jdkalou

Cookie G3

Quick question: For all of those that have ordered the G3. I am a bit leary of ordering the XXLarge. I used their "Headgear Sizing Chart" and yes my melon is just a hair under 24", which calls for the XXLarge, but I am affraid that if I go with the XXLarge it will be to big.
Has anyone ordered the G3, used the "Headgear Sizing Chart" and found upon arrival that the helmet was infact to big?

How about find someone with a XL and try that if you think that the guys at Cookie are going to give you bad advice with there sizing chart.

The shape of your head as well as size is important on a good fit. So finding one of your friends to try there helmet is probably the best bit of advice.

Just to note that Cookie sizing chart is normally good advice to use. They make the helmets.

Don't take me wrong, I don't think the "Cookie Guys" would give me bad advice, companies don't stay in business very long giving "bad advice." I just don't want to be sending helmets back and forth this winter trying to get the right sized one. I have never ordered head gear without trying one on first so this is a first for me. I live in an area that is not very close to others that I know who have the G3, let alone know anyone that has a Cookie helmet. So I just wanted to know anyone else's experience with the sizing charts.
Thank you for your input. Information is power:)

Buying headgear is not the same as buying something like an altimeter/hook knife. The shape of everyone's head is different. You may find someone with the same measurement and have a completely different shaped head than yours. Hence its a sizing GUIDE !!!

Without trying one on then its always going to be a crap shoot. What's the rush ?, go to DZ as the helmet is a very popular one and I'm sure there are a couple of people with them that you may try on. Or wait until you go to a DZ with a good gear shop and demo a few helmets. You can try different helmets until you find one that is suitable.

That's the only real way you can determine its fit for you.

G3 are know to be sized on the small side. So you may be ordering a larger size than you think. And once you put audibles in and depending upon you hair state (long/tied etc.) all will effect how it feels.

I wear a medium in every other kind of helmet I've ever bought (mostly motorcycle) but the G3 chart put me in an XL. I couldn't believe it so ordered a Large...ended up having to return it for the XL, which fits perfectly. Your mileage may vary but that was my experience.

jdkalou

Quick question: For all of those that have ordered the G3. I am a bit leary of ordering the XXLarge. I used their "Headgear Sizing Chart" and yes my melon is just a hair under 24", which calls for the XXLarge, but I am affraid that if I go with the XXLarge it will be to big.
Has anyone ordered the G3, used the "Headgear Sizing Chart" and found upon arrival that the helmet was infact to big?

They are adjustable by a surprising amount. When trying them out in my local skydiving store, XXL was the most comfortable fit and what I got. But then I wore a friend's that was more broken in and L fit well. I've adjusted the spectra on my own helmet to be more snug and have no issues.

See the helmet thread in the Women's Only forum. Not everyone's head can wear every brand of helmet. No way will my head fit in any Cookie helmet. I've tried. Phantom fit fine.

Don't pick a helmet based on features, advertising, hype, recommendations, or cool factor. FIRST, make sure it will fit, with the audibles, glasses etc that you want to use with it. THEN pick from the ones that will fit.

This may require a road trip or waiting until a skydiving event (PIA symposium is a good one;)) to try various brands on. At 75 jumps you can wait awhile. Or be sure you can return them and be willing to eat return shipping.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I used the chart and I came up with an XL, which I thought would be a bit big so I actually went to the factory and tried on an L and XL and found the XL to be a perfect fit.

XL and XXL are the same shell size, so if you purchased an XXL and it was too large you could buy a new liner, not ideal but an option. As others have suggested, if you can try on someone else's that'll give you the best indication but FYI a used helmet will feel a bit looser than a brand new helmet.