PhillyKev

Good thing guns are banned in Canada

Ok...now that one I'm going to have to argue with.

Canadian's say sorry a lot and call you buddy a lot, and people attibute that to politeness. But I also saw some rude ass Canadians yesterday in line at Customs.

The guy behind me (with Canadian passport in hand) says to me, "Can you watch my bag for me I think I dropped my boarding pass back there." I said, "No, sorry, that's the first they're going to ask me up at the counter." I was about to continue with...."but I'll save your spot in line" (after all, the only bag the guy had was a small shoulder bag anyway)...when he exclaimed, "Thanks a lot, freak!". I politely told him to "Fuck off, buddy."

A short while later the guy proceeded to squeeze past me while I was turned around in line to get in front of me. (He never did go looking for his boarding pass..hmmm). I let that slide since I wasn't really in a rush and was almost at the counter so didn't wish to make a scene.

Besides, when I got up to the customs agent, to my suprise they didn't ask me if anyone asked me to watch their bags for them. But, I felt it was my civic duty to volunteer that information and pointed out the polite Canadian who pushed past me in line and called me a freak, who was standing at the next booth over. Strangely enough, they took him into some side room..hmmm....

Ahh yes, like in a previous thread, the thing with the rule and the exception.

Point is...once again, passing laws restricting guns doesn't keep criminals from getting them.

Yep... you are absolutely correct. I am always amazed that I have to explain this to some people. The easiest way I found so far is to point out that laws against murder, theft, adultery and drunk driving don't stop those activities either!

This is true. Some people hold these up against gun bans and say, "Well if you want to scrap gun bans because they don't stop criminals from getting and using guns, why not scrap laws against murder because they don't prevent murderers from killing?"

Now, that line of argument is specious. Here's why.
The purpose of outlawing murder and theft, et al, is to provide that anyone committing them can be punished, because those things are BAD. Simply owning a gun is not, of and by itself, BAD. It is neutral. What you DO with that gun can be good or bad or neutral -- but that falls under the heading of murder, theft, et al.

A law against having a gun does nothing to make anyone safer, and neither does a law against murder. Those who choose to own an illegal gun, those who choose to commit a criminal murder... they will do it despite a law that says, "Don't."

But we have a NEED to punish a murderer, to remove him from society. We do NOT have a NEED to punish someone simply for the sake of his having a gun! There is no specific harm in that. Harm comes in only if you decide to commit an offense with the gun. And if you are hoping to prevent offenses by preventing people from having the means to offend, you have to roll back the rules of what we're allowed to have far beyond just guns, because the same twisted logic can be applied to baseball bats, cars, alcohol, gasoline and thousands of other things.

The long and the short of it is, laws against gun ownership and laws against murder and other things like it are not on a parallel at all.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

***You are deluding yourself if you think that Canada's gun laws have anything to do with keeping you safe.

I think you are the delusional one. I'll keep supporting our gun laws, and keep urging that they become more stringent.

Guns are made for one reason only: killing.

Next logical question you must answer, assuming your statement is axiomatic (which it is not, actually, but that's another issue):

"Is all killing bad?"

Failing to answer this question leaves us trying to control guns in order to stop "killing," but does not address the fact that killing in defense of the lives of the innocent is NOT BAD, and is not an argument for the prevention of killing using guns (or anything else, and for that matter, I don't see you urging tighter knife and bat controls).

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Point is...once again, passing laws restricting guns doesn't keep criminals from getting them.

Same could be said for crack cocaine and heroine.

Hey, Tuna...I actually agree with you. I think those bans are useless as well. They do nothing to curtail illegal drug use, just like gun control laws do nothing to curtail illegal guns. Both problems are indeed problems, but they need to be addressed through other methods. Prohibition in a free society does not, never has, and never will work.

I think those bans are useless as well.

And that, my friends, sums up liberals.

Now you know why republicans will have been in office at least 20 out of the past 28 years.

Liberals need to sit down and take a deep, hard, long look at themselves and their beliefs and policies. They are extremely backwards and causing them to lose election after election. Gut check time.

Forty-two

Liberals need to sit down and take a deep, hard, long look at themselves and their beliefs and policies. They are extremely backwards

And you're making that statement based on the glowing success of the war on drugs and various gun bans around the country?

Here's a clue...the war on drugs isn't working. And last I checked, liberals didn't support relaxed gun laws. Nice try though. Come again.

