airdvr

Clinton spins Monica in the library

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- Bill Clinton's presidential library, opening Thursday, covers Whitewater and Monica Lewinsky in a single display that portrays the White House scandals as a "fight for power" and an exercise in the "politics of persecution."

"We had to show this was a systematic attempt by Republican leaders to de-legitimize Bill Clinton and the administration," said former Clinton adviser Bruce Lindsey, who worked with the ex-president through much of the exhibit-design process.

The nation's second presidential impeachment is dealt with alongside other scandals in an 8-by-6-foot alcove titled "The Fight for Power."

http://www2.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/17/clinton.opening.ap/

Clinton doesn't need any help de-legitamizing his legacy...he did fine all by himself.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

It's not that much of a joke. No matter what your personal feelings about the Lewinski scandal, you have have to admit that there definitely was motivation on the part of his accusers to shift power. (And it apparently worked).

Not saying that Clinton was innocent, but methinks the idea of impeaching a democratic president was more of a motivator for many in congress than some idea of justice.

Not saying that Clinton was innocent, but methinks the idea of impeaching a democratic president was more of a motivator for many in congress than some idea of justice.

I don't think anyone, including Clinton, says he's innocent. The idea of whether someone is being "unjustly persecuted" seems to be a matter of a persons position on the political spectrum.

The ones who always amazed me were the "theoretically non-partisan" groups like NOW.

When Clarence Thomas told dirty jokes, they tried to keep him off the Supreme Court because it was "inappropriate". Woman working for man making inappropriate remarks. The NOW was all over it.

Clinton exposes himself to a state employee, Paula Jones. Obvious sexual harrassment. Where was NOW?

Monica Lewinsky? Sex, sexual harrassment of a direct report.
Kathryn Willey? Groping, unwanted touching.
Those are only the "knowns".

Where was NOW? Kissing Bill Clintons brown spot.

My all-time favorite was John Tower. He was accused of drinking and chasing woman. (Being single like him, I think these are both excellent forms of recreation.)

John Tower was on the witness stand and was asked: "What would you do if we rejected your nomination on the grounds that you're a boozing womanizer?"

"Move to Massachusetts and run for the U.S. senate."

Read it again...."We had to show this was a systematic attempt by Republican leaders to de-legitimize Bill Clinton and the administration,"

Geez...it was an attempt to expose the holder of the highest office in the land for what he was...a baldfaced liar. I still have no problem with womanizing and back hallway headjobs...more power to him if he can get away with it. But when he stared into that camera and pointed his finger at us..."I never had sexual relations with that woman"...Calling it partisan is spin pure and simple.

Destinations by Roxanne

it was an attempt to expose the holder of the highest office in the land for what he was...a baldfaced liar.

Very true. Buy why? Because of the moral integrity and overwhelming veracity of republican congressmen? Or because he was a democrat? Do you honestly believe it would have been pushed the same way if it were a republican president?

it was an attempt to expose the holder of the highest office in the land for what he was...a baldfaced liar.

Very true. Buy why? Because of the moral integrity and overwhelming veracity of republican congressmen? Or because he was a democrat? Do you honestly believe it would have been pushed the same way if it were a republican president?

Hehe...if it had been GWB...with a dem controlled congress...it would have been a feeding frenzy

Destinations by Roxanne

Fortunately I beleive W has a far higher moral standard. I'm not saying he's not getting skull from some intern somewhere...but if he was busted he'd come clean

Riiiighhhht. Like he came clean about his cocaine use. First he refused to confirm or deny it. Later he would say only that "when I was young and irresponsible, I was young and irresponsible." Next he said that the issue wasn't relevant. Then he said that he wouldn't address "rumors." Then he said that he could pass a standard security check dating back seven years.

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- Bill Clinton's presidential library, opening Thursday, covers Whitewater and Monica Lewinsky in a single display that portrays the White House scandals as a "fight for power" and an exercise in the "politics of persecution."

"We had to show this was a systematic attempt by Republican leaders to de-legitimize Bill Clinton and the administration," said former Clinton adviser Bruce Lindsey, who worked with the ex-president through much of the exhibit-design process.

The nation's second presidential impeachment is dealt with alongside other scandals in an 8-by-6-foot alcove titled "The Fight for Power."

http://www2.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/17/clinton.opening.ap/

Clinton doesn't need any help de-legitamizing his legacy...he did fine all by himself.

No kidding. The Lie of the Century: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>The Lie of the Century: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

That was last century. This century we have "Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised." Good to see we're carrying on one of our finest traditions.

