you say nice stuff.

As to your specific post, that's the problem with making generalizations, people are individuals and when (I) put out a generalize comment about 'some' or 'most' people, specific individuals will feel slighted. my bad,

However, since I did directly refer to the original post, I'll also quote from it:
"Anyone not living in the US know what i mean? You guys have had it too good for too long." I'm not completely in the wrong, but I'll share it with you.

Rehwma, i usually agree ...reread the 2nd sentence of my very first post it does quite clearly say:

"It would also destroy less of the environment ...."

shucks man, you say nice stuff.

As to your specific post, that's the problem with making generalizations, people are individuals and when (I) put out a generalize comment about 'some' or 'most' people, specific individuals will feel slighted. my bad,

However, since I did directly refer to the original post, I'll also quote from it:
"Anyone not living in the US know what i mean? You guys have had it too good for too long." I'm not completely in the wrong, but I'll share it with you.

Fair and valid point and slight wrongness accepted :P

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts