CanuckInUSA

Female rape victims in CO should stay away from Catholic Hospitals

Straight to the insults huh...........
Too bad, I was looking for the exchange of ideas:(
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I don't like being around smokers but I do not believe that local governments should tell a food severing business to go to a smoke free environment. That should be the owner choice and then the customers choose whether or not to go there (i know victims go to the closest hospital)

Should you be forced to give out information you do not believe in?

.....by the way, I have not as yet given my opinion about what the hospitals are doing.......
Abraham Lincoln

I don't like being around smokers but I do not believe that local governments should tell a food severing business to go to a smoke free environment. That should be the owner choice and then the customers choose whether or not to go there (i know victims go to the closest hospital)

Should you be forces to give out information you do not believe in?

.....by the way, I have not as yet given my opinion about what the hospitals are doing.......

Physicians have a responsibility to their patients first. Not all of their patients will share their religious views, and to use a woman's rape as an opportunity to further your religious agenda is unethical, I believe.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Insults towards who? You ... no ... the Catholic Church ... you better believe it. :P

Too bad, I was looking for the exchange of ideas

What ideas would you like to exchange? I see some resemblance of your point that the Government is not forcing certain beliefs on a given religious group (believe me I thought about this before I even started the thread). But why is it that it is okay for a political leader to cater to a religious group than to help protect and educate the people who he's in office to serve? These women have been raped. If I was one of them I would want nothing to do with the #######'# sperm who did this to me. But the response of Catholics instead is to protect life at all cost. An unwanted life at that. What about the rights of the raped woman? What about her life?

Up until now I have never had any reason to think Governor Owens had a religious agenda. But I'm not so sure any more. It sounds like his personal beliefs and morals are more important than the need to educate women (who have been raped) about their medical options. We're not talking about foolish teenagers having sex here. We are talking about women who have been raped.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Just out of curiosity, how many Women do not know about the "day after pill"

How many on this site did not know about it?

It seems to me you all are making a bigger issue out of this than what it is. Hell, even the Women that were raped were split on the issue. This is of course according to the article where it claimed two Women who got pregnant from being raped were against the bill. Does that mean they had only four raped womens opinions that were split?

Are there any other cases where the goverment tells a hospital that it must inform about a certain procedure or medication?

I am all for this pill, but I can't see what you all are getting upset over. This is not the goverments business to tell people what services to educate about. What's next?

I need to know much more than the article I read to really have an opinion on this.

But back to the reason I posted. How many women are really not aware of the pill? Have they been living in a cave?
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Many women do not know what it is, how it is used, when it can be used, what side effects there are, or how to go about getting it when a physician will not discuss it with her.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

how it is used, when it can be used, what side effects there are

Was this not part of the reason it was vetoed? Because of the language of the bill not requiring all of the above? At least according to the Gov.

btw- where do you get your info from that many women don't know about it. Not arguing, although I do find it hard to believe. Just curious
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

>Should you be forced to give out information you do not believe in?

If a doctor hates gays, is it OK if he tells a patient of his that there is no treatment for HIV, and he should resign himself to imminent death? After all, why force him to give out information to save someone he despises?

Should you be forces to give out information you do not believe in?

Physicians have a responsibility to their patients first. Not all of their patients will share their religious views, and to use a woman's rape as an opportunity to further your religious agenda is unethical, I believe.

linz

I have no agenda.[:/] Do you?
Abraham Lincoln

Insults towards who? You ... no ... the Catholic Church ... you better believe it. :P

Too bad, I was looking for the exchange of ideas

What ideas would you like to exchange? I see some resemblance of your point that the Government is not forcing certain beliefs on a given religious group (believe me I thought about this before I even started the thread). But why is it that it is okay for a political leader to cater to a religious group than to help protect and educate the people who he's in office to serve? These women have been raped. If I was one of them I would want nothing to do with the #######'# sperm who did this to me. But the response of Catholics instead is to protect life at all cost. An unwanted life at that. What about the rights of the raped woman? What about her life?

