Andy_Copland

Should Rigging Be a Requirement?

Disclaimer: Im not trying to upset anybody here but this kinda bugged me a bit.

I was reading the forums and saw a post asking for help getting a toggle off the break line.

Nothing wrong there... except the person needing help had 900 jumps and a D license according to their profile.

Should simple rigging be a requirement for certain licenses? Maybe im just being anal about thinking people should at least understand the ins and outs of their gear if they are going to survive 900 times under it and more.

I dont know, any suggestions? What are your thoughts?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I thought the same thing. For someone with that many jumps to be that completely unfamiliar with their gear is just scary.

I'm glad you started this thread. I wanted to say something in the other one, but didn't want to come across like I was bashing one person in particular. It's the scenario that is disturbing, not the person specifically.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I know its inconvenient for most but simply watchinga rigger at work with their gear or even someone elses is 100% more helpful to your knowledge then being totaly ignorant to your gear

Andy, I have long thought that one of the requirements for any "D" or "Master" license should be the requirement to inspect and repack your reserve and harness/container system under the guidance of a certificated rigger. I kid you not I had a "D" licensed skydiver ask me to explain exactly what a RSL did....... [:/]
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Firstly, I totally agree that everyone, regardless of jump numbers, should have a general idea of how everything on their equipment works. But when we have licensed skydivers who don't even know how to pack their mains...how we going to get people to learn basic rigging stuff?

But then again...I'm just a newbie, so take it for what it's worth (not much).[:/]

Im not saying they should become a master rigger. I just think a demonstration of basic knowledge of your gear should be enough.

Just as pilots do basic checks before take off.

That means that you should be able to do a gear check and might even pack a main for yourself. So what are we talking about?

I was reading the forums and saw a post asking for help getting a toggle off the break line.

Nothing wrong there... except the person needing help had 900 jumps and a D license according to their profile.

That's not as bad as when I had a D license jumper ask me to hook up their 3 rings, because they didn't know how. If you don' know how to hook it right, how are you going to know if its right on a gear check?:S But yes it is always best to have a compleat understanding on ones system and how it works.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I would like to see a jumper be able to take a main off the rig, change simple things like toggles and re-attach without getting confused by 3 rings.

I dont think thats the case for some people and that worries me.

I would like to see a jumper be able to take a main off the rig, change simple things like toggles and re-attach without getting confused by 3 rings.

Toggles look simple for you, but you are not authorized to assemble or maintain skydiving rig with a rigging license. We can change rubber bands and closing loops.

Try to understand that a skydiving rig is just a life saving device for some people in this sport. some of them has no interest how to fly them or even how to pack them.