Austin

When did you start looking for a first rig?

I'm stil doing my student training through the IAD method, but was wondering when do most people start looking for/considering buying their own rigs?? and are there any containers that are particularly "friendly" to people just off of student status?
Austin

I'm new to the sport but got a good deal on a used vector II container with the appropriate sized canopies at my dropzone so I went for it. I only had 15 jumps when I got it, but I wanted to be able to build that familiarity that comes from using your own gear versus rentals.

I started looking as soon as I got finished AFF. Demoed a bunch of canopies, rigs, etc. Didn't actually buy and have my own until about 45 jumps though. Gear is expensive (obviously) so it's important to be happy with what you get, and to have something you will potentially be able to use for a while. Just my 2 cents. =c)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

i got my rig after my 22nd jump but then again i had been jumping for a year and a half before i got my gear......best thing you can ever do too....it's so much easier to jump your own stuff and get used to it then keep switching main sizes and stuff.......you can normally find a pretty good deal on used stuff! i got my first rig for $600 here at dz.com on the clasifieds and just got a new main and container for $500 in the clasifieds too....just be sure you know what you are getting!!!!

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

As soon as I got off student status I was trying to jump as many diff rigs I could get my hands on. Then My DZO brought in a new Talon2 container with a new reserve and put a main w/ 150 jumps on it in the rig and said try this. Loved it...and on jump 17 bought it!!!!. I know that seems kinda fast to be buying a rig but I got a great deal on it and counldnt pass it up. Plus the thing fits like a glove to me!!
jason

I actually started looking what i wanna get about 3-4 month before i even started jumping, but ordered my rig about a month after i started jumping, and i think it was even kinda late cuz i know i'm gonna jump a lot and it will be waste of money renting gear all the time
so my conclution is that if u r gonna be serius in the sport start looking for a rig soon
Free Skies,
Omri :S

I've been jumping my own gear since jump #14. I started looking around while I was still on student status. Part of the reason I started looking as early as I did was that I'm bigger than your average skydiver (6'3" 205lbs) so there isn't as much used gear out there that is appropriate for me.
I ended up buying a new rig: Dolphin container, Hornet 190, Tempo 210, and CYPRES from Roy at http://www.para-service.com for about $3200.
All of the riggers at my DZ recommended the Dolphin, especially for new jumpers. They are inexpensive and quite durable for those (ocassional?) not so perfect landings.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

I'm on jump 7 and have been looking since jump 5. Basically just doing lots of research, etc. I'm probably going to get a new rig from Square3 at XKeys. They have a demo program where you put down a deposit on new gear purchase and then you rent at a discounted monthly, unlimited jumps rate. The larger your deposit, the cheaper your rent. If you put down a $4000 deposit, you get 6 months free rent, and then you basically have all the money already paid for a full set up. I figure I'll rent for my first 25 or so non student jumps and try out different rigs before I settle on what I'm buying. You should check if the gear store near you has something similar.

Hi -
I bought new gear while I was doing AFF and it arrived by the time I finished. I got a larger demo canopy that I jumped for 25 jumps or so and then I bought a used canopy that I'm still jumping now although I did end up getting another rig altogether to use for freeflying and I have a Saber 150 in the closet that I'm hoping to swap into my regular rig soon....
so...the moral is - you're most likely not going to be very happy in the long run with what you buy and you'll want to downsize canopies as you get more experienced. In the beginning, I tended to be very conservative and I wanted a big canopy that I thought I would use forever, and well, you can see it hasn't worked out that way in the long run - so unless you just have money to spend, it's a good idea to demo canopies and gear if you can and buy later.
My fiance was lucky - he got to take advantage of a gear plan that was offered at our DZ at the time and he got to do about 100 free jumps on the DZ's used gear so he tried out everything and ended up buying a Saber 120 for his first owned canopy.
I guess it depends on how often you plan to jump and on your skills, etc. so you'll know what's best for you - and talk to your JM's....
See ya,
Rhonda

I started looking (and lurking the gear and rigging forum) after my first jump. I have not decided what I want yet, but since I really dig flying the canopy, I'll probably get something a little sporty... mildly swoopable ;). Time will tell. It's really too soon for me to decide.
GeekStreak