Up until now I have never had any reason to think Governor Owens had a religious agenda. But I'm not so sure any more. It sounds like his personal beliefs and morals are more important than the need to educate women (who have been raped) about their medical options. We're not talking about foolish teenagers having sex here. We are talking about women who have been raped.

Your points about the, and related to the woman (victim) I completely agree with.

But I feel the agenda is coming from the other side, not the catholic side! Why are the non-religious considered to have the high road. Those beliefs are no different than that of the church! (from a belief point of view) Those that do not believe want to force their way on the rest.
Abraham Lincoln

>Should you be forced to give out information you do not believe in?

If a doctor hates gays, is it OK if he tells a patient of his that there is no treatment for HIV, and he should resign himself to imminent death? After all, why force him to give out information to save someone he despises?

First off, I think you have taken the thread to an extreem however, I think that a Dr. should be able to treat whom he wants too, unless we are dealing with an imediate life threatening situation.

You also can not automaticaly assume HIV makes some one gay.......

No government belongs in situations like this......
Abraham Lincoln

>however, I think that a Dr. should be able to treat whom he wants too,
>unless we are dealing with an imediate life threatening situation.

Generally doctors are held to a higher standard than that. I recall one team that worked on someone in the ER who had a swastika tatooed on his forehead. Most of the doctors thought he was scum, but he still got good medical care.

>You also can not automaticaly assume HIV makes some one gay.......

Of course not - but many do.

I think that a Dr. should be able to treat whom he wants too,

The bill wouldn't force a doctor to treat anyone. It would only mandate that the doctor inform a rape victim of all her options.
I can't imagine a physician intentionally withholding information from a patient about treatment options, but it happens all the time. We now know which hospitals do this and hopefully boycotting them will make a difference - but probably not, this is Colorado after all.
Quote from a nurse I know: They are an embarrassment to the medical profession. If I got hit by a car on their doorstep, the words floating on my dying breath would be fuck you.

By vetoing the bill, he was ignoring seperation of church and state.

On the contrary, I'd say he was enforcing the idea of separation of church and state.

This bill would have forced a religeous facility to hand out information on a pill that they oppose on religeous grounds. By forcing them to hand it out, the government would have forced a religeous institution to ignore one of it's beliefs. THAT is a direct violation of the principle of separation.

The constitution does not say that there must be separation of Chuch and State. It does say:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

someone emailed me this, but did not reference the source, I apologize for not having that handy.

"The point of the amendment is twofold. First, it ensures that religious beliefs - private or organized - are removed from attempted government control. This is the reason why the government cannot tell either you or your church what to believe or to teach. Second, it ensures that the government does not get involved with enforcing, mandating, or promoting particular religious doctrines. This is what happens when the government "establishes" a church - and because doing so created so many problems in Europe, the authors of the Constitution wanted to try and prevent the same from happening here."

A rape victim needs to be informed of all of her options. I don't see how she is denied that simply because the hospital didn't tell her about it. Someone else can tell her. Planned Parenthood seems to be an advocate of the pill.

That said, I'm all for the Morning After Pill. I think it's a wise choice in the case of rape. But I don't think there should be a law requiring ME to tell you about it.

Should you be forced to give out information you do not believe in?

Not the best analogy ... A better analogy would be, should cigarrete makers be forced to put the surgeons general warning on cigarettes?
This ad space for sale.

??? Better analogy for what??

The bill that was vetod, was to force doctors to inform of a method of birth control. It did not require them to inform them of the side effect of that method. According to the Gov., this was one of the flaws of the Bill,

I have yet to read the Bill myself though

this is nothing like forcing a restaurant to be nonsmoking. completely different analogy.

Offering information about available medication and forcing that medication to be given are different issues entirely.

furthermore, a physician has a responsibility for a persons well being, regardless of their personal beliefs.

any doctor worth his salt would also inform of the side effects of any medication. i understand (and know from personal experience) that they tend not to do this ... but from reading the article it seemed that the main reason was pressure from religious groups. of course, he's not going to mention that as a reason though.
This ad space for sale.

this is nothing like forcing a restaurant to be nonsmoking. completely different analogy.

I was not talking about the above analogy, but the one you gave which was even more silly.