cloud9

Interesting Point

Lisa brought up an interesting point in a different thread.
How many guys would make a first jump (tandom jump) with a women? I don't think I would have, well it depends on how our d rings snaped together LOL.
Any way what would you have done?
No offense Lisa
Some fun eh!

Actually I had a lot of women tell me that they wanted to jump with a woman instead of a guy. Several guys also preferred that their girlfriends jump with a female instructor rather than a male one.
And I may not be model beautiful but not once did any guy complain about my tits pressing into his back for the entire skydive...
;)
pull and flare,
lisa

Well we have only one female TANDEM master, (only one in GA BTW_LOL), And I would say that without a doubt I would have done my first jump with her. Or any other woman for that matter. If they can handle the certification than it should be no different from anyone else right? You have to actually be able to, and DO them to get your rating anyhow.
I wonder if any tandem student dudes actually think about breasts etc during the jump? And you ladies who are TM's, are you afraid of being sued for sexual harrassment for grabbing some dudes a$$?? -LOL
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

I never did a tandem as my first jump. In fact I have only done one and thats because it was to test a very old rig and it was free. I lived. Anyways, I wouldn't complain about having a female instructor. I would probably want a female instructor for my girlfriend since most guys just can't hold any decency around most girls, but since female tandem instructors are hard to find, I guess she would have to go with a guy. Maybe it will be me.
Safe landings,
Alex D-23912

Its about confidence. How the jumpmaster carries him or herself, and how well they gain the student's trust. Doesn't matter whether you are male or female, your first job is to put your student at ease. We have women tandem masters and AFP jumpmasters at Skydive Chicago, and they are very well received.

Although I've never done a tandum, I doubt that I'd remember on a first tandum having a woman's appendages firmly placed in my back. Sad to say, but True. You can always imagine it though...
Come on guys, if it came down to the same ability in JM's would you honestly go with a guy? Who would want to be strapped in that close to a guy if they had a choice of a woman? Not me! :-P
The real question is - how do you figure out the ability of the JM...?
Cheers,
NewGuy

This is coming from a guy so take it the way that it is ment. I would have no problem jumping with a woman as long as I wasn't too much bigger than she is (like 6-7" and 100lbs) meaning that she was comfortable that she would be able to keep me stable if I freeked. I have a friend that just completed the AFF JM course and I think taht the guys gave her an extra ration of shit to deal with so she may be more competant than the men at the same level.
Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross

I understand what you're saying Albatross. If say, for instance, little Froggie was the TM, she'd have to be really good to be able to keep someone much larger then her stable. The size of the woman I'm sure makes some kind of difference.
Pammi

Size does matter... oh we're talking tandems now! (pulls mind back out of gutter) Well, size matters there too. I'm 5'8", 145 lbs at the time I was doing tandems. I never took anyone over 200 lbs and only once did I take someone over 6' - and we shoulda had video, the body position I had to assume to keep us from turning was hilarious. I preferred to jump with people my size or a bit smaller, which meant that I usually jumped with the girls (to the dismay of the other, all male, instructors...). Actually part of the reason I quit doing tandems was that dz management/manifest kept putting me with students that exceeded my personal limits.
I know of one female tandem instructor at Perris who is about 5'5" and will jump with just about any size student. I think it's a matter of the instructor's confidence level; personally I wasn't confident that I could control a big guy so I refused to jump with them.
pull and flare,
lisa

Well said, Lisa. I don't think very many people at all would mind jumping tandem with a female. It'd be nice if there were enough women doing it so that every dropzone would be able to offer that option for tandems of male or female tandem masters.
Kinda on the same subject but not really:
Just when I though women were *really* starting to level out a little more with the guys in numbers in extreme sports, I was dissappointed again. We went to this skate park yesterday called *Kona*. It is a well-known skateboarders/inliners park and is *really* incredible as far as the stuff they have their to ride on. There were a lot of riders there but in the WHOLE PARK I only saw 1 other girl riding. I was soooooo sad. We obviously still have a long way to go.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

I understand what you're saying Albatross. If say, for instance, little Froggie was the TM, she'd have to be really good to be able to keep someone much larger then her stable. The size of the woman I'm sure makes some kind of difference.

...and this is why im working out at the gym :) J/K. but flying camera does interest me, but theres still issues there with fall rate and all. DOnt know if wearing a weight vest will be comfortable. Size does matter here,and i think that height is a factor too. cant imagine landing good when im 5'1 and have a 6'2 student. But i dont have to worry about that for a longggggg time.
Im just gonna have to start eating like crazy :) lol and hanging upside down (old wives tale to get taller)
froggie

Froggie,
No worries about a weight vest. I've worn one several times when doing RW and it's no big thang.
There are also a lot of other ways to speed up your fall rate such as wearing a super-tight suit.
As for camera-flying. I've met one very petite guy (he's about 4 ft tall, I'd estimate) and one very petite girl who are both very excellent camera flyers so no worries! If it interests you, you'll be alright.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/
(trying to get a few posts in before I go off to slave at the pool, coaching:)