keithbar

random rigger question

If a customer drops off a rig and he's not going to be able to pick it up for a couple of weeks do you date it the day you pack it ? or the day he picks it up ? Just curious.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

i would pack the rig the day before the customer comes back to pick it up. that way the customer does not loose those 2 weeks of repack time.
not sure what the rule is for packing it and signing it off when the customer collects it. but i can imagine that some people would not be happy with that :):):) both others would :P

keithbar

If a customer drops off a rig and he's not going to be able to pick it up for a couple of weeks do you date it the day you pack it ? or the day he picks it up ? Just curious.

Kind of depends. Are you asking me in person? Or do you want to ask my for a written online answer?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Chain of custody ..... It's all about chain of custody .... You can only post-date a repack if you have rigid chain of custody. Only if you can guarrantee that not fires, riots or mudslides will damage the rig before the customer picks it up.
The other option is to do the work immediately, but wait to sign the card. IOW wait until a couple days (before delivery) before signing the card.

When I receive a rig it goes into the queue; I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Always open to the client's needs, but I usually work on a FIFO basis. I'll let you know when it's ready.

If there's nothing else but this rig, I'll work it as soon as possible and get it out. If he needs it in two weeks, I'll get it done 10 days from now.

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

A "random rigger" question .... as opposed to the exact details you expect from the "specific rigger" down the street?
Hah!
Hah!

Sorry, folks, but your question reminds me of an old "running joke" at a (Pacific Skydivers) DZ where I worked years ago.
Every week the phone would ring and a customer would ask for "Specific Skydivers?" ....
Hah!
Hah!

I always assumed the packing date was supposed to be when the canopy was actually folded up and packed. And not when the pin or the seal put in place, which could be later.

Interesting to see others sometimes treat it all as a wee bit flexible. I've done a bit of that too -- I really packed it one day but I'll finish sealing and signing it the next day. Close enough. But I don't make all my pack jobs during the week all appear as being on Friday if that's the day people are picking them up.

I figure I'm doing a decent job for a customer if I pack their rig within the week before they plan to pick it up, or ideally within a few days. I'm neither screwing him on his 180 days by packing it a couple weeks early, nor do I feel obligated to wait to pack all Thurs night if people are picking up the next day.

If one has space for opened rigs, an early inspection is sometimes handy, or at least a paperwork check. One doesn't want to have a rig sitting around for a couple weeks untouched and then when packing just before pickup, discover that the dumbass let his AAD or battery time out, or be grounded for some bulletin or big repair job.

Getting back to the pack vs. date issue:
At one DZ I was at, it got a little silly for a couple years. Making use of plenty of temp pins, a whole pile of rigs could all be been closed & dated the day before the DZ opened for the season... with the actual packing having been conveniently spread over the previous month.
[edit:] While I don't think a packed parachute stored safely away really deteriorates much over time, this would allow December pack jobs to be dated in April if the DZ wanted it. That would really push the 'date it when you close it' idea too far, compared to what I assumed was the intent of the rules. But I could be wrong.

Hi Peter,

with the actual packing having been conveniently spread over the previous month.

I have never read any FAA document that addresses the time req'ment regarding inspection & repack. It is simply not mentioned in anything that I have read.

So, it is not req'd to complete the packing within any timeframe once you start. IMO the FAA hands all of this responsibility to the rigger; which I agree with.

Hey, sometimes you just have to go to the bathroom. :P

Jerry Baumchen

PS) 21 yrs ago I obtained my first building permit to remodel the house that I live in. The city req'd that I perform some 'work' every six months. 'Work' could be nothing more than pounding in one nail.

Date the day I inspect/repack/seal.
I will work with the (nice) customer to give him a later date if possible, but its still when I do the work.

One word of warning though... it is usually the rig that I sit on the shelf for weeks awaiting the "right" date to start work, that ends up needing repairs or parts I don't normally carry...

I've learned to pop it and give it a quick once-through and then put it in a storage container if I'm delaying the actual work for a later date.

Sucks to have a rig for weeks and then be late because of something you could have found earlier.

J
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...