JohnRich

Buy a Beer Keg - Register with the Government!

In the news, from North Carolina:

Keg proposals alarm Chapel Hill

"Bills filed in the General Assembly would require beer keg buyers to register with the state...

"The proposed laws would require keg buyers to obtain permits from the local Alcoholic Beverage Control board that listed when and where the keg would be consumed. Also, all keg purchases would be public records.

"Under one version, ABC officials would have the right to perform a criminal background check on a would-be keg buyer, at the applicant's expense.

"Advocates for the proposed laws say the extra measures will make it easier for police to enforce the laws, particularly when police will know where every keg party in town is being held."

Full story: News Observer

Now here is a government intrusion over which I think all skydivers can put aside their differences, and rally together against.

I'm sure it's for the sake of god or the fight against terrorism or somehow linked to national security, so it's okay.....right?

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

If you have a criminal background, can they stop you from buying alcohol?

Good question. I've never heard of a law which prohibits felons from drinking alcohol. So it makes you wonder what the point of this would be.

They'll get my beer when they pry my frosty mug from my cold, dead fingers.

I know they didn't give us a background check, but when I was in college in Athens, GA, we had to fill out a form basically like that one. We had to put the address we were taking the keg to, and somewhere on there we had to sign that we wouldn't serve minors (well, either minors or people under 21 - can't remember which).

And I think most people on probation are forbidden from drinking alcohol. Maybe that's what they mean by "background check"? Even so, though, if you can still buy a six-pack without a background check, it won't help with that.

registration is the first step before confiscation. Oh wait sorry wrong thread

Not necessarily the wrong thread. Why would the cops want to know where the keg parties are being held? So they can crash the party, arrest people, and confiscate their kegs...

Coming soon to a drop zone near you!

I guess we'll all just have to buy a whole lot of cases of beer, instead of just a couple of big kegs. Easy work-around. Stupid law.

It was attempted in the Colo. legislature last week......it failed miserably:)

I'm glad to hear that the people of Colorado still have some good sense.

Maybe they should require teenagers to register before having sex, in order to prevent unwanted teen pregnancy. Yeah, brilliant!

I know they didn't give us a background check, but when I was in college in Athens, GA, we had to fill out a form basically like that one. We had to put the address we were taking the keg to, and somewhere on there we had to sign that we wouldn't serve minors

I can see that for strictly business purposes, to recover their empty kegs, and to avoid liability for underage drinking. But the government shouldn't be involved in the transaction, other than to make the buyer prove he is of legal age to the seller.

Good question. I've never heard of a law which prohibits felons from drinking alcohol. So it makes you wonder what the point of this would be.

They'll get my beer when they pry my frosty mug from my cold, dead fingers.

I think the logic behind it is pretty stupid. How hard would it be to drive to the next state and buy a keg, throw it in the trunk and drive it home?

"Under one version, ABC officials would have the right to perform a criminal background check on a would-be keg buyer, at the applicant's expense.

Interesting. So, let's say for example, some friends are coming into town next month. So I apply for my keg permit - cost 110 dollars (for the background check). After three weeks, and a couple of days before the kegger is to start, I ask for a check on the status. "Sorry, we're backlogged. It may take 2-3 more weeks to process this application. (Government talk for, "We've got your money. We'll get around to it when we feel like it.")

Or, what about this one? My keg runs dry through a party on Saturday night. Oops. No refills...

What about my nice bar with a keg of Firestone Double Barrel tapped in it. After 4 months, it's all gone. Better wait up.

What a crock of shit...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I know that when I previously lived in a student heavy area, the police had big concerns about keg parties. Mostly for underage drinking, and violence.

Okay, so what makes the police think that the beer-buyer is going to tell the truth and put down a correct address on the registration form? They can't be that naive...

Then the legislature will have to make it a crime to lie on the registration form, so that they can punish beer-buyers who are caught at keg parties at other than the listed address.

And then they'll realize that partiers are just buying a whole lot of cases instead of kegs, to get around the registration. So then they'll apply the same rule to any purchase over one case of beer.

And so on, as we march down the road to tyranny from stupid laws.

Revolt! Drink your beer without telling the government! My only regret is that I have but one six-pack to drink to my country.

I thought this was to track where the kegs had been sold from in order to follow up with the "drink so much you die" thing. I'm still trying to figure out how registering a key would prevent that.

I think it's pretty easy to figure out where the keg comes from.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

So, are they going to put serial numbers on kegs or set up DUI roadblocks at both ends of the street?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I thought this was to track where the kegs had been sold from in order to follow up with the "drink so much you die" thing. I'm still trying to figure out how registering a key would prevent that.

I think it's pretty easy to figure out where the keg comes from.

Its not to figure out where it came from, but who bought it. This is really a college town thing. If a party gets busted and there are a bunch of underage kids there, they find out who bought the keg and charge him/her with contributing. They believe it will cut down on underage drinking because people of age will be reluctant to provide alcohol to those under age. Its a nice theory, but college kids will just have "case" parties instead of "keg" parties.