SpeedRacer

Tobacco spitter, Jane Fonda, and FOX news.

OK, by now we've all heard the story of the Vietnam vet who spit tobacco on Jane Fonda at her book signing.

I was watching FOX news today, and they were interviewing Col. David Hunt. He said that although he thinks it was wrong for the guy to spit on Fonda, that nevertheless he understands the outrage. Then he goes on to describe how he will never forgive Fonda, & proceeds to tell the story about Jane Fonda passing notes from American POWs to their prison guards. A story, by the way, which has been proven false.

But he tells that same story TWICE during the interview. And yet the FOX news interviewers NEVER challenge him on it.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

yeah, be careful speed, fox is almost as bad as every other business that calls themselves "impartial news gatherers". wait, that's all of them.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I was watching FOX news today, and they were interviewing Col. David Hunt. He said that although he thinks it was wrong for the guy to spit on Fonda, that nevertheless he understands the outrage. Then he goes on to describe how he will never forgive Fonda, & proceeds to tell the story about Jane Fonda passing notes from American POWs to their prison guards. A story, by the way, which has been proven false.

Doesn't change the fact that she is a treasonous bitch and undeniable caused harm to a number of Americans held in Hanoi and proceeded to declare that any soldiers claiming they were tortured were both liars and hypocrites, so really I don't much care if some of the details this Col. cited were false, it doesn't change the fact that what Jane Fonda did was unforgivable. The fact that she had the audacity to first apologize for what she did for her own self-interest in 1988 during one of her film projects is even more unthinkable. Took her another 12 years to realize that what she did was truly wrong, but forgiveness had long passed.

I can tell you that were I at that book signing, I would have spat on her right after said vet; I can tell you I was honored to piss on her image every time I took a piss when I was in the military.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

yeah, be careful speed, fox is almost as bad as every other business that calls themselves "impartial news gatherers". wait, that's all of them.

Fox co-mingles editorializing with reporting more than any other major media outlet, by deliberate policy:

mediamatters.org/items/200407140002

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Fox co-mingles editorializing with reporting more than any other major media outlet, by deliberate policy:

Yup, it's on the internet so it must be true.

About as reliable as FOX or Rather.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is the story as I read it on AOL news:
===================
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (April 20) - A man spit tobacco juice into the face of actress Jane Fonda after waiting in line to have her sign her new book, police said.

The man ran off but was quickly caught by police Tuesday night and charged with disorderly conduct.

Fonda has been on tour and doing interviews to promote her just-published memoir, "My Life So Far." The thrice-married, two-time Academy Award winner covers a wide array of topics, including her 1972 visit to Hanoi to protest the Vietnam War, during which she was photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun. She has apologized for that photo, but not for opposing the war.

Capt. Rich Lockhart of the Kansas City Police Department said that although Fonda did not want to press charges against Michael A. Smith, 54, of Kansas City, he was arrested on a municipal charge of disorderly conduct after off-duty officers caught him just outside Unity Temple, where Fonda was signing books.

Lockhart said Smith was released on bond late Tuesday night and is due to appear in municipal court on May 27.

Smith, a Vietnam veteran, told The Kansas City Star on Wednesday that Fonda was a "traitor" and that her protests against the war were unforgivable. He said he normally does not chew tobacco but did so Tuesday solely to spit juice on the actress.

"I consider it a debt of honor," he told The Star for a story on its Web site, www.kansascity.com. "She spit in our faces for 37 years. It was absolutely worth it. There are a lot of veterans who would love to do what I did."

Fonda drew a crowd of about 900 for her appearance, said Vivian Jennings, whose Rainy Day Books of suburban Fairway, Kan., sponsored the event at Unity Temple in Kansas City. Fonda, 67, spoke for about 15 minutes, answered questions for another 15, then began signing copies of her book.

Jennings said Fonda received a standing ovation when she came out and when she finished speaking. Alan Tilson, one of those who had his book signed but left before the incident, said the crowd was very "warm and supportive" to Fonda and he was surprised to learn what had happened.

Jennings said the actress never got up from her seat and continued autographing books after the tobacco juice was wiped off.

"The important thing is that she was so calm and so gracious about it," Jennings said of Fonda. "She was wonderful."

Jennings said that the man had a book to which the name "Jody" had been affixed as he approached to have it autographed. She said that when Fonda got the book, she looked up and said, "You're not Jody."

"At that moment, he turned his head quickly and spit a trail of tobacco juice," Jennings said. "He immediately jumped off the stage and started running down the aisle."

Fonda, who flew to Minneapolis Wednesday for another appearance on the book tour she began April 5, issued a statement through Jynne Martin of Random House, which published her book.

"In spite of the incident, my experience in Kansas City was wonderful and I thank all the warm and supportive people, including so many veterans, who came to welcome me last night," Fonda said.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

About as reliable as FOX or Rather.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0895261901/ref=sib_rdr_fc/102-8687289-2592159?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S001#reader-page

hmm. when a repentent sinner apologizes, a Christian is obliged to forgive.

A lot of people will say that when someone does something that is very very wrong (such as Jane Fonda's sympathising with the North VC) that it is now "unforgivable". Some people would falsely believe that to cling to such an idea is a symbol of strength in one's principles.

Christian philosophy is that nothing is "unforgiveable" to the penitent sinner.

Why? Because we are all in the same boat.

It pissed me off as a Catholic Christian when Sinead O'Connor tore up a picture of the Pope on Saturday Night Live.

But years later, she apologized for it, and expressed regret. Now I am obliged to reach out and accept her apology & no longer harbor hard feelings for what she did.

That is what forgiveness is. God's love is greater than we can imagine or deserve. To be close to God means we must forgive. As we expect to be forgiven for our own sins, which may be greater than we care to admit, even to ourselves.
Speed Racer

Hmmm... I wonder why she apologized. I'm pretty sure that when someone asks for forgiveness, it needs to be sincere in pretty much any religion. Now, Jane could have been sincere in her apology... or, she could have been drumming up publicity for, TADAAA... selling her book! Not that such a wholesome lady would do such a thing....:S
Oh, hello again!

Jesus freakin' Christ I did things 25 years ago that I would not do now. I think differently about some topics than I did five years ago. On this very forum I dropped my "no concealed permit" stance. Am I still scum for all of the positions I held in the past? BTW there is no conflict in apologizing for abetting the North Vietnamese and not recanting her position that the war was wrong. It was wrong.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

the war was wrong. It was wrong.

Some have made the argument that while Vietnam was a vastly unpopular war, it did serve a purpose in that it demonstrated that the US was not going to allow communisim free reign across he globe.
Not my words, but I'm sure I'm going to be cooked for them any way.

The above notion reminds me of some thing I learned as a kid in elementary school. If a kid at school starts picking on you, you have to get in his face right away even if it means getting your ass kicked. Why? Because the kid will always remember that you would not lay down and he will think twice before taking you on a second time.
I believe that had a lot to do with what Vietnam was really all about.
Oh yea, back on topic.
Fuck Jane Fonda. she was and is a traitor. How dare she bask in the glow of her .U.S. made celebrity while denigrating those who fought and died for freedom.
As for her apology, I accept it so much so that she can keep breathing but that is as far as my generosity for her goes.
Flame away lefty

Hmmm... I wonder why she apologized. I'm pretty sure that when someone asks for forgiveness, it needs to be sincere in pretty much any religion. Now, Jane could have been sincere in her apology... or, she could have been drumming up publicity for, TADAAA... selling her book! Not that such a wholesome lady would do such a thing....

well actually she apologized years ago, long before she wrote this book.

but even if you believe that she was insincere when she apologized, it doesn't justify spreading false rumors. The note-passing thing didn't happen.

-
Speed Racer

And they admit it soooooo, that makes them the only honest one!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

editorializing should not include lying.

After I wiped the tears from my eyes from laughing (from your comment) so hard I could not see I realized you are right:P
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Jane did apologize way back after the whole brouhaha blew up, but it didn't sound sincere. None of the veterans felt like she really owned up to her mistakes.

It's a fact that the Vietnam war was purely politically motivated. It was a bad war. The military were never really allowed to control it themselves. If they were, it would have been over years earlier and we'd have won.

It was okay to publicly oppose the war and hold peaceful demostrations against our government. What was NOT okay was to go fraternalize with the enemy and call our soldiers "baby killers", and publicly denounce our soldiers. They were just doing the job they were told to do. She should have kept her ass over there and lived with the Viet Cong for the rest of her life. >:(

Kudos to the spitter! Hoo rah! Edited to add: He deserves a medal! And if I ever meet him, I'm buying him a beer! :P:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What was NOT okay was to go fraternalize with the enemy and call our soldiers "baby killers", and publicly denounce our soldiers. They were just doing the job they were told to do. She should have kept her ass over there and lived with the Viet Cong for the rest of her life. >:(

Kudos to the spitter! Hoo rah! Edited to add: He deserves a medal! And if I ever meet him, I'm buying him a beer! :P:D

The gentleman who spit on her has probably softened over time. She is very lucky he just spit on her. Mind if I buy both of you beer?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Can you detail what she did? Not a challenge, I just never really heard the story. I just know my Dad HATES her.

She did not just oppose the war in Vietnam, she sided with the NVA and did so by traveling to Hanoi Vietnam. She fraternizied with the enemy by allowing her self to be photographed smiling, laughing, and giving the thumbs up to NVA troops while she sat in an anti aircraft gun used to shoot down US pilots.