Fortunately I beleive W has a far higher moral standard.

I almost spit on my monitor at that one! Thanks for the laugh!

lol - same here. Nothing like drunk driving and some cocain to make you moral! Oh ya, and that bit about decieving the entire world....

>The Lie of the Century: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

That was last century. This century we have "Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised." Good to see we're carrying on one of our finest traditions.

Saddam's WMD hidden in Syria, says Iraq survey chief
By Con Coughlin
(Filed: 25/01/2004)

David Kay, the former head of the coalition's hunt for Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, yesterday claimed that part of Saddam Hussein's secret weapons programme was hidden in Syria.

In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, Dr Kay, who last week resigned as head of the Iraq Survey Group, said that he had uncovered evidence that unspecified materials had been moved to Syria shortly before last year's war to overthrow Saddam.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/01/25/wirq25.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/01/25/ixnewstop.html

Just can't imagine why anyone would have been inclined to think SH had WMD's (see below);)

Weapons inspection: the key dates

Iraq's cat-and-mouse games with UN weapons inspectors over the past 12 years have brought the country to the brink of war with the United States and Britain. Some of the key dates include:

February 28
The Gulf War ends, Saddam Hussien's regime remains intact and Iraq's possesion of chemical and biological weapons remains an issue.

April 6
Iraq accepts UN resolution 687 calling for it to eliminate its chemical and biological weapon stocks and allows United Nations weapons inspectors to monitor this process. Weapons inspectors are soon barred from some of Iraq's most sensitive sites, including the presidential palaces where Iraq has been accused of hiding chemical weapons.

October 29
Iraq blocks US weapons inspectors, provoking a diplomatic crisis which is defused by a Russian-brokered compromise.

January 13
Iraq bars an inspection by a US-dominated team and accuses its leader, Scott Ritter, of spying for America.

February 23
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan announces a deal on weapons inspections after meeting Saddam Hussein.

October 31
Baghdad announces it has ceased all co-operation with Unscom, the United Nations Special Commission set up for weapons inspections in Iraq.

November 14
The Iraqi leadership tells the UN it is willing to allow inspections to resume.

November 17
Unscom inspectors return to Iraq.

December 16
The UN orders weapons inspectors out of the country after Unscom chief Richard Butler said the Iraqis were still refusing to cooperate. US air strikes on Iraq begin within hours.

December 17
Unscom is replaced by the UN Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission (Unmovic). Iraq rejects the resolution.

March 1
Hans Blix assumes the post of Unmovic executive chairman.

May 3
Unmovic and Iraqi officials hold talks - the first to take place at technical level since December 1998.

July 31
Richard Butler tells a US Senate committee that Iraq stepped up the production of chemical and biological weapons after UN inspections ended - and might even be close to developing a nuclear bomb.

August 1
Iraq says the chief weapons inspector, Blix, is welcome in Baghdad for "technical talks".

September 12
: President Bush warns Iraq that military action will be unavoidable if it does not comply with UN resolutions on disarmament.

September 16
Iraq offers to allow the unconditional return of weapons inspectors.

September 24
Britain publishes a report on Iraq's weapons programmes.

October 1
Blix and Iraq agree practical arrangements for the return of weapons inspectors. US Secretary of State Colin Powell rejects it and says the US wants a tough new UN Security Council resolution.

October 25
US formally proposes a new resolution on disarming Iraq to the UN Security Council.

November 4
Saddam Hussein says Iraq will comply with a new UN resolution as long as it does not serve as an excuse for US military action.

November 8
UN Security Council unanimously passes a new resolution on Iraq's disarmament, warning of "serious consequences" for material breaches. Under UN resolution 1441 the use of force can only be considered if Iraq lies in its declaration of its weapons programme and obstructs the work of inspectors.

November 18
Blix leads UN inspectors back to Baghdad to start their mission.

November 27
The weapons team starts work.

December 7
Iraq presents the UN with a 12,000-page dossier on its weapons of mass destruction, a day before the UN deadline.

December 18
Foreign Secretary Jack Straw says Britain believes Iraq is in "material breach" of the UN resolution, a view which is echoed by the US the next day.

December 19
Blix gives an initial briefing to the UN Security Council.

December 20
Blix urges the US and Britain to share their intelligence about Iraq's weapons so it can be checked.

December 23
Inspectors start interviewing Iraqi nuclear scientists.

January 9:
Blix says his team has not uncovered any "smoking guns" which prove Iraq's weapons programme.

