Zennie

Skydiving Game Idea

I've been trying to cook up games to play that will make learning swooping/RW skills fun. My first idea was Sky Tag. Then I got to thinking, that certain things -- like the rig -- would have to be off limits to taps. The other problem is that everyone would just track away from the "it" person. Also, it'd be really hard to score.
That made me think of a new game where the swooping/RW component would remain intact, people wouldn't be just grabbing at anything, and, most important, everyone would have incentive to stay "in the fray" so to speak.
I'm calling it Dogfight, but it's basically a variation of flag football. Each person would have a 2ft streamer attached to themselves (ankle?) via a small snap or velcro. The object would be to snatch as many other people's streamers as you can.
The great thing about this is that there is an actual objective scoring element so you can have "winners". Plus, you can have several variations on the game. You could have a variation that scores just based on how many flags you have when you land. Each flag scores a point. You could have multiple rounds and the person with the most points wins. You could have a Last Man Standing version where the last person still with a streamer wins. You could have teams.
On the safety front, there would have to be a hard cutoff altitude where you could no longer grab for streamers. You would be penalized X points for grabbing past the cutoff. You'd prolly also need to require full face helmets.
Whaddaya think? Good idea? Bad idea? Too dangerous?
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I just heard about this other game, ppl get together and try to make cool looking formations when there are 3 or more people, sometimes they'll even try "turning points" to see if they can make more then one in one skydive. ;)
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

The only thing with skyball is that if someone doesn't catch the ball before pull time... well... it's just bad.
That was the other thing about the "flag" angle that I liked. Worst case if you drop a flag, they're just streamers. Nobody gets bonked.
You could also play the game one-on-one. First one to get the flag snatched loses. I'll bet better players would do a lot of jockeying for position and then bust out a move.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Yeah, that was kinda the only drawback I saw. Then again, you'd only want the experienced skydivers playing the "multiplayer" version. Beginners could probably play the one-on-one version safely.
Maybe if it catches on skydiving can make it back into the X-Games. ;)
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I think the only way that skydiving will get back into the X-Games is if rollerblading, skateboarding or a BMX bike is involved...damn bastards are worried about advertising dollars instead of staying true to being "extreme." Remember, it's truely not an extreme sport unless you can die of massive internal injury. ;)
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Yeah, that was kinda the only drawback I saw. Then again, you'd only want the experienced skydivers playing the "multiplayer" version. Beginners could probably play the one-on-one version safely.

My only question is where would the streamers end up at pull time? Not sure hanging on to a streamer with one hand and pulling with the other is a good idea for someone just off student status. Actually, not sure that hanging on to a streamer at pull time would be a good idea for any jumper; just thinking of the possibility of entanglements.
How about sky paintball? Course we'd hafta come up with paintball stuff that would easily wipe off our gear/jumpsuits... but how much fun would it be to chase your buddies in freefall with a paintball gun? ;)
pull and flare,
lisa

How 'bout a pouch or pocket?
Obviously there are a lot of safety issues to consider: the biggest one being a bunch of divers swooping around. That's why I threw it out for discussion. So please don't flame me too much. :)------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I saw this episode of Skybound about skydiving, and they showed a couple of 'games' played in the air.
Turning points (RW) was already concidered a game, but they also showed a group of 6 people doing a small race.
Two guys held a streamer, and they just stayed in position..about 20 to 25 ft away from each other.
The other 4 skydivers then raced around the streamers like a racingcource...who ever did the most 'laps' won the game....
And ofcource there is always the odd 'low pull' game.
Winning that would cost you a repack though (if you're 'lucky' ;)
No crazy games for me though...my next game wil be learning backloops...that's more then enough fun for me ;)
Cya
Jarno

lazerq3 wrote:
I saw on REAL TV these two guys that would jump out w/ a bungee cord and one guy would put his chute
while the other guykept falling and did a bungy off the other!!

Ya, did you see when the bungee broke and hit the "faller" and knocked him silly? He managed to get his main out and when the camera flyer seen it happen he spiraled down to see if he was alright. He told the camera guy he was gonna need some help, so he docked on the guy and guided him in for landing. Pretty amazing. He managed to stay "awake" until he could get a canopy out and once he knew he would be OK when the camera dude arrived, he let himself go unconscious.
Craig

Yup that was the one I saw. The funny part was when they landed. the camera flier said "hey can you guys give him a hand" and they all(spectators) started clapping and cherring and then he said "noooo... he needs help!! I think they said he broke his back but he was going to be all right

a group of 6 people doing a small race.
Two guys held a streamer, and they just stayed in position..about 20 to 25 ft away from each other.
The other 4 skydivers then raced around the streamers like a racingcource...who ever did the most 'laps' won the game.

A Day at the Races!! That is such a kick in the ass!!! We did it a couple of times at my old dz.
A couple of pointers to make it go smoother and safer if you decide to try - choose the right people to be the "pylons" (the ones with the streamers); you want them to be able to fall reasonably fast straight down. Wear helmets, full face if possible. Dirt dive the break off. Dirt dive an "out" - ie if someone needs to leave the race where should they go? Bring along a camera or two. And you might want to do the first one as a practice; hopefully that way no one will take someone else out in their rush to "win".
Hoop dives are cool too. Take up a slightly weighted hula hoop, have two people hold it, then everyone else swoops through the hoop.
pull and flare,
lisa

The funny part was when they landed. the camera flier said "hey can you guys give him a hand" and they all(spectators) started clapping and cherring and then he said "noooo... he needs help!!

Ha Ha Ha! The incident itself isn't very funny but the spectators clapping.....ha ha ha. Too sweet.
Much love and blue skies!
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/