kallend

Coffins

As an old guy, I get to attend a lot of funerals these days.

I hope the Pope set a good example with his simple wood coffin. I really dislike those elaborate tacky affairs I so often see, that the funeral industry pressures grieving families to buy at great expense.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

His cypress coffin is going to be put inside a second, zinc coffin which will be hermetically sealed. These two coffins will then be put inside a third, oak coffin which will then be covered by a marble slab.

I like the simplicity of each, but I doubt the total cost was less than the average whizz-bang one people get told they ought to buy.

A while ago I read something about "green cemeteries." Bodies are not embalmed, and simple wooden caskets are used, with holes cut in the bottom for easier decomposition.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

***And you can't go wrong with a simple Kiss Kasket. You can even buy it ahead of time and use it as a cooler until you're ready to be buried in it.

And Gene Simmons wiil also personally sign it!!!! I feel so much better about going to hell, now that I can be burried in a KISS collectable!
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Yes, simple and dove tailed. Very nice and practical. IF they stopped there, I'd agree.

I'm more of a cremation type. Why waste all that land for cemetaries?

;)The governement should force people to do things the way we want them to instead of how each individual wants to provided they have the means. Or at least get the government to pay for everybody's funeral. It's only taxes.

There, that's more like speaker's corner.

Edit: Missed the whole point of the 'FUNERAL INDUSTRY' being a big bad guy and connected to defense and the Bush family, and helpless families being taken advantage of so that morticians can afford SUVs (which are evil even just sitting there empty) and take advantage of immigrant labor and defile the rest of the world's economy. Sure, I extrapolated a tiny bit here, you know that's what you meant. All I want is for people to take into account the "true" cost of pine vs oak or marble, when it's priced and, if they can't, to tax it such that they feel that pain enough to change behavior in coffin material choices. What harm could it have? Won't someone think of the children. :D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

***I'm more of a cremation type. Why waste all that land for cemetaries?

Absolutely
Bake and Shake..........the only way to go;)

I mean, we could be drilling for oil in those cemetaries right now.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

doesn't mean it's oil.

doesn't mean it's not

Even better, it could be fudge, or chocolate syrup. Only one way to find out.

Even better, it could be fudge, or chocolate syrup. Only one way to find out.

Dare you to stick a straw in one and give it a suck B|

I meant to process it and see if it gives my car engine improved performance and longevity. If not, then it's a confection.

Or pour it on a lawn mower and light it. If it burns nicely, it's some kind of petroleum product.

Oil is not tasty on vanilla ice cream

I'm going to have my body donated to sicence. That way, there is no funeral cost to my family and maybe just maybe some young medical student can learn some thing that will help him or her save a life later on.

I've been thinking of getting a full body tattoo that would show all of my internal organs and blood vessels exactly where they should be under my skin. Then I want to get another tattoo of a dotted line running down from below my neck all the way down my chest to the abdomen where it would then split off to either side effectivly giving a cut line to open me completely up.
Next I want to get a tattoo where the dotted line begins that reads." Pay attention kid. This shits important."
The only problem is that the wife's not into the tattoo idea. something about freaking out the kids in the neighborhood or something. Sheeesh

Penn and Teller did a great piece on the death industry. I think everyone should see it. Lots of eye opening info. Check it out. You'll be glad you did.
the CD series is called Bullshit and you can find it on at Blockbuster.

Here is a piece of worthy death advice. Don't buy a funeral plot. Why? Because, They cost alot of money that could be better spent on the living and, society hates a rotting corps. They will take care of it. I promise

Although, in reality, he's buried in three. So I guess he's not setting the example that Kallend mentioned. I still agree with Kallend on that point, though.

"Interestingly enough, the pope is buried in not one, but three coffins. The first is made of cypress to signify that popes are human and are buried like common men. The second is lead and carries his name, the dates of his pontificate, and copies of the important documents issued during his reign. The pope’s broken seal is also placed in this coffin by the Camerlengo before it is sealed. The third coffin is made of elm, a highly prized wood in Rome, to signify the great dignity of the pope."

Papal Election and Succession

Added: Oh....and then he's entombed. It's the layered approach. ;)

Here's a question. why do we use coffins, why not just wrap a corps in degradable cloth or plastic
Bury them or burn them as the case may be.

I for one don't really care what they do with my "empty shell" after my neurons cease to fire.
I'm not being unsensative an I've spoken at length with my wife on this subject
when I die my body goes to any institution that wants it. My point of view is paying
hard earned cash for a furneral is a waste of hard earned cash
I would'nt mind spending some money on having a tree planted in my name

Gone fishing

A funeral is WAY more for those left behind rather than the one being buried, burned, or whatever. That's really what the money is being spent on. I agree with you on the whole cloth thing. However, it makes family and friends feel better not having to think of you in the ground with dirt on your face. ;) I hate funerals. I had to go to one last week.

When I donate my body to science I'm hoping that my corps can be used in high speed crash test or something else cool like that.
How cool would that be to be straped into a vehicle hauling ass down a road at high speed until KABLAMMO right into another car or something. Try that in life it's going to hurt do it while your dead and no big deal.
"Woohoo! Lets do it again. Lets do it again"
If you can't have fun when your dead then whats the frigging point?

When I donate my body to science I'm hoping that my corps can be used in high speed crash test or something else cool like that.
How cool would that be to be straped into a vehicle hauling ass down a road at high speed until

You should leave your body to Mythbusters and your body would most certainly be used for something cool. B|

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

As an old guy, I get to attend a lot of funerals these days.

I hope the Pope set a good example with his simple wood coffin. I really dislike those elaborate tacky affairs I so often see, that the funeral industry pressures grieving families to buy at great expense.

For my mother's funeral, one of the options I was offered was a cardboard box. I shit you not.

She would have loved it too. She hated the idea of spending cash on an elaborate send off.

I was going to get it, and maybe bung a few stickers on it and get people to sign it, but I was talked out of it by the other relations. I thought it would have been kind of nice to have people write a little message on it at the crematorium, but in the end, perhaps it was for the best that it all stayed more traditional.

I must admit I had considered Donation to Medical Science - at least that way my skeleton gets to be dressed up & attend some KILLER Nurse & doctor parties!:D

Then there was the cardboard coffin & £500 put behind the bar thing (I hate waste)!:)
But finally... I decided on the feck-off-expensive option: Embalmed, dressed in my favourite cut-off Rohan shorts, T-Shirt & Tevas, and placed in the lotus position under conditions of strict secrecy on the summit of Everest.... Purely for the satisfaction of puzzling the feck out of future generations of archeologists & mountaineers loaded down with O2 & techie stuff!:) Plus... It promotes the whole "Geordie-T-Shirt" thing!

Now. For the avoidance of doubt... this is my ORIGINAL idea ( so no copying)!>:(

Mike.:ph34r:

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.