Iflyme

I broke the plane - AGAIN

Well, today, on my second jump, I did a poised exit. And just as I release the plane, I hear a big metallic "thwanggg"... as it turns out, I was hung up on the door handle (again). The jumper exiting after me watched the knob thing follow me down in freefall. The pilot couldn't close the door (C-182), and had to make his approach and landing with it open! This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I'm 6'6", and climbing out is more like scrunching out... on jump #50, I actually was hanging off the damn knob after I released the plane. It put a nice tear in my container, and narrowly (couple of millimetres) missed catching my reserve! A good rigger made the necessary repairs (thanks, Rob). Lucky for me, there are no repairs (to my gear) necessary this time, but the door opening mechanism needs repair. From this moment on, I'm door diving!!! This was jump #77 -- has anybody had any experience even remotely similar to mine ??? The first time it happened, I didn't think much of it until I was on the ground ... this time it really threw me for a loop, not knowing if my gear was screwed before pulling...
The first jump today, btw, was following the CReW guys out - it was snow and ice pellets for the first couple of thousand feet ... snow on top of your canopy looks cool! (The stuff that doesn't blow off, anyway). Thank goodness I got those warmer gloves a couple of weeks back. My moustache was iced up!!!
Please excuse my rambling ... the beer light is on now at home (I've earned it today!).
Frank

Remind me never to offer you a ride in my plane. :)Sounds like you need to find a DZ with bigger planes that have bigger doors. I've only done one Cessna exit and what I did was climb out on the step facing rearward. I just let go of the strut and let the wind push me over 135 degrees. It worked great. I'm only 6'3", but still don't have loads of headroom on a plane like the 182.

I have made over 60 exits from a cessna and I have been caught on the handle a couple of time, but luckily it was spotted by observant divers and JMs, so no worries.:)Our pilot invented(?) a way to alleviate this problem from possibly happening for real (or in your case, again)...he just hangs on to the handle as people do their climb out.
So, if you have a handle that is reachable by the pilot while in his seat, tell him to just make a habit of reaching across and holding it. Aside from the odd scrunch to his fingers with a container, he will save the possibility of this disaster ever causing someone REAL harm.
I know it is simple logic, but you'd be surprised how much logic DOESN'T get practiced with some people.:)Hope this helps,
Arohanui,
B:P
NZPF A-2584

Hey, Frank, I have had the same problem as yourself, once and only once, thank god. Our Cessnas have door handles which are roughly six-inch metal disks with a raised handle - sort of like a big cookie-cutter. You turn it counter-clockwise about 180 degrees and voila - the door opens. I was climbing out for a sit jump and slid one of my reserve flaps under the metal disk as I was in the poised exit position. I was going to turn around and face the rear of the plane, but I realized I was stuck. My jump partner caught on and pulled me back into the plane without incident (thanks, Anne!!!) and the jump went normally. I'd have been pretty screwed if it had been just me and the pilot, I bet. Glad I didn't find out.
Anyway, I'm inclined to believe that just about any handle one could devise for a C-182 door suitable for skydiving is potentially prone to this hazard - if your can get a hold of it with your hand, you can probably get something caught on it. And those doors are small - no doubt. All you CASA/Skyvan/Otter jumpers, thank your lucky stars the next chance you get. And hey, Frank - congratulations on being alive to tell the tale.

So, if you have a handle that is reachable by the pilot while in his seat, tell him to just make a habit of reaching across and holding it. Aside from the odd scrunch to his fingers with a container, he will save the possibility of this disaster ever causing someone REAL harm.

