robellis

What's everyone got in common?

I'm from the UK, and obviously into skydiving as #1 thing to do.
However, in the posts lots of people are mentioning Scuba as a common pastime. In the UK a lot of skydivers are into motorbikes, and quite a few into snowboarding.
I'm in Deland FL on 20th April, with 2 weeks to spend. I could either stay for the first week skydiving on my own, or go with a couple of mates to get my PADI thing done and jump with a few more mates that are joining us for the second week. Any suggestions?

I dont scuba or do really any other extreme sports. I think its due to how expensive it is. when i was 17 i looked into scuba and its too pricey for me right now. I'd have to say my favorite sport, next to skydiving, is bowling. Where else can you get drunk as a skunk and hang out w/ your friends while doing something as fun as bowling. Call me a nerd if you will but if you watch the "Big Lebowski" you might change your tune.B| "Fuck it dude, lets go bowling"
chris

Hey Rob,
Well, I'm a scuba-diver but I must admit, in the last 7 months I've been a skydiver, I haven't gone scuba diving. I haven't given it up b/c I LOVE it but it is very expensive and right now, I'd rather blow what little money I have on a few jumps. I am PADI certified as well and I can tell you I recommend them highly if you decide to do it. If you decide to stick around Deland, though, most likely I'll be there jumping on the 21rst so maybe I'll see you.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

I think one more thing we have in common is that we all sell the other stuff in our life to but jump tixs! I am putting up my Stang which I have been working on for four years! I am going to cancel my cable, thats a jump per month! Whatever else I don't need is on the chopping block!

Yeah, I'm with Speedy on this, except for the "nearly empty" bank account... I'm one of those who get leters from the bank along the lines of "When you started banking with us, we were under the impression You would bank with US, not the other way 'round".:D
I suppose the fundamental difference between "us" and what I have heard termed as the "Pink world" is that as "adrenaline junkies" we seek our limits. I suspect that a free climber, a SCUBA diver, a Para/Hang glider, a Speliologist, etc... would feel at home in the talkback forum (even if lost in the S&T or G&R forums). A "Whuffo" (of any adrenaline sport) would view any "edge seeker" as mad.
IMHO that's what sets us apart & what we have in common.
Mike D10270.

Seem to be quite a few scuba divers and a couple of snowboarders amongst you. I can't be the only mountain-biker posting here, anybody else mountain-bike? (or even roadies for that matter)
What are you into, cross-country or downhill?
/s
[drop till you party!]

Are you nuts? Do you know what's happening on April 20th in Deland? It's the 4:20 boogie, er, the FreeFly Shindig. I was at the orriginal two freefly fiestivals put on by local freefly legends and they were a blast. Now that Chris Fiala and Max Cohn are down here thanks to the talents of Tom Balzer, they're not holding anything back. Look at it this way...
1.) You've never been scuba diving, and though you'll probably end up loving it, you can learn later.
2.) You love skydiving and this is going to be one of the best bashes of the year!
3.) I'll be in the middle of finals that weekend, finals that will determine if I graduate an Aerospace Engineer one week later or have to spend another semester at school, and there is no doubt I'll be at Skydive Deland that weekend.
The fish can wait, but with skydiving as exciting as it is right now do you think you can pass up this oportunity to jump?

the scuba thing seems to be quite popular. But weve also got a lot of computer GEEKS here (laughing because of the old thread 'whos a geek) and just regular geeks. :) we have a few people involved in medicine, even though we post more about that under S&T forum. Some of us ride ATV's, actaully, a lot of us have a history w/ riding. Weve got other stuff in comon too. i cant think of it presently
froggie

Actually, Froggie, I think it's the ones who DON'T use computers that are the *geeks*. At least, that's what I keep calling my boyfriend who just had a laptop given to him but I still can't get him to check out the dz.com threads.
RIGHT ON, VIVAHEADDOWN! Good advice. I got nothing but love for the 420 boogie:)Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

We are all adrenaline junkies of some sort or another. I am an addict: EMT, free climber, snowboarder, full contact fighter, SCUBA and anything else that will jumpstart me. This is my way of keeping from the depression that runs in my family.
Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross