Michele

A Lesson at 5,000 ft

Hi. (Just so you all know, I am so new I had to look up "whuffo"...) I e-mailed a friend of mine about my jump yesterday, and she told me you all might be interested in reading about it. I did my first jump ever as AFF on my birthday about 5 weeks ago. My dad came to watch, and nearly had hysterics (I got lost, couldn't find the airport let alone the landing target, and scared the he*l out of my jm and my family - the videotape commentary from my family is too funny) when everyone else had landed, and I was nowhere to be found. I finally found the airport (the airplane taxi-ing down the runway was a clue...), and came cruising in with the wind to my back, about 400 feet, flew right over the runway, and tanked in the dirt. I was hooked. On the video, you can hear me hooting and hollering before you can see me...way funny.
I had been set to go for my AFF level II last weekend, but got weathered out. I went skydiving yesterday - absolutely georgous day for it. Azure skies, light wispy clouds, winds about 8-10 knots, great friends at the drop zone, just a miraculous day.
In more ways then one, it turned out.
For some reason, I was scared to get on the plane. I was truly, really, honestly scared for the first time. You could see it on my face in the plane on the way up. But you can't just pretend you're NOT scared -it doesn't work that way. You just kinda accept it, acknowledge it, take back the control, and move through it to the other side. That's with fear whenever you feel it. If you let it take control, you will become paralyzed (literally), and in my case today, that might have cost me my life. It did take me almost 20 seconds to get out of the plane (sorry about that, Koji - the videographer).
I got a serious wake-up call with the chute. I had felt "odd" about this chute; it was balancing "oddly" on my body. But it passed the two ground inspections, and the two in-flight inspections, but it kept feeling odd, off, weird. I put that aside because everything feels off when you're leaving a perfectly good airplane, no smoke in the cockpit, all systems go and the pilot is healthy as an ox. Jumping into the sky at
13,200 feet is odd, no matter which way you slice that particular cake.
When we left the plane, we end up ass-over-teakettle. Head down flying I am not ready for. I hit the arch, and we stabilized. What I didn't know then, but would find out in about 50 seconds, was that my right leg strap was not as tight as it should have been.

So there we are, falling through the sky, and I'm loving it. I'm going through my level II test stuff. Great form, excellent control, beautiful execution of all requirements (on the video, I'm grinning fit to beat the band). I do my practice touches, and the cord is there. No problems. We hit 5,000 ft, and I reach back, and the ripcord is not there. Just not there. Not where it was just literally 30 seconds before. Gone. On the video, you see me flapping around, reaching, hitting my hip, and getting a great handful of nothing. You can see my jm grab my flapping hand, toss my hand away, and with both of his, he grabs the cord, and yanks (you can see my body shift in the air) - and boom, there goes the pilot chute, and then the main chute opens, just as perfect as you please. The opening felt like I had been in a 35 mph head-on car accident. I bounced around for a good few seconds, while trying to check to see if the chute had it's form, and whatnot.
The ride down was superb. No time to worry about what had happened, because now I'm trying to control this airfilled parachute, matching windspeeds, looking for the airport, finding a landing spot, setting up to land, turn, set up, here I go, the ground is coming up fast, a quick look to make sure I'm not landing on someone or on a rattlesnake or in a pond or on a tree, and then a perfect 3-point landing (I still don't know what that means) on my feet, drop the toggle, reel in the chute, and holler in sheer joy that I landed.
Then I sat down really hard, right there in the dirt, parachute in my hands, and burst into tears. Mind you, all of this to the tune overdubbed on the tape of "I feel free" by the Go-Go's (bum-bum-bum-bum, I feel free, bum-bum-da-bum). My jm comes running over, and pulls me to my feet, and checks one small strap on my right hip. It was loosened, causing everything to shift just enough to make everything right on the edge of problematic.
Know what I learned today? Trust myself. If it feels off, it is.
What else? Know that you know. And don't think just because you're new, or not as experienced, you don't know. You know anyway. And take action to resolve that knowing to where you feel secure. And if you feel as if something is off, don't jump until you're sure everything is as normal as it gets.
I have the most glorious bruising on my thighs, left chest, left shoulder, and neck - because the harness had slipped to the left, and my entire (and not inconsiderable) weight was absorbed on that side. The most beautiful markings straight across my chest under my breasts. I even have bruised imprints of ,my (ahem) bra straps. And I am just fine.
The worst thing that actually happened? I broke two fingernails. If this is the worst that I got from this lesson, aside from some minor bruises, then I am truly one blessed girl.
I can't wait to get into Level III. And this time, if it feels odd, I will tell someone. I promise.
Blue skies (what does that mean, by the way?)
Michele

glad to hear you're moving to level 3. i'm surprised your jm's gear check missed a lose leg strap. it's all part of the whole importance of symmetry in skydiving. if anything is off just a little bit, you'll feel it...
get used to the bruises. it won't be the last time, even if you're gear is snug...
and a whuffo is a non skydiver, that who says "whuffo you jump out of airplanes?" (what for)
they just don't get it.
and a 3 point landing refers to airplanes, which typically land on 2 (or even 1) wheel first, then the nose comes down or tail for those draggers, then all 3 are on the ground. to touch all 3 at once takes mass skills on the pilot...
or i guess 3point could be the steps you take after a good swoop....
anyway,
blue skies is like saying have a nice day
blew skies
:)lew:S

Glad to see you haven't let it get you down.
We all make mistakes. One of the many rules in skydiving: "If you can walk away from it. It's a good skydive!" ;)
I'm real fussy about my equipment. I like my bridle just so near my hacky (as in making sure as little is exposed as possible).
I almost feel naked without my straps tightened. I see folks get on the plane with their straps loosened and I just can't do that. What if you have to bail at 1500?
Anyway. Consider it a lesson learned and move on. It's all good! :)Oh, and welcome to this wonderful sport!
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

The worst thing that actually happened? I broke two fingernails.

Hey sorry to hear about your fingernails! I know ths is not a small loss - hope it doesn't keep you from coming back! Hehehehee! Thanks for sharing your story! :)Safe swoops
Sangiro

I have the most glorious bruising on my thighs, left chest, left shoulder, and neck.... The most beautiful markings straight across my chest under my breasts.

I can't believe nobody offered to kiss them and make them better. What a buncha slackers. Of course, I'm married, so I can't. :)Justin
"If it can't kill you, it isn't worth doing."

hey michele,
like zennie said... if you can walk away its a good skydive.
but to add to that, it's even better if you walk away AND you learned something. and it sounds like you did. great job.
remember, it's your life so YOU should be the one who is comfortable with the jump.etc etc. no-one else is gonna know your worries unless you ask questions. its good to see that you are aware of things and that you walked away. welcome to our world!!!! let us know how your jumps go. it's great to hear/see someone progress through the course. (if you wanna read some real funny stuff see the "journey to certification" thread, i bet you will be a little more at ease knowing what we all went through)
Have Fun, live free, SKYDIVE!!!
JT

sounds like it all ended well, your right about being true to yourself (where have I heard that before). Like they say (who the hell are they? anyway). Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the sky, then be in the sky wishing you were on the ground. ;) Good luck on your next one and keep us posted.
Bleau Skies

Hi, Zennie
" I'm real fussy about my equipment. I like my bridle just so near my
hacky (as in making sure as little is exposed as possible)."
Are these new terms to use? Could you translate for me? It would seem I have an entire new language t learn. Where's the dictionary?

bridle is the chord from the pilot chute (the chute that pulls out the big chute) to the big chute. hacky is just like a hacky sac you kick around, but it's permanently attached to the pilot chute, and you grab it and throw it to deploy the pilot chute and hence the main canopy. if you're still using a rip chord and spring loaded pilot chute, the cable thing that you completely pull out of the rig and hold on to so you don't drop and owe the dz $10. next time your at the dz ask someone to show you the difference between a spring loaded pilot chute/rip chord system and a throw out/BOC. as for the bridle being as little exposed as possible, that's to prevent horseshoe malfunctions, which is where the bridle comes out and pulls the pin out so the bag releases from the container, but the pilot chute is still stowed and the lines from the bag to the rig and the bridle to the rig make a horseshoe shape. it is the most lethal malfunction, hard to get the pilot chute out to open the main, hard to clear to open the reserve, often resulting in a tangled reserve in the main/bag... maybe i just unleashed too many new terms...
sorry
skies
:)lew:S

Hi Michele (and everyone!).... I'm new too and thought I'd tell the story of my second (non!) jump. I did Lvl One AFF about 7 weeks ago, not being able to go back sooner due to weather, work etc... finally went up to the dz last weekend. The weather was no good for students (winter has just begun here...) so I did a lot of revision with the instructors which was great. I decided to stay the night in case the weather was better the next day. We got a wake-up call around 8.30am and everyone popped out of bed for the first load. The sky was completely cloud-covered so I didn't think I'd be jumping that day either. I had some coffee & toast and did a bit more revision, my instructors were happy with my drills & arch etc... and before I knew it I'd been manifested for the first load! So I got ready... the red jumpsuit that made me look like a clown, into the harness, everything checked, ready to go. Except I felt really, really nervous. I know this is normal, but I hadn't felt this nervous before my first jump. All the way up to altitude I tried to imagine myself jumping, and I just couldn't do it. I took deep breaths and concentrated, but I just couldn't see myself jumping out the door. I watched everyone else go until it was just me, my two jumpmasters and one other guy. I took my goggles off and told my jms I just couldn't do it. I felt so disappointed in myself, and felt bad for the jm who didn't get to jump but had to ride back down with me. Everyone was really cool about it and said as I hadn't felt 100% confident, I'd made the right decision to not jump, but obviously I can't not jump every time I go up! I don't know what happened... I really wanted to jump, and I really want to continue with this sport, but I just didn't feel ready at that particular moment. It turns out my instincts may have been helping me as everyone on that load had an off dz landing, on the other side of a lake that's next to the dz. I suppose it would have been a good experience for me to have an off dz landing, especially as there would have been plenty of people to follow down, but it also may have made me more nervous. Do many people just freeze like this at some stage? I feel confident again and I know this is something I can do.... does anyone have any suggested techniques for overcoming that moment of fear at getting out the door? I felt that fear at the door on my first jump but once I was out I was fine, it's just that moment of exit I'm having problems with. Anyway, good luck Michele and I'm hoping to get through Lvl Two next weekend.
:) "He thought only of heavens, skies, horizons, infinities, by night or day, lit by star, moon, or sun, cloudy or clear, but always it was skies and heavens and horizons that ran ahead of you for ever when you soared."
'Uncle Einar', Ray Bradbury

Nimbus, I was also much more nervous for my second jump than my first jump. I was doing a tandem which probably reduces the fear factor, because if you screw up there's NO WAY you're going to lose track of your instructor. :)I can't really offer any specific advice; the only thing I can say is to visualize your exit. But you've already tried that so I'm not sure if it will work for you. Whatever you end up trying, good luck!!
Blues, Squares,
PTiger
*insert sub-100 character sig here*

No, Lew, I understood them all perfectly.
The little thingy pulls out the big thingy, then you float.
There's a bag and a container, one which has to do with something, and the other to do with something else. There's the main/bag, which is the first thing, and then another thing which has a container.
Then there's the fishing gear: pins, hooks, lines and rigs.
And don't forget the horseriding gear: bridle, saddle, and horseshoes.
And the watchmaking stuff: spring, lock, and BOC (that's the wind-up thing on the side of an old time watch...)
And somewhere in there, if I don't hold onto something, I owe someone else some money.
See? I got it. :)

I have the most glorious bruising on my thighs, left chest, left shoulder, and neck - because the harness had slipped to the left, and my entire (and not inconsiderable) weight was absorbed on that side. The most beautiful markings straight across my chest under my breasts. I even have bruised imprints of ,my (ahem) bra straps. And I am just fine.

Ouch. Sounds like you had one hell of a hard opening in addition to the straps being loose. I assume you're jumping a Manta or the like (translation - huge fricking canopy). Those things always open hard as hell. I think they're designed that way intentionally so that the student knows the canopy is there as soon as he/she opens it. I know I had bruises on my inner thighs every student jump I made. It will get better though, I promise. Nowadays, I can pull in a track (I had to test that during the coaches course) and not get bruised.
Anyway, glad you didn't get hurt, and remember what you've learned about having the straps adjusted. When you move down to smaller canopies, having an uneven harness can cause the canopy to spin up on opening and result in a malfunction, so it's good to get in the habit early.