Thanks for the suggestions ... it seems to mee the the door handle is too far from the pilot when the door is open! And that would make the climbout even more awkward... but I do appreciate ANY tips - really!
Ya, Dutch - I could really go for a bigger plane. I did a couple of jumps from a Beech 18 last summer, and it was definitely more "big guy" friendly...
Tee - NOTHING is gonna stop me from hookin' up with you in Kamloops in May... I'm on the list for the ride over in the Twin Otter... just make sure I'm not caught on something at exit time when we go up together!!! (I'll be easy to find there - just look for the REAL tall dude with the door handle sticking out of his rig...)
Frank

Ok, so if any of yall come to my home DZ, I'm making you do 2 things. 1. Buy Beer and 2. Leave before you break our already limping c-182. :D j/k. I had thought about that before while leaving, since I'm kinda a big guy too and seem to always hit the door while I'm climbing out. Haven't caught anything on it, yet, thank God, but now I will definatly be much more careful. Something, though, a couple months ago, a jumping climbing out to the step some how got his pilot chute out by accident. Luckly the jumping climbing out behind him to launch a formation saw that and shoved him off the step/off the plane before his canopy deployed. It deployed with out problems and he had a very long canopy ride home. :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

what you guys need is the jump plane that we use here in germany. it is a cessna 206 with a nice wide door. has a roll up cordura door. you can esily fit one guy on the strut, one inside and two as outside floaters with one guy in the camera slot, that's all five jumpers ready to go. and it's still a cesna!
<>

Hi Frank
Here's a little story that might make you feel a bit better. It was hardly life-threatening, but definitely VERY embarassing. Last week Thursday, I was on a Van load. I was doing a 2-way, and then the last group out the door after us was an AFF level 2 jump. Anyway, light goes on, all the freeflyers bomb out, my 2-way partner moves into the door and... I'm totally paralysed, I want to get up and skydive but I just can't move! Was I paralysed by fear? No, I had forgotten my seatbelt on! And behind me I have a nervous AFF student and 2 not-very-impressed AFF instructors who are getting hosed on the spot. Luckily once I realized the problem, I got out pretty quickly and we still launched the 2-way OK. And, thank God, the AFF student made it back to the landing area!
Anyway, I have now made a gear check AND seat-belt removal a personal drill at 1500 feet. Hope this cheers you up a bit.
:)/s

Hey all -
I'm pretty sure skreamer is right, the Caravan at SkyDance is a Cessna 208. It'll hold 14 jumpers in the back (*very* cramped with that many, but it doesn't take too long to get to altitude and it's definitely worth it! hehe) I've jumped from the Caravan and from the 182...hands-down winner is the Caravan. I think that SkyDance gets a SkyVan in the summer, so I'm excited about that! :)Blue skies, cool rides
Karen

Anyway, I'm inclined to believe that just about any handle one could devise for a C-182 door suitable for skydiving is potentially prone to this
hazard - if your can get a hold of it with your hand, you can probably get something caught on it. And those doors are small - no doubt. All you
CASA/Skyvan/Otter jumpers, thank your lucky stars the next chance you get. And hey, Frank - congratulations on being alive to tell the tale.

The C-182 at my DZ actually has a recessed handled for the door. It is a latch that you turn 90 degrees to open the door. The handle you turn is a semi-circle. I think it would be very difficult to catch yourself on this latch.

SkyDance is going to get a SkyVan? That would be Awesome!!!!
I was talking to one of the packers last week about the 2nd Caravan which is somewhere else and he was mentioning that Ray was in NZ working out a deal for some new plane that is designed from the ground up to be a jumpship. Supposed to hold >20 and climbs 1700 feet a minute. 8 minutes to altitude will be really cool

SkyDance is going to get a SkyVan? That would be Awesome!!!!
I was talking to one of the packers last week about the 2nd Caravan which is somewhere else and he was mentioning that Ray was in NZ working out a deal for some new plane that is designed from the ground up to be a jumpship. Supposed to hold >20 and climbs 1700 feet a minute. 8 minutes to altitude will be really cool

I also heard about Ray checking out that new plane!!! 8 min to altitude...criminey, guess I'll just leave my helmet& goggles on for the whole ride! Steve (landmissle/hubby) had heard about the skyvan...hope that comes true too! What a great summer it's going to be! btw, have we met? (I'm usually there with the Beard twins and Steve.)
Blue skies, fast rides,:P
Karen