January 16
A cache of empty chemical warheads which was not mentioned in Saddam's declaration is found in a bunker near the fortress of Uhaidar. UN inspectors also uncover 3,000 pages of material reportedly relating to the enrichment of uranium as part of a nuclear programme in the 1980s.

January 17
The White House calls the find "troubling and dangerous" but stops short of saying it is enough to justify war.

January 27
UN chief weapons inspector Blix makes his first substantive report to the Security Council on Iraq's weapons programme and its cooperation with inspectors. He said previously: "There has not been sufficient co-operation."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/campaigns/iraq/ffiraqwep.xml

Destinations by Roxanne

>David Kay, the former head of the coalition's hunt for Iraq's weapons
>of mass destruction, yesterday claimed that part of Saddam Hussein's
>secret weapons programme was hidden in Syria.

Maybe someone's dog ate them! It worked when you didn't do your homework. But to recap:
------------------------------------------------------
"Iraq has stockpiled biological and chemical weapons, and is rebuilding the facilities used to make more of those weapons. We have sources that tell us that Saddam Hussein recently authorized Iraqi field commanders to use chemical weapons -- the very weapons the dictator tells us he does not have." - GW Bush, 10/5/2002

"The Iraqi regime . . . possesses and produces chemical and biological weapons. It is seeking nuclear weapons. We know that the regime has produced thousands of tons of chemical agents, including mustard gas, sarin nerve gas, VX nerve gas." - GW Bush, 10/7/2002

"After eleven years during which we have tried containment, sanctions, inspections, even selected military action, the end result is that Saddam Hussein still has chemical and biological weapons and is increasing his capabilities to make more. And he is moving ever closer to developing a nuclear weapon." - GW Bush, 10/7/2002

"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised." -GW Bush, 3/17/2003

"We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories. You remember when Colin Powell stood up in front of the world, and he said, Iraq has got laboratories, mobile labs to build biological weapons. They're illegal. They're against the United Nations resolutions, and we've so far discovered two." - GW Bush, 5/29/2003

--------------------------------------------------------
Official: No WMD stockpiles in Iraq
Saddam still a threat, head of the Iraq Survey Group says

Wednesday, October 6, 2004

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Contradicting the main argument for a war that has cost more than 1,000 American lives, the top U.S. arms inspector reported Wednesday that he found no evidence that Iraq produced any weapons of mass destruction after 1991. He also concluded that Saddam Hussein's weapons capability weakened during a dozen years of U.N. sanctions before the U.S. invasion last year.
---------------------------------------------------------

Sad when a brutal dictator ends up being more honest than the president of the US.

..the top U.S. arms inspector reported Wednesday that he found no evidence that Iraq produced any weapons of mass destruction after 1991. He also concluded that Saddam Hussein's weapons capability weakened during a dozen years of U.N. sanctions before the U.S. invasion last year.

How does a capability weaken when it doesn't exist? The flaw in the thinking here is you assume there was no threat. What's worse is you assume everyone knew there was no threat. I'm glad you can afford to make that assumption. I'm also glad you aren't the one who's calling the shots. Awfully big risk to take with everyone's safety. Were there WMD's? I think there were, you say not. Could we afford to wait and find out? Who knows...but I'd much rather go and make sure of it instead of standing looking at buildings in rubble, or contaminated water supplies...the list goes on and on. the Prez has the responsibility to make sure we do everything possible to protect ourselves. I'm willing to bet you'd be the first to crucify W if we were attacked again and it could have been prevented.

Destinations by Roxanne

Left or Right politics aside.
If you don't have kids then Bill Clinton may not be so offensive, but he got his jimmy waxed in the oval office then lied to the public. If that crazy broad did not save that nasty-ass dress then I have no doubt that he would have left her swinging in the breeze.
I love the guy's audacity but I liked John Gotti's audacity too. not that I am comparing pussy to murder but flaunting your ability to piss on the authorities is attractive.
I was thrilled and glued to the TV on the night of his big apology but I was real uneasy about removing a President for any reason especially for a sex act.
Bill Clinton is one lucky SOB. He inherited a healing economy and was in office during a huge tech rally, and got out right before the crash. He criticizes Ken Starr, but he is so damn lucky that a more non-polar prosecutor did not get assigned the case. Ken Starr was a blessing to Bill Clinton.

---------

How does a capability weaken when it doesn't exist?

No one ever said he doesn't have the capability. I have the capability to produce a bomb our of fertilizer. That doesn't mean I am. And if the police were stopping by my house daily, my capability would be weakened.