JohnRich

Order a Pizza, Get Arrested

From the news:

A new program is being tried in Missouri to track down scofflaws who owe outstanding court fines.

When you order a pizza, your name, address and phone number is recorded by the pizza company. That information goes into company databases, which are then sold to others. Then, along comes an enterprising company, offering to the government to track down people who owe money to the court system. The company purchases the pizza database, and matches that information against the government list of people who owe court fines. The company gets to keep 20% of all money collected from the outstanding court fines.

Full Story

Order a pizza - Go to jail!

When you order a pizza, your name, address and phone number is recorded by the pizza company. That information goes into company databases, which are then sold to others

This I have a problem with.

Then, along comes an enterprising company, offering to the government to track down people who owe money to the court system. The company purchases the pizza database, and matches that information against the government list of people who owe court fines. The company gets to keep 20% of all money collected from the outstanding court fines.

This not so much really.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Pepperonies and cuffs please...

First of all, that was particularly funny...:D...However this is not...

"The first time your baby sitter orders pizza, that pizza delivery company has your phone number, address and name, and they sell it," he added. "They don't have to tell you about it, either."

WTF!?!?! I'm not even informed of the fact that my information is being sold...I know that credit card companies are required to mention that your information can be used (and usually is)...BUT I'm ordering a pizza for crying out loud...>:(

~R+R:S
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

i can't figure out whats so horrible about this. all sorts of businesses sell your information to others. and if you owe the courts money, its probably because you did something wrong... so its bad to get the wrongdoers to pay their fine?

only thing i don't like is the "bounty" paid to the company

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have an idea. Whenever you order a pizza, use a fake name. And if they tell you over the phone, "Um, your name doesn't match our listing for your phone number," say, "What are you, the fucking secret police? Who gives a shit what your database says?! I'm not signing up for a fucking pizza subscription!" Then tell them to go fuck themselves."

Our success in fighting this intrusion is dependent on people not being willing to sell out their rights and privacy for the cost of a fucking pizza.

-

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

i can't figure out whats so horrible about this. all sorts of businesses sell your information to others. and if you owe the courts money, its probably because you did something wrong... so its bad to get the wrongdoers to pay their fine?

only thing i don't like is the "bounty" paid to the company

Well DUH, the ONLY REASON a company would do it would be to get paid for doing it, somehow. Where else would the money come from but the end user of the information, i.e. the government?!

You ask what's so horrible about this since all sorts of companies buy your name on lists all the time. THAT'S what's wrong! I am a sovereign individual. My identity and likeness, as a non public official, are not the property of others from which to make a profit. When I decide to purchase something, THAT PURCHASE is the only contract I enter into with the seller. I do not agree to give them permission to do ANYTHING but SELL ME THE PRODUCT. Not sell my name. Not go inform on me to others. Why you DON'T have a problem with this being S.O.P. is beyond me.
-
-Jeffrey

WTF!?!?! I'm not even informed of the fact that my information is being sold...I know that credit card companies are required to mention that your information can be used (and usually is)...BUT I'm ordering a pizza for crying out loud...>:(

Do you use the "savings card" at your local supermarket? You know what kind of datamining goes on with that...it would make your head spin.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

And remember. USPA sells your info too. That one REALLY pissed me off. Common sense tells you that supermarkets do but USPA?>:(
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

From the news:

A new program is being tried in Missouri to track down scofflaws who owe outstanding court fines.

Missouri, the state that gave you John Ashcroft.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

if you broke the law....i suggest you go get the pizza yourself and pay cash. or better yet, make your own....you can call it "the outloaw." you know, i am becoming very disappointed in skydivers...

Our success in fighting this intrusion is dependent on people not being willing to sell out their rights and privacy for the cost of a fucking pizza.

Most companies are required to provide their customers with a privacy policy detailing what will be done with your personal information. Does this apply to food delivery companies? Is there potential for a legal battle here?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

And remember. USPA sells your info too. That one REALLY pissed me off.

They don't if you tell them not to. When I found out that the USPA was selling my information I called and asked them to stop it. There's also a checkbox on your renewal form that will stop them from selling your personal information, use it.

-
Jim

They don't if you tell them not to. When I found out that the USPA was selling my information I called and asked them to stop it. There's also a checkbox on your renewal form that will stop them from selling your personal information, use it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My bad. Just put on my glasses and looked at the form. Smallest print on the page. IMAGINE THAT>:(
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I have an idea. Whenever you order a pizza, use a fake name. And if they tell you over the phone, "Um, your name doesn't match our listing for your phone number," say, "What are you, the fucking secret police? Who gives a shit what your database says?! I'm not signing up for a fucking pizza subscription!" Then tell them to go fuck themselves."

