rickjump1

Automobile black boxes.

It's not like insurance companies do anything really try to lower rates other ,,,,,, sometimes competition.

that damn competition - I'd be jaded too - those damn greedy insurance companies trying to keep and attract those good drivers.

it's almost like they think that good drivers don't cause accidents as much as bad drivers

we need regulation to ensure that bad drivers only pay the same as good drivers

we need to kill competition

Like some sort of government mandate for insurance, universal auto insurance for all!

Oh.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>I am more pessimistic than you. I don't think rates would be lowered any more

I think they will be lowered for some and raised for others.

Actuarial tables tell insurance companies what their risks are. 18 year old driver? You have a 2% chance of having to pay out over the next year. 34 year old driver? It's .4%. That's why 18 year olds pay more.

Of course, the insurance company doesn't advertise the 18 year old's rates, it advertises its lowest rate. And that's what people often look at when buying insurance. So that company has a strong incentive to advertise ONE very low price. Maybe it's their 34 year old price because they know they're not going to be paying out on that.

Now they have more data available. So maybe they will offer an even lower price for a 34 year old driving a Volvo with ABS and ASC in Vista, CA because such people almost never get into accidents, and when they do it's never their fault.

(Of course with more accurate data it's pretty much assured that the more risky drivers will see an increase in premiums as well.)

A few good drivers may benefit, but if insurance companies were allowed the full range of data (speed and location), we can expect to see many hikes for arbitrary reasons that are not borne out by actuarial data, but merely by the opportunity to do so. CA's long history of legislation, failed attempts by the industry, and litigation bear this out.

I never said nor suggested any such thing - you might want to read the thread again and try to grasp things in some form of context.

What I suggested was that insurance companies will use the data to THEIR advantage. I never commented on whether that was good or bad.

It will probably be good for driving statistics and accidents if they price people off the road.

Look what a bunch of pissed off moms did for drunk driving.....

A few good drivers may benefit, ....... we can expect to see many hikes for arbitrary reasons that are not borne out by actuarial data, but merely by the opportunity to do so.

And drivers that have price hikes for unfair reasons will go to another company and the first company will get a bad rep and go out of business

it would be balanced out by that damn competition thing

they all have a profit margin defined business plan - enough to do very well - but low enough to not lose all their customers

seems to me, that the bad drivers will get big increases, the good drivers will get significant decreases - but the bottom line to the companies will likely be a bit of a wash after a settling/adjustment period

I don't like it because eventually the GOVERNMENT will demand that data and use it to add taxes and track citizens. The private sector tends to self-stabilize, the government doesn't have that balance.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Look what a bunch of pissed off moms did for drunk driving.....

Yeah, dammit - it seems like a guy can't just slam a bottle or two of JD and race home on public streets without someone getting their panties in a wad.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

A few good drivers may benefit, ....... we can expect to see many hikes for arbitrary reasons that are not borne out by actuarial data, but merely by the opportunity to do so.

And drivers that have price hikes for unfair reasons will go to another company and the first company will get a bad rep and go out of business

it would be balanced out by that damn competition thing

again, past history shows this to be false.

I don't like it because eventually the GOVERNMENT will demand that data and use it to add taxes and track citizens. The private sector tends to self-stabilize, the government doesn't have that balance.

Actually, the studies I've seen involve using cellphones, tracking tower to tower, to do what you're implying the government wants to do.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm actually sorry I made that statement, but for different reasons. Back in Feb, I had a guy coming down a hill on a remote logging road slam on his bakes, cross the center line and slam into the car I was driving (wife's Honda Elememt 4x4). He and his passanger and I hiked out for help. Since the Montana State Police was not interested in coming to out to the site (county either), we sent in our statements to the both insurance companies and the State Police in Helena. The kid who totaled his car and mine changed his story in his statement. Even though I had pics showing him plainly on my side, his insurace company would not pay at first, but a month plus later they paid (they finally interviewed the pax riding in the car that hit me). So..., if both cars had the "dark" box onboard, maybe all the threats and worry could have been avoided, his insurance company would have settled early and paid for a rental car. end of story
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

There are still places without cell phone service in the US. Hit a deer at 3:00 am that disables your vehicle or have a winter accident and disappear completely out of sight, and you get into a survival situation.

All these gadgets were meant to make life easier and safer, but unfortunately, they can become tools by a govenment that wants to control our lives.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Yeah.... I think we gotta try to draw the line between control and making life better.

I hate that there are dangerous people out on the highways and we have to worry whether they'll endanger our loved ones or not but I still don't like the idea of a black box the insurance companies can access to see if you were going 2 or 3 MPH over the posted speed limit in order to deny you the service you paid for. I really hate technicalities like that.

I care too much for the idea of a government agency being able to track my car with the built in GPS but then again I'd never commit crimes and go on the run. For criminals that need to be caught and delt with on the other hand, I'd love for them to get caught not knowing they were being tracked with technology like that.

Survival situations... definitely. None of us want to hear about how someone broke down in the cold and couldn't get help in time.

...Don't Get Elimated!!