skip

Just introducing myself.

What have I gotten myself into?
I just wanted to drop a line to people who will understand. My story goes like this. Two years ago I’m drinking at a little bar in Houston TX. And my friend makes it know that he is going skydiving the next day, and asks me to come along. Hmm sound’s interesting but no thanks. Needless to say the next morning I’m standing in an OPEN AIRPLANE DOOR while flying at quite some altitude. How did this happen, am I insane….?
I had a wonderful time, spent the next year or so analyzing it, philosophizing it de-mystifying it and everything I could do to rationalize it. It became apparent that I had to do this one more time, one last time, just to go over the notion that you can jump out of an airplane and land safely on the ground.
Two weeks ago I trekked out to Skydive Space land for my second tandem skydive. You know, it was a quest for knowledge and understanding. When we got to altitude I wasn’t as hesitant as 2 years before, and actually when I got to the door it no longer seamed absurd, in fact I was absolutely enthralled with the notion of what was about to happen. What a ride, WHAT A FREAKIN RIDE.
The next week I was a crack addict without crack, restless, my mind was on one thing, how can I possibably get back up there, is this something I want to do all the time, certainly not. Will this feeling go away, what are you missing, it’s just a couple minute ride? But no I have to have it, and on and on and on. Oh what have I gotten myself into?
So I was back the next weekend, finished up my last 2 tandem jumps, amazed at my ability to function and think rationally whilst in free-fall. Amazed by the cool supportive people around me. Amazed at the sport and how it makes me feel to know I can do this. Skydivers were once mythical figures to me, and maybe they still are, however I think I’ve been let in on a little secrete. This is a dream, and I can take part in the action.
Anyhow just wanted to introduce myself, I’ve been reading these posts for a week non –stop. There are a bunch of really great people here, and I’m super glad I found this place to ask questions, tell stories etc. etc. for my family, friends and co-workers are going to send me to the wolfs if I bring up skydiving any more.
-Skip-

Hey skip, welcome! Looks like we have another jump junkie! ;)
Ramon and I jump out at Spaceland regularly. AirAnn switches between Spaceland and SDH.
I'm there pretty much every Saturday and sometimes Sundays. Ask around for who we are (most folks know me as Ted, a couple call me Zennie) and say "hi". Everyone's really great out there.
Hope to see you soon!
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

The next week I was a crack addict without crack

Yep, sounds like you are one of us already!

I think I’ve been let in on a little secrete

Hey, I washed already OK!!! (it was that time of month), hee hee :D
Welcome dude! (and you thought the Addams family was freaky???)
/s

Skip:
Hey when you watch your vids, and they scan the plane and then cut to the door opening, does your heart start to race? When you're at work and you pass a window, do you stop to see if there's any wind and check out the clouds? Do you know exactly how long it takes to fake an illness, pack a cooler and make it out to the DZ? Yeah, I'd say you're going to fit right in! Welcome!
Divadiver

Welcome, Skip!

The next week I was a crack addict without crack...

I was the same way. I've spent a month running my mouth about how fun it was and I haven't even done a freefall yet! Money is an issue for me so I'm taking it one jump at a time, but seriously considering whipping out the plastic fantastic (which I HATE to do) and jumping all freakin weekend! Insane? Naw, just an adrenaline junky :)Has anyone out there ever completed their training in one three-day weekend??
Blue Skies,
Karl

Glad to have you around, Skip! When do you start AFF? Do you realize that this is the last time you will ever have any extra money, and every purchase you make will be a new mathematical equation of how many jumps it is equal to? And you know what? It's worth every penny! :)Andrea

Has anyone out there ever completed their training in one three-day weekend??

I came pretty close - it took me 10 months to do 6 jumps, 3 of which were repeats. Then I finished AFF in 20 hours - did my level IV repeat (and passed, thank God) on the sunset load one Friday, slept at the DZ, and did my AFF V, VI, and VII by 3 pm Saturday.
If you can get 2 or 3 jumps in per day DO IT!! It helps your learning curve so much, not just because you don't have to dredge up the memories of what you did well and badly last time, but also because you're not nearly as nervous on the way up and in the door if you've already had 1 successful jump that day.
Blues, squares,
PTiger

Yeah I did my tandem 1 with Joe on my back and Super Dave on Camera, Tandem 2 with Rabit, and Tandem 3 again with Joe. All super guys.

They're all great guys. Rabbitt took me on my first tandem ride. I've never seen someone chug a beer faster than Joe. And I've seen a lot of pros. :D I swear he sucked it down faster than I could pour one. Super, well, words can't describe him. :o
Wait 'till you get to know Scotty! :D
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Skip, If you've seen the Matrix, you've been unplugged. Now you see the real world.
Just remember, anyone you meet may potentially be a whuffo.
Read the "normal" people thread. And for gods sake, stop wasting your money on Tandems and become a student.

sweet, thanks for having me. The plan was to save all the money up front for the AFP program so that I could jump at will, however I think I have worked it out so I can pay in segments and get up there sooner, and still manage to make atleast 4 jumps every 2 weeks. OR I could sell my car, all my computers and other unnesicary nift gadgets.....HUMM