zelda

Bad News

Sadly it looks legit to me...but what a bogus article. They seemed completely obsessed with the fact that other jumpers continued to jump after the fatality - should we close highways for hours or days after a fatal car accident has been cleared too? I think that was one of the worst reports I've seen yet and they're usually all pretty bad - anyone have the real info. on this incident? Sounds as if it was not a US jumper....
My condolences to the family and friends.
Rhonda

I have yet to see a mainstream media report on skydiving that wasn't completely botched; they seem much more interested in stirring the pot and muckraking than in getting an objective and accurate story. In the past few months it's begun to look like the mission of the Lodi-area media is to get that DZ shut down. There was actually an editorial in the Lodi newspaper shortly after Jan Davis died which seemed to imply that the Lodi DZ has a higher than normal fatality rate, and that it's because the DZ is not a USPA Group Memember. Interestingly, the writer didn't appear to have even done some cursory research into fatality rates for DZs of comparable size (or any size, for that matter). No doubt they'll be at it again after this.
-zelda

God damn, poorly written journalism pisses me off!!!
Not one mention of how other malfunctions happen and how he was trained to recognise and deal with a malfunction, not one mention (from the journalist) about how safe the systems in place are (kudos to Ray), and with this whole..."and the band played on" CRAP!!! yeah, what the hell are we supposed to do, close EVERY road, or every lane of a freeway when there is a fatality (yeah Rhonda66!) And what about the other jumper's account, "Whew, I am glad I knew that after I jumped". guess what sweetie...if you think that nobody died before you jumped...I got some land in Florida to sell you!!!
Damn, I hate that.
If anyone knows more, please fill us in.
My condolences go to the family of the victim, and the other jumpers who might have been there/on the load/seen it.
Gutentag and blue skies!!
Kia Kaha,
Pyke:P
NZPF A - 2584

my condolances
what the hell is this
"He was spinning out of control, and I said, 'Oh, he's freefalling.' And the kids said, 'No, he's out of control,'" Kim Reynolds said. "Then the chute opened up and I said, 'Oh, good, the chute is going up.' (But) chute went up and body went flying down."
i read that like 10 times and it still makes no sense and its like a 5 year old wrote it , and I said, And the kids said, Kim Reynolds said. and I said,

I think I covered this subject pretty good in another post somewhere about idiotic journalists...And guess what...they are still at it...bunch of dumb, stupid, weird, uninformed, slandering sons of bitches...
Sorry I got fucking carried away here. I just think that anyone that wants to be a journalist should not be allowed to print anything until they have proven themselves worthy and can actually write intelligently...instead of graduating from their schools with no education and/or humanity about themselves...My heart goes out to this jumper, his family and friends...May he rest in God's hands...
FFF

i read that like 10 times and it still makes no sense and its like a 5 year old wrote it , and I said, And the kids said, Kim Reynolds said. and I said,

Did you watch the video that went along with the article? I'm not sure what she meant either but it has her interview in there.
Wesley
--
I want to fly!

My condolences to the family, friends and other people involved. And to all of us, as well.
Perhaps why diving continued may have been as a way to demonstrate respect, and to affirm our commitment to ourselves, safety, and indescribable joy that we all have in this sport.
Another note:
Here's an interesting thing which they post on their "contact us" page:
"Home Page/Feedback
You've probably gathered by now that we're really into
feedback. There is a "Contact KCRA" link on the top of
virtually every page of this site.
Let us know what you think!
You can contact the station by phone at (916) 446-3333.
To reach the news department, call (916) 444-7316.
Web Staff:
[email protected]
Anchors & Reporters:
[email protected]
News Comments:
[email protected]
News Tips:
[email protected]
Call3:
[email protected]
KCRA Programming:
[email protected]
Promotions:
[email protected]
Engineering:
[email protected]
Sales:
[email protected]
Advertising:
[email protected]
Public Affairs:
[email protected]
General Manager:
[email protected] "
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shall we?
I will.
bleau cieux -
Michele

I feel for the victim and his family. Imagine how they felt reading that. The article would never have passed one of my 4th grade English classes much less been printed. I do hope someone from the DZ actually spoke directly to the family and explained what happened.
I think we all look on fellow skydivers as family, so when one of our family dies we need to continue doing what they loved doing....skydiving. I know we all jumped after Michele died. The plane was extremely quiet and many tears were shed, but we jumped because that is what she would have wanted us to do. The Memorial Dive brought in large numbers of jumpers just to honor her. That is how we show our love and respect for a fallen jumper. It is also how I finally found my peace.
The gm is getting a note from me too. Maybe these people just need a little (ok, a lot) of education about our sport.

If I'm not mistaken, Lodi has historically had problems with bad press coverage. It's almost like someone in the local newsmedia has something out for skydiving and Lodi in particular.
My condolences to the jumper's family, friends and all the folks at Lodi. You guys have had some bad luck lately with JanDevil & now this.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I'm sorry for this terrible accident and hope his family receives the proper condolences
In response to that "news" article, did anyone notice the "headlines" listed on that page?
8 out of the 15 have to do with death, murder, or assault. It appears this news source is out for shock value and scare tactics in order to increase readership. I'm not suprised at the quality of the article. And apparently they couldn't find any experienced skydivers to get their comments on the incident. Just some girl who giggled when she found out about someone's tragic death.
Mother Of Abandoned Baby Found
June Rains Bring Summer Pains
Blood Drive To Honor Pit Bull Attack Victim
Woman's Killer Still Unknown
Search Is On For Killer Of Delivery Man
This SUV Gets 30 Miles Per Gallon
Huge Volleyball Festival Under Way
Talks Under Way To Hash Out Power Bills
Body Found In Tracy Canal
Carry Illegal Fireworks, Go To Jail
Sacramento Child-Welfare Agency Hit With Sanction
Pet Wolves Find New Home
Fatal Stabbing Victim Remembered
Baby Found In Garbage Chute Recovering
Skydiver Falls To Death In Lodi

FYI...the student was jumping their 4th static line jump had a line over malfunction and did not cutaway immediately. Finally, he cutaway and opened reserve but it was not enough to prevent his death. It is very unfortunate and the channel 3 news man was very sneaky and the article was all wrong.