rhys

american college students

so today we did 100 tandems, 60 of these were american students on holidays.

i asked many (not all) of them where they were from and what they were studying. only 1 out of about 20 odd that i asked thought they were going to work in the field they were studying for???????

there are professional students here in new zealand but heck man most poeple i know have studied something they wanted to further. i guess these were rich kids. is this common in the united states or anywhere for that matter.

no wonder we have to pay for education if those sort of statistics are common. what a waste.

[:/]
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Actually that is really the norm, I cannot remember the statistic. But, a large portion of people are doing something their degree was not intended for. It is not being unmotivated, or "rich kid" but rather exploring intrest. After investing so much time and energy many just want to explore other options. They get burnt on the one subject.

so today we did 100 tandems, 60 of these were american students on holidays.

i asked many (not all) of them where they were from and what they were studying. only 1 out of about 20 odd that i asked thought they were going to work in the field they were studying for???????

there are professional students here in new zealand but heck man most poeple i know have studied something they wanted to further. i guess these were rich kids. is this common in the united states or anywhere for that matter.

no wonder we have to pay for education if those sort of statistics are common. what a waste.

[:/]

The education systems of America differs greatly from many other countries. For the most part, many of us in the US did not know what we wanted to do until even our second or third year of university. We are also usually in secondary school until 18.

This is in opposition to my some of my friends in England, who, after secondary school, were in Sixth Form to focus what they wanted to do before going to a University.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

What's so strange? In high school, everyone told me that I should be an accountant because I was good with math. Um...no thank you! Boring stuff to me.

So I became a cosmetologist for awhile until I decided what I wanted to do for a living. (Degree # 1) After working in the field for a bit, I realized that working as a cosmetologist wasn't for me - the field was a tad too catty for me. (I'd already worked enough to pay off that education.)

I then decided to work as a temp for awhile to figure out what I wanted to do. Found out I loved making computers do things people said that they couldn't. I went back to school for my Bachelor of Science; major - Management Information Systems. (Degree # 2) I've worked in the IT field as a programmer for 4 1/2 years and got bored silly with programming so I went into the project management side of the field and worked as a business analyst and a manager (just shy of 7 years of IT experience). I've been laid off 3 of my last 4 IT jobs - once because the company moved to Denver; once because the company closed; and once because they did their budgets after hiring me and realized they couldn't afford me - headcount nor money. (I'm almost done paying off the student loans from that degree.)

So...now what am I doing? I'm enrolled in college as a pre-vet student and going to be going to vet school. (Degree # 3 and I don't even want to think about how much this will cost me.)

I'm definitely not rich and when I started out getting my first degree - cosmetologist - going through it I knew that I wouldn't work in that field forever. That it was a means to an end.

The reality is that a lot of students go to school for what they want but know that their degree may not be in high demand or so tiny of a field that they may end up not being able to work in the field they choose. Nothing wrong with it...just a different way of life.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Speaking only for the math and science based disciplines, students in the first two years in US colleges are doing what students in the final two years of high school are doing in Europe and European based systems (like the former British Empire). US high school hours/day and days/year are lower than in Europe, and a lot more time is spent on stuff like gym and "study hall".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We are different in the US. We do not take the standard tests like they do in England or elsewhere. I remember being on vacation in England and the results came out. "Such and such scored blah, and is going to attend balnk to read law." You just don't see that.

In America, since education is not free unless you are good at a sport (in which case, most athletes on scholarship don't get educated, anyway), if you want to go to college you can. I started college as a biology major. After failing out, then getting back in, I chose political science and kicked ass.

It was not until I figured out you can't do anything with a political science degree (I was goign Reserves in the Army) that I decided to go to law school to join the FBI. It wasn't until the summer after my first year that I deided I wanted to go into litigation.

Our experiences mold us. If we mess up our SAT, we can take it again. If I work in a factory until I'm 35 and decide, "I want to go to college" I can do so much more easily that elsewhere.

How many 21 year-olds really know what they want to do or what life is about?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

My Wife's undergraduate degree was in mathematics (because that's what she excelled in and could make the grades she needed). She also took her pre-med classes during that time. She then went to Medical School and followed that with 4 years of Residency. She's now working as an OB/GYN Physician. There's not much that she does now which references her previous studies in mathematics. I'm sure it helped develop her critical thinking skills, though, which would be of great benefit in the medical field. However, my point is that school and learning isn't all about how much money you can make later or what you intend to do for the rest of your life. It's sometimes about simply bettering yourself with the acquisition of more knowledge. You can never have enough and whatever you study should help you in life no matter what you finally decide to do.

Added: By the way, there were people who showed up at Medical School with a plethora of various undergraduate degrees such as English and History which didn’t pertain at all to their newly chosen paths. I’m sure they developed in a positive manner from the experience, though.

Unless you're going into a very specific field, such as engineering or some sciences, here it isn't usually necessary to pick something you want a career in, because we have many "general education" requirements that go along with our degrees. I was a film major with a dance minor. I worked in the television industry for two years before deciding that film, for me, was much more rewarding as a hobby rather than a career.

In college, I took:

3 history classes
1 political science class
4 English/Literature classes
1 Linguistics class
9 music classes
2 science classes
1 research and writing class
6 film/editing/directing classes
6 screenplay/writing for television classes
20 or so dance classes
and several more I'm forgetting.

So, regardless of what we major in, we end up with a pretty well rounded education. When we really specialize our education we typically do so working for a master's or doctorate.

Most employers here don't care what your university degree is in, just that you have one, so people will pick something that interests them so they can enjoy school while they're there.

Speaking only for the math and science based disciplines, students in the first two years in US colleges are doing what students in the final two years of high school are doing in Europe and European based systems (like the former British Empire). US high school hours/day and days/year are lower than in Europe, and a lot more time is spent on stuff like gym and "study hall".

Yes, Doc, We're all fucktards. Stick to teaching Arab billionaires' sons at IIT, and watch all the Caucasian ROTC Mids/Cadets flunk out 'cause, afterall, we're fucktards.

If you're such an anglophile, why stick around IIT?

College in the US isn't vocational training. We do have schools of that sort too though, for those who do know what they want to do. I think it's pretty unusual for a 18 yo to know. Short of making them work for a couple years first, there's no way to improve upon this.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that 30% (or greater) of the undergrads at Cal are 'pre-med,' which isn't a degree. Most will not be accepted into a medical school, so they'll take those degrees in chem, bio, etc and find a new path. On the humanities side, quite a few were 'pre-law.'

Yes, Doc, We're all fucktards.

That's not what he said. Many do catch up, just look at those finishing university and those going on. Also interesting to note is that many European universities do not have the three degree structure, but a two degree structure. with the first degree falling somewhere between a Bachelor's and a Masters and the final degree probably on par with a PhD.

For Holland, also interesting to note, there are several different levels of High School. One must attain the highest level of High School to be eligable for university. Those graduating from that highest level of high school are certainly better educated than most graduates from the North American high school system.

In the end it levels out depending on when during an academic career you compare.

You may want to really read before you attack.

Yes, Doc, We're all fucktards. Stick to teaching Arab billionaires' sons at IIT, and watch all the Caucasian ROTC Mids/Cadets flunk out 'cause, afterall, we're fucktards.

If you're such an anglophile, why stick around IIT?

Nice rant. Now, which fact in my post are you disputing? They are all very easy to confirm or refute.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i think that the most important part of getting a degree is that it makes a statement to employers that you had the discipline and fortitude to actually stick it out. learning a field to specialize in comes later.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

My Wife's undergraduate degree was in mathematics (because that's what she excelled in and could make the grades she needed). She also took her pre-med classes during that time. She then went to Medical School and followed that with 4 years of Residency. She's now working as an OB/GYN Physician. There's not much that she does now which references her previous studies in mathematics. I'm sure it helped develop her critical thinking skills, though, which would be of great benefit in the medical field. However, my point is that school and learning isn't all about how much money you can make later or what you intend to do for the rest of your life. It's sometimes about simply bettering yourself with the acquisition of more knowledge. You can never have enough and whatever you study should help you in life no matter what you finally decide to do.

Added: By the way, there were people who showed up at Medical School with a plethora of various undergraduate degrees such as English and History which didn’t pertain at all to their newly chosen paths. I’m sure they developed in a positive manner from the experience, though.

I took the exact same path, except I am gonna end up in anesthesia or surgery. I can't even coutnt eh number of different degrees my classmates have. Variety is good though.

they were from a few different schools from the north east.

and to reply to others who think having a degree to look good on the c.v.?

i you have a degree and don't use it does that not tell a potential employer you don't know what you want to do?

do we live our live for ourselves or potential employers?

these students who were tandem punters were telling us we had the best job in the world and we are very lucky.

i agree we have the best job in the world and luck has a little to do with it but i knew before i did my very first jump that i wanted to be a commercial skydiver!

these students could hjave the same job if they 'really' wanted it.

to study for somthing you are not passionate about is a waste of time. instead spend you time and money travelling around to discover your passion then you will know what you want to do.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix