sigsby

Wind Tunnel

I am going to be in the Las Vegas area and I have been considering the wind tunnel. I've heard the it's a good way to learn skydiving skills. I am thinking about checking it out but at a cost of five jumps I'm wondering if it's worth the trade. Has anyone else here tried it and if so do you really think it helped. Would you recommend that a student skydiver use this as an additional learning tool?
Get up, Fall down, No problem!
sigsby

Hi there. In my opinion, the wind tunnel is an AMAZING tool for skydiving, even more so at the student level. There are too many benefits to mention them all but some are: Because the wind tunnel is only so big in diameter, you learn to fly in one place instead of sliding all over the sky, plus a 15 minute slot in the wind tunnel is like 15 jumps, but you get all the time at once, not over a few weeks time, that in its self will increase your learning. Plus the instructors are right there watching or even participating in your jumps.
I say go for it! :)Tee
Go for the wind tunnel.

Five flights and a coach for $200.00
If I'm gonna do it I might as well do it. I can't imagine I would get much from one flight. I'd be learning just wind tunnel stuff with very little instruction on the skydiving aspect.
Get up, Fall down, No problem!
sigsby

Sigsby,
I cant say i've been in a wind tunnel but being a student, i bet it would help me a lot!!! Fall rate exercises and go for some back loops. I say go for it and if your in vegas go bungee jumping by circus circus, tell them you wanna go in the pool ( ground rush!!:D )
blue skies, cold beer
chris

all my experience with "skydiving" i have from the wind tunnel, i have to say it's fun and effective, i have over 5 hours in the wind tunnel and it's great!
at my dz they use the wind tunnel at first for the student to learn the basic boxman position, forward and backword motion, spins and how to stay stable at the air while dumping.
go for the wind tunnel
Free Skies,
Omri :S

How long are your "flights"? I paid $285 for 1/2 hour (2 15 minute blocks for 2 of us) in Orlando...They usually rotate you in 2 minutes at a time, which was really nice...anything longer than 2 minutes, you start to get "sloppy". That included a coach. You should ask if they have a skydiver discount. Skyventure in Orlando did...it was only 15 bucks or something like that, but it pays for the video...
"I'll jump anything!"

the video cost me 16 bucks in orlando because i didnt have time to pick one up before my tunnel time. I think that if you bring a tape there, they do it for free. It seems as though they are charging you the whuffo price...see if they can hook you up with a skydiver price. it is still worth it though. Very educational and extremely fun!!! Although if it is your first time in there...wear the kneepads that they offer you.
"I'll jump anything!"

I did the wind tunnel in Orlando. Coupla points:
1) Bring your own blank video tape
2) Hire a coach (obviously)
3) Get a real jumpsuit with booties! If you don't have one yet, try to borrow one! Don't make the mistake I did. The windtunnels provide crappy jumpsuits for whuffos who just want to be towed around in the wind tunnel by one of the people working there. The damn jumpsuits feel like they're made out of carpet material! Using a real jumpsuit with booties makes a big difference.
-If you buy a half hour, they'll give you a Tshirt free sometimes. Mine says, "All of the fun with none of the splat!"
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

I found using a VWT to be a great tool in learning to fly. After 30 minutes in the tunnel I was a new, much improved skydiver. I would recommend it to anyone. Its the only way to can try something till you get it right. Its about the same price per minute of freefall as a jump. But its well worth it as a learning tool.
Just my thoughts....

I did FlyAway in Vegas right before I did my first "no hold" AFP jump. I went there with a serious potato-chipping problem. I did 5 flights with coaching and another 5 flights without coaching. When I came back my instructor was absolutely amazed at my improvement & I sailed through through the remaining levels.
I've done several solo jumps since then trying all sorts of wild stuff and I've never felt like I wasn't in complete control. Several times I'd screw up and wind up in a flat spin, but I came right out of it. Tunnel time will dramatically improve your flying skills.
BTW. It's especially good for RW folks because you really need to have touch to stay centered over the column.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Wouldn't it be a good idea to do the wind tunnel wearing your rig? That way you would be really simluating freefall (weight distribution etc.) and would benefit more. Obviously dumping while in the wind tunnel would NOT be such a good idea...
Seriously though, would they let you wear your rig in the wind tunnel?
/s

probaly wouldn't let you wear your rig due to the danger of it coming open. Anyway, noone wears their rig in the windtunnel. It shouldn't make too much difference in the wind coming up from below. And you don't do head down in a wind tunnel anyway.
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

the only thing i have to add is that i am told you cannot wear your own jumpsuit at the one in vegas (was is speed racer that said take your own?) the owner of the dz where i did my training went there last year and they wouldn't let him or his wife wear their own suits. he said it was because the one in vegas isn't as good as the ones elsewhere, and the wind power won't hold you up unless you wear their giant balloon suit things...
i haven't been there so i am just going on heresay here...i imagine that any wind tunnel with any jumpsuit would help a lot though, i really want to get my ass in one of those things, but it hasn't been convenient yet!
sis

I did the wind tunnel in Orlando. Coupla points:
1) Bring your own blank video tape
2) Hire a coach (obviously)
3) Get a real jumpsuit with booties!

I'm from Orlando and used to work for the company that owns SkyVenture, the windtunnel there. I'm not contradicting the 3 points that were made above but offering up another option. You do not need to hire a coach, in my opinion. The instructors there are always willing to help you out. Thomas, Eliana, and Scott are all part of Deland Tunnel Rage, the skydiving team that won intermediate nationals last summer. Thomas and some of the others are also extremely good freeflyers. They are all very nice and would be willing to step in with you and do some 2-way RW or show you some freeflying moves. I personally have only done some sit and back freeflying in the tunnel but a LOT of RW and it is an AWESOME help. Out of everyone, I would definitely recommend Thomas. Just let them know you are a skydiver and you get a discount and ask if any would be willing to show you a few things.
Also, about the jumpsuit. In my opinion, I do not believe it's necessary to have booties in the tunnel. The wind is different but definitely bring your own suit! The comment about the suits they have there is RIGHT ON! I just wore my freefly suit, even when doing RW in the tunnel and it worked just great. I'm sure booties wouldn't hurt, I just don't think they're necessary in the tunnel.
Hope that helps some. :)Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

i don't know about the difference between booties and no booties in the tunnel as i've only used my suit which has booties when in the tunnel, however carrie is right on about the tunnel rats, they are very helpful and absoluty brilliant at flying in the tunnel.