mnischalke

Hillary in 08

My turn to try out the future cam...

If I were one of the exalted advisors to the DNC and wanted to take the White House, I would say that only Jesus Christ himself would have the ability to garner enough support to oust a strong incumbent on his bid for reelection, especially during a war--more so if that president has maintained some of the the highest approval ratings in history.

Knowing that and the fact that his VP has no chance at a third term for the administration, even if the guy wanted it, I believe I would hold off all efforts at taking the White House until the following election. At that time, the old horse would be tired, and the public would be ready for change...

That change is Hillary.

So, do we just sit back and put up no contender for the race? Nah, we can't do that. We need someone to run against the strong horse, but, obviously, our horse CANNOT win, or else we can't get our girl the presidency for at least 8 years. Even then, after a (god forbid) two-term democratic presidency, the then-VP will have an automatic go at things.

That means we need someone who looks strong and will make a good show at the gate, but won't make it to the finish line. We need a piece of shit, who's full of shit--a delusional liar, maybe--who we can discredit when the time comes and then plead ignorance to the reasons for his downfall. Even though he's gonna fail, he won't make us look bad, collectively.

We'll run him to the gate, all bathed and brushed, but we'll make sure we've got a jockey on his back that we can control. When the time comes, we'll have him jerk the reigns and our horse will fall on his face.

Then, we'll go to work on 08.

Hillary in 08!

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I hope Hillary Clinton never runs for President.

She's smart as all get-out, but you need someone who can work and play well with others for President (that was Tip O'neill's biggest complaint about Carter as president, that he just didn't see why he should have to compromise when he knew he was right :)
She would be more divisive than GWB probably, and that's saying a lot.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I hope Hillary Clinton never runs for President.

She's smart as all get-out, but you need someone who can work and play well with others for President (that was Tip O'neill's biggest complaint about Carter as president, that he just didn't see why he should have to compromise when he knew he was right :)
She would be more divisive than GWB probably, and that's saying a lot.

Wendy W.

I knew there was good in you Wendy - I just KNEW it!:P

I'd like to see McCain/Juliani in 08 - let's keep it in the Party.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well, maybe it's my imagination, or I missed something, but her husband, a former democratic president, has been surprisingly quiet during this election.

Most former presidents are out banging the gongs and throwing confetti for their new boy when it's time to take back the White House.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Ya know, I had always hoped Jessie Ventura would run for president someday.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have it in him, because he's not really a politician.

Guess that's the irony of it all.

mike

Hillary is in the bid for 08

If JK wins - that pushes him (Sorry - Her) out for another 8 years because the DNC wouldn't put someone else up against their own incumbant.

The Clintons don't want Kerry to win.

They DO want to be in the contention for 08.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I knew there was good in you Wendy - I just KNEW it!

I'd like to see McCain/Juliani in 08 - let's keep it in the Party.

Well, while I would welcome that ticket on the Republican side in some ways (they are both capable and generally open-minded people, which is great), I think that Giuliani probably has a little too much baggage to be elected :S.

The best would be a ticket with people that people can disagree with, but still respect, on both sides. That's a pretty tall order these days, since you don't get to that level without smelling a lot of asses on the way.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

She's unelectable in a national election. This isn't going to change. Virtually no republicans and less than a overwhelming number of Democrats like her. Would she have become even a NY senator without the aid of cancer hitting her opponent?

She's nearly psychotic in her lust for power. That's why people don't like her. It has become quite clear, over time, through the example of her sham marriage to a philandering, lust-driven power-monger. You're right. She IS unelectable in a national election. Besides that, I just find her detestable.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I'd like to see McCain/Juliani in 08 - let's keep it in the Party.:P

There's been nothing to like about McCain since I found out that he is no friend of the Second Amendment, and he put forth that anti-FIRST Amendment atrocity that he called "campaign finance reform." And his commentary just after the Zell Miller RNC speech made him seem like a water-carrier for the Democrats more than anything else. He is the Zell Miller of the Republican party. You'd want him in as a Republican president?! No way.

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I'll second that.

Seriously tho, where are the people who would run for political office, yet wouldn't take anything away from me? Be it guns, speech, money--they all want to take something from me. I know those people are out there, but why are they not viable contenders?

mike

The stalking horse theory of the election cycle was discussed pretty well before Iowa. I didn't buy into it then and I don't buy into it now. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Hillary has no chance whatsoever whenever.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, maybe it won't be Hillary. I am sure she thinks it will, as does her husband. Why else would Willie have been talking about how hard Bush42's job has been and how well he's been doing it?

As for the overall stalking horse theory, why else would you go as far to the left as they did to get Kerry?

He's got some even bigger skeletons in his closet than what's coming out of the vet's associations, and I am betting before Nov. 2, we're gonna hear all about them.

mike

As for the overall stalking horse theory, why else would you go as far to the left as they did to get Kerry?

He appealed to a couple of small states early in the primaries. It had NOTHING to do with what the majority of people (including me) wanted. As some may recall, I wanted a military leader with a proven record of fixing international conflicts. Hell, I didn't even get the chance to cast a vote that mattered.

Now, does this mean that I'm going to vote for Kerry? Well, yes, because I -still- think he's a better choice than GWB, but that doesn't mean he's the one I really wanted. He's the one I'm settling for.
quade -

As some may recall, I wanted a military leader with a proven record of fixing international conflicts.

But Quade, you already have that, twice! Cheney and Powell.:P

mike

I'm glad you didn't include GWB in that line up. ;)

Powell I respect, but he's been played as a dupe.
Cheney was the Secretary of Defense under Bush 41, but that's not the same as working his way up through the ranks.

Seriously though, I had my on Clarke.
quade -

Ya know what, I don't think she'd be quite the disaster that some people, mostly on the far right, assume she'd be.

I just don't think she'd ever be given the chance to show what she'd be able to do. The family's history is far too controversial at this point and . . . I still think it's too soon for a woman to be elected president . . . the country just isn't ready yet. Add both those two together and it just isn't going to happen.
quade -

Well, maybe it won't be Hillary. I am sure she thinks it will, as does her husband. Why else would Willie have been talking about how hard Bush42's job has been and how well he's been doing it?

It certainly looks like she will run, but I question her odds of winning the nomination in an open year like 2008 will be. Her campaign may well follow the model of Dean. Strong initially when the idealogy is peaking, but fading in the actual contests.

Dean was the left. Kerry was the well known, more moderate choice. Of course, it was all irrelevent by the time March and the election arrived in California.

Dean was the left. Kerry was the well known, more moderate choice. Of course, it was all irrelevent by the time March and the election arrived in California.

Kerry is moderate??

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt