JohnRich

Is Actor Denzel Washington Racist?

Denzel Washington stars in the new movie "Man on Fire", as a private security guard for a cute little girl, who then goes on the warpath against her kidnappers in Mexico.

Entertainment news stories indicate that a steamy love scene between the black Denzel Washington, and the girl's mother, who is white, was cut from the movie at the request of Washington. Likewise, a love scene between Washington and white Julia Roberts in "The Pelican Brief" was also cut, as well as a love scene with white Mimi Rogers in "The Mighty Quinn".

News quote: "'Denzel Washington is concerned about the way audiences react to him in an interracial romance,' says a source, who adds that the actor wants to avoid upsetting his female African-American fans."

News Story

So my question is, why would black females disapprove of Denzel's movie love scenes with a white woman?

And another question: If a white male actor requested that love scenes with black females be removed from his movies, citing concerns over how his fans would react, would he be branded "racist"?

So my question is, why would black females disapprove of Denzel's movie love scenes with a white woman?

That’s just speculation.

And another question: If a white male actor requested that love scenes with black females be removed from his movies, citing concerns over how his fans would react, would he be branded "racist"?

Not necessarily. Without further evidence, that would just be spreading rumors.

It probably has something to do with the disproportionate number of black athletes and entertainers who, once they have "made it", find themselves in the company of a white woman (as opposed to giving the "opportunity" to a black woman). The equation seems decidedly one sided. Not passing judgement or making a comment (as a matter of fact; I don't think it's anybody's business who someone chooses to dat); just seem to be the way it is. Status symbol (though I really don't get that)? Novelty? Who knows?

That is an interesting question.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

Any person that disaproves of interracial relationships is racist.

However nothing here proves that Denzel is opposed to it, he did actually film the scenes right? Could be that he's just way too sensitive about his public image and doesn't want turn away his adoring fans.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I dunno. The dude seems to do okay with actually acting the scenes. He just wants them cut.

Personally, it's nice to see when movies don't have love scenes. A few Good Men was much better without Tom and Demi hooking up onscreen.

I don't have a problem with it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I don't think he's racist based on the news quote. People can consider race in their affairs (personal or professional) without being racist IMO.

"Man on Fire" really didn't need a love scene, and the movie was still 2 1/2 hours long, and still an outstanding movie.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Personally, it's nice to see when movies don't have love scenes. A few Good Men was much better without Tom and Demi hooking up onscreen.

I think the Pelican Brief was the same way. the un-resolved tension made for a better film.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

I think the Pelican Brief was the same way. the un-resolved tension made for a better film.

I agree...the scene was unnecessary...But in terms of Denzel Washingtom being a racist...I really don't know...:|...

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

However nothing here proves that Denzel is opposed to it, he did actually film the scenes right? Could be that he's just way too sensitive about his public image and doesn't want turn away his adoring fans.

In that case, he's catering to the racism he suspects of his black female fans, who I guess he presumes would fume over the loss of a handsome rich talented black man to some "white bitch."

edited to add: By the way, I saw the movie on Saturday and really enjoyed it. A love scene between Denzel and the women in question would have been superfluous, gratuitous, and stupid. The movie didn't need it, and it would have been ridiculous pandering. I'm glad Denzel had it cut.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Okay, everyone, please remember that this story came from the news media and it's ABOUT show biz; in other words, consume all that you read with a hefty dose of sodium chloride.

I cannot stand Denzel Washington, not because he doesn't have talent, but because he's always so ultra PC.

This story reminds me of a quote from Rosalind Cash, who was the main female character in the 1971 Charlton Heston SF picture, "The Omega Man".

Cash had a love scene with Heston in the pic, and was quoted in Heston's autobiography ("In the Arena") as saying "It's no easy thing to screw Moses." :D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Think your post answered the question.

"'Denzel Washington is concerned about the way audiences react to him in an interracial romance,'

Just because he's aware of how racism may affect his career and takes steps to limit that, doesn't make him a racist.

"Top Gun" would have been a lot better without the Tom and Kelly blue light love scene. Even my wife thought that was just a waste of time.

Wake me up when the shootin' starts, honey.

So that would make the black women who object to the scenes in test screenings, racists...

However nothing here proves that Denzel is opposed to it, he did actually film the scenes right?

I noticed that too. He keeps starring in movies where he has love scenes with white women, and then gets the scenes removed before the movie goes public.

So if this was a matter of principle, he should just refuse to do the scenes right up front, and tell the directors that when they hire him for the job.

But instead, he goes ahead and does the scenes, and then campaigns against them later. That's goofy!

"Man on Fire" really didn't need a love scene, and the movie was still 2 1/2 hours long, and still an outstanding movie.

I kept feeling like something like that was going to happen, and was surprised it didn't. Denzel became more of a father to the little girl than her real father. And the mom seemed to appreciate and respect that. So an affair would have fit in to the plot fairly well.

Yeah, it was a pretty good movie.

The only part that was weird was the idea that a black American could go around Mexico City killing all kinds of people in the open, and then manage to blend in and hide without being noticed or discovered.

And they never told us what happened to the newspaperwoman whose life was threatened if she published the photo of the head kidnapper, and she published it anyway...

I noticed that too. He keeps starring in movies where he has love scenes with white women, and then gets the scenes removed before the movie goes public.........
But instead, he goes ahead and does the scenes, and then campaigns against them later. That's goofy!

Are you nuts? Have you seen those women:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

He cant be racist. Only white people can be racist and only minorities can be discriminated against.

I can only surmise that this post was intended to be a joke, and a poor one at that. The alternative is that poster displays ignorance that is simply too scary to contemplate!