miked10270

Gun QUestion for the Yanks...

OK, maybe I was a little quick to call it. Everyone deserves a wanring and en explanation once, right?

OK, jupija, there have been many threads on BFC, and there are several still on the first page about F 911. Out of respect for fellow posters, we try not to bring arguments about unrelated topics into other threads (attempts to avoid the unithread theory).

Your post sounded very much like a TROLL, and that's not what you want to be. Perhaps lurking (reading without posting) would be a good idea for you in the Community Forums.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Uh, so Dave? I guess this means don't disassemble one of my pistols and put it in my checked bag for some target shooting on the Firth of Fife, then?

(How's that? Been reading up!)

Peaceful Jefferey? I fart in your general direction!

(Not a personal attack, as there could be a great deal of collateral damage when I fart in a general direction. I suppose it would be a personal attack if I farted in his specific direction, but I didn't)

OK kid, am I missing something? You're a UK resident, so I'm sure you know Scotland has many, many firths.

The principal firths are the Firth of Lorne, the Firth of Clyde, and Solway Firth. The major indentations on the eastern coast are Dornoch Firth, Moray Firth, the Firth of Tay, and the Firth of Forth

So what's the deal? Is there a connection between the Firth of Forth and pulling a trigger?

ps - I was there in January, it wasn't so bad. Windy, but not all that cold. Of course, the bales warmed me, as did laughing at this one Australian tourist. We were standing in Edinburgh Castle, looking North. Suddenly he bursts out with "I can see the Eiffel Tower!!" I look right, then notice that he, too, is looking north. A guide tried explaining to him that it was the firth, not the channel, and that was a radio tower, not The Tower. He left Scotland convinced you can see Paris from Edinburgh. :S :D:D:D
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

ps - I was there in January, it wasn't so bad. Windy, but not all that cold.

If you wear 7 layers of cloths like an onion, it is fairly OK. If you try to be a true Scotchman (Just a kilt with no underwear), you will realize that Scottish guys have no terminal nerves in their skin. :P

This is personal experience (i lived in Edimburgh for over a year) but wearing a kilt in January in windy edimburgh, not only transformed me in a short of Marilyn Monroe, but it turned my balls into peanuts. :P

Oh... Sunny Sunny Madrid, i am starting to enjoy the 40º C in the shadow.

Ech, its okay Deuce, I will provide translation as well as guiding services.B|

But no, guns on planes, assembled or otherwise, are probably a bad idea, besides, the chosen weapon in Scotland is a broken bottle, aka a Dundee dagger.
Very effective, readily available, and difficult to trace.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

LMAO

If you have a problem with someone in Scotland, first you discuss it while drinking a pint, if you don´t come to an agreement you already have the weapon in your hand :P

You actually have the weapon in your hand, plus a means to temporarily blind your foe whilst you prepare said weapon. Thus the process is "slosh, smash, stab". Of course, this only applies to Englishmen in Scottish pubs - Scotsmen would never waste good alcohol.

The Scots version is "swig, smash, stab"

EDIT: and a reply to Kennedy, I do know there are many firths, but there is no firth of fife - I was just correcting Deuce (in a nit-picking way). And he suggested target practise from it, that's all. Sorry if I confused you. And before anyone misreads that, it wasn't meant as an insult!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

"Stranraer sgian dubh"
cau dy ffwcin ceg,uffar gwirion! owain glyndwr

OK, I'm guessing this is phoenetic Scottish for:

"Stranger! He's going to do you! Cause if the the fucker can get up from there, he's gonna run! I want to take Glen to war!"

I don't know who Glen is, but I'm pretty good with a broken bottle from my bartending days.

Oh, my little girls are gonna love this!

"Stranraer sgian dubh"
cau dy ffwcin ceg,uffar gwirion! owain glyndwr

OK, I'm guessing this is phoenetic Scottish for:

"Stranger! He's going to do you! Cause if the the fucker can get up from there, he's gonna run! I want to take Glen to war!"

Nah, It's quite straight forward.

Stranraer is a place: stranraer.org

Sgian Dubh is a little knife worn tucked into the top of your sock in traditional formal Scots dress.

A selection here: Sgian Dubh

--
Kerr

ONly two places in the world that drive on the left????? Try UK, Japan, Australia, NEw Zealand, South AFrica, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, Malawi, Kenya, Tanzania.......just to name a few. Check your facts first!!!

Okay okay! I admit, I was wrong. I guess I was thinking mostly of "among european countries." :S

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

OK kid, am I missing something? You're a UK resident, so I'm sure you know Scotland has many, many firths.

The principal firths are the Firth of Lorne, the Firth of Clyde, and Solway Firth. The major indentations on the eastern coast are Dornoch Firth, Moray Firth, the Firth of Tay, and the Firth of Forth

So what's the deal?

:D:D:D

Isn't there a Cromarty Firth too, like an inlet from the Moray?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"Isn't there a Cromarty Firth too, like an inlet from the Moray?"
Yes indeed John, there are three types of Firth, best to consider a Firth as similar to a Fjord, or a large sea bay.
There are stand alone Firths, like the Firth of Tay, Clyde and Forth.
There are Firths that feed larger Firths like the Cromarty Firth which flows in the Moray Firth.
Finally there is the example of the Pentland Firth, which is actually a strait between the Orkney Islands and mainland Caithness.
Further clouding the waters (:$ bad pun) is the fact that not all Firths are named after the primary rivers that feed them, EG the Pentland Firth, there is no Pentland River, and the Pentland hills are nowhere near. The term Firth can precede its parent name, or come after, and there's no rhyme or reason apparently:S.

Things get really fun when we start looking at Gaelic place names and pronunciation in next weeks class.
Required reading for the next lesson in 'Scottish Geography 101' includes research on..
Milngavie (Mullguy)
Strachan (Straan)
Finzean (Fingin)
and my favourite Aberchirder (pronounced Abbaherder, but known to the locals as 'Fogey').
:S:D
We will also be examining legacy peculiarities such as Ben More, Ben Mor, Ben Mhor, and Beinn Mhor, which are pronounced the same but are spelled differently, and are in fact different mountains.:D
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson