gowlerk

Sewing machine score

I've got one of those. Came from Harbor Freight. Good machine but I have trouble keeping up with the speed. Damn that thing eats material. The biggest problem I have with it is the thread breaking. Drives me crazy. Of course, THAT is a short trip. :-)
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!

I put a smaller (2")pulley on the motor, the original was either 4 or 4.5". It does help some, but it is still fast and is hard to control the start up speed. I am thinking about putting a servo motor on it. Thought I would try changing the pulley first as it is the cheaper option.

I'd like to learn more about rigging now that I'm hooked on skydiving, how much of a handicap is it to not have a walking foot machine?

Very long a complicated topic. But basically the more layers of material, and heavier materials, the more you need complicated feeding systems. In rigging work you need several different machines in the end, because each one does a different job well. When you are starting it's always a struggle to find machines that are a compromise between cost, space, and the ability to preform more than one job.

The Juki you are using is a great machine for light garment sewing, like you are using it for. But you probably have at least one other machine for when you need a zigzag stitch. In rigging a ZZ machine is a basic must have.

You can start learn about the many different feed systems here:

http://www.chholderby.com/industrial-sewing-machines/feeding-the-material/
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Tisket

.. how much of a handicap is it to not have a walking foot machine? :D

.....................................................................................

You really only need a walking foot when you are doing container repairs. Then the walking foot helps feed multiple layers oaf Cordura, binding tape, etc. evenly.

For mot canopy repairs, you only need feed dogs on the underside. The bad news is that most canopy fabric is too thin for the feed dogs to a get a good grip, so you will have to learn how to hand-feed canopy fabric.

gowlerk

He reciprocated by buying me a 1952 beauty, last month.

That black 1952 Singer is a model 201-2. From the '30s to late late 50's it was the top of the line domestic Singer. The one everyone wanted, but not everyone could afford. Often called "the machinist's machine" because of the very high build quality, and the use of ball bearings where lesser machines used plain bearings. This was at a time when every household had to have a sewing machine, and it was used at least every week. They aren't hard to find now, because they made a lot of them. Most work just like new once they are cleaned up a little.

This one runs beautifully !
My husband bought it for $175, from a co worker whose grandmother was going into the nursing home :(
Evidently he didn't know its worth, but it worked out well for us.

You can find a lot of machines for a really good price if you have some patience. I have seven industrial sewing machines and a ripcord press in my loft. Here is what I paid for them, all complete with tables, motors and heads.

Bernina 217 (with cam reader) - $500
Pfaff 542 (double needle split bar w/ big bobbins) - $380
Singer 269W - $200
Brother B791 - $250
Ripcord press and tester - $275

My loft is done, now I am working on my machine shop B|

Hi Jim,

Bernina 217 (with cam reader) - $500
Pfaff 542 (double needle split bar w/ big bobbins) - $380
Singer 269W - $200
Brother B791 - $250
Ripcord press and tester - $275

What is your address I need to get the old Midnight Sewing Machine Supply Company back in operation.

:P

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Now you can use the word SCORE more than once.

OK, so this is the opposite of a sewing machine score.

So about two months ago, I was told by a guy that I work with, that our resident mechanic had several industrial sewing machines that he was interested in selling. Being the procrastinator that I am I just got around to asking him about them yesterday.

Turns out he had 14 or 15(he wasn't exactly sure) they were all Singers and at least one double needle. They had been in a storage container for several years, tables and all, working when pulled out of a sewing factory by his dad. He sold the entire lot, with the container for scrap!!!!! He got $1600....I almost cried when he told me how much he got.