-

-

That is a good way to get some "special" sauce on your pizza.;)

I have an idea. Whenever you order a pizza, use a fake name.

I never give my full name when ordering a pizza, simply my first, Jim. That hasn't been a problem, yet.

-
Jim

Interestingly enough, this came up today when I was buying a CAR BATTERY.

The question was :"Phone number?" I said "For what?" "The warranty". I said "Doesn't really matter to me, I am selling the car and it is non-transferable anyways". "Well, we need it anyways".

I took my business somewhere else. Just because it irritated me (I could really care less who knows I bought a car battery).

I think the reality of it is, if you use an electronic media for of ordering, inquiry, or payment, the information IS sitting in a database somewhere. End of story. If you want to maintain the privacy of your buying and other habits, pay anonymously in cash. It's about your only option.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

Interestingly enough, this came up today when I was buying a CAR BATTERY. The question was :"Phone number?" I said "For what?" "The warranty". I said "Doesn't really matter to me, I am selling the car and it is non-transferable anyways". "Well, we need it anyways".
I took my business somewhere else. Just because it irritated me (I could really care less who knows I bought a car battery).

Good job. Alternatively, you could have just refused the info, and then stated that you would like them to sell you the battery, with the warranty, but without providing personal info like a phone number. Then leave it up to them whether or not they want your money.

I have refused Radio Shack's attempts for years, to get my name and address. It's annoying to me that they want me to give them all that, when all I'm doing is buying a $2.00 watch battery.

"Just say 'No'"!

Do you use the "savings card" at your local supermarket? You know what kind of datamining goes on with that...it would make your head spin.

It's fun to trade those with friends!

Truth be, they can do the same if you use a credit card or an ATM to pay. I'm not aware of a legal concern that would prevent it from being done.

That is a good way to get some "special" sauce on your pizza.;)

I thought that implicit in telling them to go fuck themselves was the idea that I was telling them to keep their pizza and maybe shove it up their asses...
-
-Jeffrey

Interestingly enough, this came up today when I was buying a CAR BATTERY. The question was :"Phone number?" I said "For what?" "The warranty". I said "Doesn't really matter to me, I am selling the car and it is non-transferable anyways". "Well, we need it anyways".

Good job. Alternatively, you could have just refused the info, and then stated that you would like them to sell you the battery, with the warranty, but without providing personal info like a phone number. Then leave it up to them whether or not they want your money.

I have refused Radio Shack's attempts for years, to get my name and address. It's annoying to me that they want me to give them all that, when all I'm doing is buying a $2.00 watch battery.

"Just say 'No'"!

When I went to Circuit City and bought a computer, I was standing by the salesman's terminal when he entered my phone number. Apparently they have some sort of software or connection that traces the name and address of the person who has that number.

Ironically, when he typed in my phone number, I saw the name and address of the last guy who had that number appear on the screen! And I've had my telephone line for more than four years! I recognized the name as the name left on my answering machine when people call my number thinking this dood still has it.

When Radio Shack asks for your phone number, chances are they also will be able to link to your home address, and then you'd see you would start to get all kinds of direct mail shit, and probably even satellite dish sales robots calling you as well.

I don't mind when a company like Sports Authority asks for a zip code. They're tracking local demographics, I imagine, to know which areas need or don't need another store. But phone numbers? I know what they're doing with that. There's nothing to sell about a zip code -- at least, nothing that leads back to me. I simply tell them that my phone number is unlisted (even though it's not true.) Some people know that people have to pay to have an unlisted number, so that would be why I'd insist on it staying unknown. "Hey, I paid to keep my number unlisted -- why would I give it to you? Either sell me the shit without my phone number, or I walk." That's how it has to go. Most times they either say okay and key past the phone number screen, or if the computer won't let them, they get confusticated and say, "bbbut I have to put in something" and I just give a random series of numbers, or maybe 555-5555.

Since when did the contract to purchase an item begin to include a contract to let them know all kinds of information about the purchaser? At this point, we as consumers have to fight just to be able to buy something and not invite a lot of pestering and marketing to follow.
-
-Jeffrey

When you order a pizza, your name, address and phone number is recorded by the pizza company

Hmm, I think we have now proven that Chinese food really is better for you.

I hope they Never Integrate this with My Universities Parking control Officers. I think I'm on the most wanted list for deliquent (*ahem*unPaid*) parking citations. I'm the good guy in this case, they are a bunch of crazies trying to make up for our crappy budget...:D
=========Shaun ==========