AggieDave

Skydiving Accident

I just watched video of the crash on an NBC server (I work in a tv news room). The canopy pilot didn't look confident during his approach, and he seemed to be using way too much toggle input. He did 2 low turns, and crashed into the woman during a turn. Nothing funny about this at all...
Frank

by definition, you can only do 1 low turn per jump

Ok, then he did one "not too high" turn before a low turn...
I would check the web pages of the NBC affiliate in the area
to find streaming video of this... I'll take a look and see if I can it anywhere.

You can find a short clip of the accident on this page:

Thanks for hunting that down. I couldn't find it anywhere.
As funny as this may seem, this jumper is in for some real trouble. By the looks of it he was in way over his head with the demo jump, and the lady he collided with has serious head trauma to boot!
Craig

As funny as this may seem, this jumper is in for some real trouble. By the looks of it he was in way over his head with the demo jump, and the lady he collided with has serious head trauma to boot!

Yeah, I agree he was in over his head. Some people here have found this "amusing" or "funny", but quite frankly, I don't think a bystander being seriously injured in a skydiving accident is the least bit funny. I wonder how her family is feeling today... I bet the jumper isn't too proud of his actions, either. It reminds us that jumping in high winds is not safe, particularly if your jump is a demo... :(
Frank

The way I see it is it's bad enough to collide with another jumper, or a spectator for that matter. Demo jumps are set up to be an example of our sport. What kind of example has this set for those who have been witness to it? Jumpers are always saying they don't want the government to step in any further into skydiving, but in my opinion this is the kind stuff that threatens with more regulation, bad press, and lawsuits.
Craig

I thought she only had bruising and swelling to her face? But then, I only read the first article that was on the 'no comment' thread...didn't realize she'd been hurt that badly. Even the most experienced people make mistakes too. If I have an accident and hurt someone while in my car, I would feel bad enough without being thrashed by others for my mistake. Like when I rolled my vehicle while passing another one on a slick road...absolutely stupid move on my part I see in hindsight assuming the roads were just wet and getting in a hurry. Thank heavens I didn't take out the other car in the process, but if I had, I certainly would've known exactly what a dumba** I was without someone from the outside who wasn't there pointing out what I did wrong.
I wouldn't be so presumptious as to try to say what might have happened...whether it was something unforeseen that the diver was unable to control, he was 'in over his head', or who knows what else without knowing the full story directly from him. I also don't think I'm experienced enough to be judgmental of anyone's abilities, and actually don't think I ever will be...it's an entirely personal issue that we all have to deal with and preferably, not get others hurt/involved in the process.
We're humans, we screw up and hopefully we don't hurt anyone in the process and learn from it. I feel for her and her family and hope the diver DID learn something from what happened.