When making pointless partisan attacks to feed the desire for bitter controversy, try to choose the topics that match your rhetoric a little more closely.

Thats may be the most absurd statement I have heard. I know many, many people who have specialty target rifles, trap model shotguns, target pistols, ect., some of which are quite expensive. People do not pay 15 grand for a trap style gun to go in the woods and hunt with it. Nor do they own it for self protection. I have friends that compete in handgun matches but keep their pistol in a safe in the basement when there not at the range shooting. Self protection never crossed their mind getting into shooting. I also know people who compete in trap,skeet, or sporting clays with guns designed specifically for that purpose who have never hunted in there life.

Most households I know have at least one gun. The amount of people I know with skydiving rigs is a small fraction of my total family/friends. I have never lost anyone close or seen someone die from a gunshot wound. I have seen too many friends/people die skydiving. I have also seen first hand deaths in motorcycle racing and in snowmobiles. Still a small prcentage of people I know own these compared to those who own guns. Which do you think is safer? Owning a gun, or owning a rig?

I vote we Ban Skydiving Rigs.

Then snowmobiles, motorcycles and soon we had better get rid of automobiles.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

***You are deluding yourself if you think that Canada's gun laws have anything to do with keeping you safe.

I think you are the delusional one. I'll keep supporting our gun laws, and keep urging that they become more stringent.

As one Canadian to another, maybe you should understand that the gun registry hasn't saved one life and has wasted a billion dollars that could have been put to much better use. The gun registry has made criminals of many law abiding citizens of this country.... About a year ago I met up with some old retired guys I used to work with in my previous occupation. They all have had several guns all their lives for hunting....22's, shotguns, deer rifles. They asked each other if their guns had been registered...none of them had any intention of registering their guns.

They are now criminals...and some of the finest citizens this country has. It's a shame the government has wasted all that money to make some people feel like something is being done to make them safer.

Clueless. Absolutely clueless.

btw - I'm not a gun owner.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Toronto is to be forgiven for anything they might do wrong for 100 years, just because they gave us Rush.

I'm sure you'll be thrilled to know that I grew up with Alex Lifeson living down the street. B|

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

It's a shame the government has wasted all that money to make some people feel like something is being done to make them safer.

Yes, and the really sad, really bad thing about it all is that those who say they believe in these bans and these registries that don't work WILL NEVER ADMIT IT, because that would require that they admit they were WRONG about something, and that their views were misguided and erroneous. So they cling and cling and cling, even though everyone knows they're wrong, and even though they themselves know that everyone knows that they themselves know they're wrong. The tenacity with which they cling to obviously failed policies with no rational reason for doing so is something that could be the subject of doctoral theses...

What I'm saying is, don't expect the cheerleaders for gun bans and registries to go abandoning those useless gestures any time soon.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

As one Canadian to another, maybe you should understand that the gun registry hasn't saved one life and has wasted a billion dollars that could have been put to much better use. The gun registry has made criminals of many law abiding citizens of this country.... About a year ago I met up with some old retired guys I used to work with in my previous occupation. They all have had several guns all their lives for hunting....22's, shotguns, deer rifles. They asked each other if their guns had been registered...none of them had any intention of registering their guns.

They are now criminals...and some of the finest citizens this country has. It's a shame the government has wasted all that money to make some people feel like something is being done to make them safer.

btw - I'm not a gun owner.

Ditto

If you really believe this, why aren't you willing to stand behind your statement, and be known for it?

He has been around dz.com much longer then most of us. When the site became a lot more populer, he isnt the only one who removed his personal details. I would have too if I wasnt green.
Remster

Sure thing Bill. It would be nice though to be able to have discussions again without one or two trolls blasting you about totally unrelated topics that are weeks old just to try and prove that they're cool or some other strange motivation.

If this gets me banned so be it. But it has to be said. Someone should use some judgment about the general tone of certain posters and why they post on these forums. Bottom line, no one is more personally insulting to more people than tuna.

Toronto has some of the worst examples of urban sprawl anywhere, especially in the North and East.

_Am

Toronto is to be forgiven for anything they might do wrong for 100 years, just because they gave us Rush. :)

can they take them back now? its time to retire... did you see that last tour?? gaahh talk about wooden... dont get me wrong it was my 12th & 13th time seeing Rush since Hemispheres....but its time they moved on... Geddy's solo album was much more interesting....as for Victor?? well maybe Alex can find work on the amateur fight circuit apparently he has a good right hook still ;)