Gawain

US Navy "Loses" Submarine -- Found by Norwegian

Story Here. ... Ahem, why couldn't they do some sonar-pings or something? Sounds like a pretty neat tool, has the mini-sub been in service long?

Lost U.S. Mini-Sub Found on Norwegian Beach

Tuesday, May 11, 2004
Associated Press

OSLO, Norway — A missing unmanned submarine that eluded the U.S. Navy for a week was found Tuesday by a man strolling along a beach in western Norway (search).

The 3.5 meter (11-foot) mini-sub, or Battlespace Preparation Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (search), disappeared April 29 during tests off the port of Kristiansand in southern Norway.

"On Monday, the crew of its mother ship, the minesweeper USS Swift (search), said that they considered it lost for good," said Cmdr. Thom Knustad, a spokesman for the Norwegian joint command.

The submarine is not remote controlled, but preprogramed before its launch to search for mines and, if necessary, destroy them.

However, it never surfaced, leading the Swift to break off its participation in a military exercise and spend a week searching for it.

The mini-sub turned up about 200 kilometers (125 miles) to the north.

A man going for walk along the coast near Stavanger, on Norway's west coast, spotted a small, torpedo-like object marked "Department of Navy" grounded just off the beach and called the police.

"A police officer went to the scene, found the submarine and pulled it into land," Arvid Jensen, of the Stavanger police, told Norwegian news agency NTB.

Norwegians had been asked to be on the lookout for the mini-sub, since the U.S. Navy said it could surface anywhere.

Knustad said by telephone that a small Norwegian Navy boat was immediately dispatched to the scene to recover the submarine so it could be returned to the Americans.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"A police officer went to the scene, found the submarine and pulled it into land,"

So you find this big cylindrical motorised thing washed up on a beach with "NAVY" stamped on it and you start pulling it round? I'd be like "keep the fuck away from me with that thing - it could be a torpedo!"

I'm pretty sure they did, but the way sonar really works (due to sound travel in water) it could get away from the mine hunting sonars.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

And to think that one suggestion following 9/11 was to have autonomous airliners that are pre-programmed, instead of having pilots.

Thank you, but I like having a live dude on board.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Thank you, but I like having a live dude on board.

That will change. You're willing now to fly in an airliner that cannot be controlled without a computer running 100% of the time; does it really make a difference if the person controlling it is on the ground or in the air? Right now it does, but in the future, the odds of the system failing will be less than the odds that both pilots suffer heart attacks at the same time.

We ride in elevators without operators, we ride in trains without operators. Planes will be next I think. Cars will come last due to the unpredictibility of the environment (witness the results of the DARPA autonomous race in the desert.)

I'll admit I'd want to know something about the pedigree of the software that was running that airplane, and I wouldn't be on the first generation, either.

With that said, I'd hop on a computer-controlled airplane in a heartbeat once I was pretty sure of that stuff. The Russian shuttle was landed software-controlled in a snowstorm about 3 yards off the mark.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Planes will be next I think.

I could be wrong, but aren't planes already landing under computer control part of the time anyway (large airliners in poor weather)?
Make light!

Planes will be next I think.

I could be wrong, but aren't planes already landing under computer control part of the time anyway (large airliners in poor weather)?

Have been for decades. Pioneered at London Heathrow, for obvious reasons (F-O-G).

But they still have a dude on board whose interest in living matches mine.

> could be wrong, but aren't planes already landing under computer
> control part of the time anyway (large airliners in poor weather)?

Yep. Qualcomm has a business jet that doesn't need to be touched from wheels-up to wheels-down. It's capable of autoland although we don't maintain the crew currency to be legal to do that.

> could be wrong, but aren't planes already landing under computer
> control part of the time anyway (large airliners in poor weather)?

Yep. Qualcomm has a business jet that doesn't need to be touched from wheels-up to wheels-down. It's capable of autoland although we don't maintain the crew currency to be legal to do that.

Interesting that the crew needs special currency to be redundant. Seems like confirmation of my feelings.

>Interesting that the crew needs special currency to be redundant.
>Seems like confirmation of my feelings.

As I recall, you need special currency to fly IFR, no?

Yes, but I have to fly the plane when I'm IFR. Your plane apparently flies itself.

...so the guy sees that washed up on a beach and starts dragging it round? There's a new one born every day. :S

It was on the news a lot with pictures. I think most Norwegians would have recognised it for what it was.

...so the guy sees that washed up on a beach and starts dragging it round? There's a new one born every day. :S

It was on the news a lot with pictures. I think most Norwegians would have recognised it for what it was.

If you click a link above, you'll see pictures of what looks to me like a very large torpedo. :S
Make light!