skymama

Spy Kids

I just came back from the movies with the kiddies so I don't have to feel guilty about leaving them tomorrow to go to the DZ. :D Anyway, in the movie "Spy Kids", they have yet another unrealistic example of skydiving. In one scene, the lead characters are getting away from the bad guys by doning parachutes. They throw the chutes on their backs, strap on a flimsy chest strap, and go running toward the side of a cliff with their leg straps trailing behind them. They jump off the cliff and, miraculously, their leg straps are on, and their (heart shaped!) parachutes take them down to where they land perfectly in a boat. Did I mention that the leading lady managed to get those leg straps on in mid-air while she had a wedding dress on? LOL!! I was yelling to my kids, "look at their leg straps, look at their leg straps...", and they were shushing me and looking at me like I was crazy! Kids these days...

yeah, a guy does that in Cliffhanger (with Sly Stallone) as well. He is running from someone who he realises is a baddie and he throws his base rig over his shoulders and then gets shot(!) as he leaps, but miraculously deploys and lands - albeit in a tree where he is left hanging, near dead.
I recognise the need for the effects for the movies, but still, it certainly doesn't add credibility to the movies when even those in the community can spot the inconsistencies! (not that Cliffhanger had a lot of it in the first place!:ohe didn't say that did he?)
Kia Kaha,
Pyke:P
NZPF A-2584

Speaking of bad stunts...did anyone see the Baywatch where Mitch and another guy made a skydive and Mitch's main failed (reserve also, I believe) and he landed in the ocean, feet first, and was completely OK?? I saw this after reading a little bit about skydiving before my first jump and got up and was explaining to everyone around me, "That was a load of S#IT!!! You couldn't do that for anything!!!"
Oh well...some producers aren't big fans of technical supervisors for stuff stuff, huh?
bluz
NEW AND IMPROVED!!!
http://home.woh.rr.com/brandonandlaura/

I think the best thing about point break is where Patric Sweazy(?) tells Keanu "1000 FEET...PULL" and they go into a 15 second arguement about who should pull first :)
And damn, Holland is heaving some mighty fine weather today...but I have to wait two more weeks to finaly jump again (after two months of not jumping due to Mouth/Foot disease)
And next week, my dad is doing his tandem jump...:)
Cya,
Jarno Cordia
Netherlands
http://www.3dluvr.com/mccordia/

two months of not jumping due to Mouth/Foot disease
Gosh, I hope you are feeling better!

I must inform you that you are responsible for a major chaos in my living room ... I was eating a cookie when I read your post and spit it all over the room when I broke down laughing
THIS IS TOO FUNNY!!!