Skyrad

Psycotic Terrorist suspect released in UK

Rule of law..... In the U.K (we tend towards.... )Innocent 'till proven Guilty .... so he would currently have the status of a SUSPECT.

But I realise that some countries behave differently -e.g Guantano Bay)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I think its unacceptable that he's served two years in prison without conviction. If he's guilty then fine but taking away two years of someones freedom (and not giving them a release date) without trial is not acceptable in a democracy that has at the heart of its legal system the belife that one is innocent until proven guilty.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Rule of law..... In the U.K (we tend towards.... )Innocent 'till proven Guilty .... so he would currently have the status of a SUSPECT.

But I realise that some countries behave differently -e.g Guantano Bay)

Is that why Tony Blair is fighting to do away with any right you have against self incrimination (what we in the U.S. would call our "5th amendment right to remain silent")?

Oh, and hasn't the right to a trial by jury been almost done away with over there?

I don't understand why a suspect has to be released on bail just because he has not been tried and convicted yet. Would it be the first time that a criminal suspect was considered so dangerous that he was denied bail? They can do that over there like they can do it here, can't they?!
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

The Express is a tabloid that would tend to sensationalise the news (the link now points to a different story). There were 2 cases decided by the appeals commission last week - where the home office decision to hold these 2 people was overturned.

In the first case M the home office got it wrong - in the case of G - they got it right but the laws wrongly protected him it seems. Although I would imagine once somebody has been arrested for terrorism and becomes known to the authorities he is pretty effectively neutralised as he is probably monitored etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3651743.stm
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

It was an artcile about the release ofa man held on terror suspicions, and subsequently released due to the 'damage' it was causing him.
Further stuff on this here..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3655073.stm
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

<
Oh, and hasn't the right to a trial by jury been almost done away with over there? >>

You're correct, He is trying all that ... but then he's an arse! and just because he's the PM does NOT make him right ( by a long shot!) - IMHO.

Locking folk up for years and years without a trial lowers our leaders to level of Hitler and Stalin. If you've got the evidence then have the guts to use it in a court of law, otherwise let him go.

If you were to imprison everyone who associated with criminals, most of our members of governement would be in the clink! - Afterall hasn't GWB been knocking around with the Bin Ladens?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome