Doasfu

Whuffo - My Opinion

I've seen a lot of discussion on how to determine wether or not someone is a whuffo.
"Does one tandem make you not a whuffo?" etc...
Well, to determine whether or not someone is a whuffo, we need to look at what a whuffo is:
"Whuffo you jump?" The question that defines a whuffo. Therefore, a whuffo is someone who wonders why we jump. It's not nessecarily a non-jumper, it's just someone who doesn't "get it." If someone makes one tandem, and they understand, even if they never feel it again, they're not a whuffo. If someone quits after three or four jumps and doesn't understand why people think it's worth keep doing, they are a whuffo.
If you no longer need to ask "whuffo you jump?," or if you've always known, you can't really be a whuffo, can you? :)
Comments?
Dan
"Oh, you went to a movie this weekend? That's nice. Me? Not much."

I'll buy it. That aligns pretty well with my definition too. Skygod and whuffo are more about attitude than anything else.
We've got a 14 year old on our DZ whose Dad is an AFF/Tandem JM and his Mom is a coach. He's out at the DZ every weekend, packs 50 or so chutes every weekend, can tell you about the characteristics of every type of container and main chute we have on the drop zone, and is saving all his money up so he can do AFF when he turns 16. Even though he's never made a single skydive, Iwouldn't dream of calling him a whuffo.

I think I'll agree with that but just to keep it interesting....If they really got "it"how could they only do a single tandem.....It seems that if they would only go on the amusement ride (1st tandem) they don't get it....Shouldn't it be deeper than that?

Not necessarily...they may get it but might have other obligations that take priority. They may have kids and based on a risk assessment don't think the chance of an accident is worth it because of their family. Or maybe they hurt themselves on one of those few jumps, and really want to go again, but are just afraid to. I'd still say they "get it" but have made a choice not to indulge.
Hell, I've experimented in my past and can honestly say there are certain recreational drugs that I "get". But even though I know I'd enjoy doing them again, I also know what the risks are of doing so and have decided not to. Not a great comparison, but I think it clarifies my point.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

First Tandum...I had it about 2 seconds after we left the airplane. I have obligations as a single mom, but I also have an obligation to myself to do something I love. You'll find me at the DZ every weekend generally with my girls if they are home.
You can't say they have "IT" if they quit. They only realize the small dot on the spectrum of what we see as the big picture in our lives.

This is something I was thinking about yesterday. What do you call someone who just does one tandem & never comes back?
I agree with Doasfu: They really can never be a whuffo ever again. They know "whuffo", even if they don't do it again.
This is a huge percent of total skydivers: In the USA we have a bit over 35,000 regular skydivers. But an additional QUARTER OF A MILLION people visit DZs each year to do that single tandem skydive. Tandem skydiving has really changed skydiving for this reason: You get all these one-timers now that you never got before about 10 years ago or so when tandem skydiving started.
So these one-timers are a definite and large group of people we need to consider.
THEREFORE, I HEREBY PROCLAIM WE MUST COME UP WITH A NAME FOR THESE ONE-TIMERS!! Let's hear some suggestions. Remember folks, this is for posterity!
Speed Racer
"I think I think, therefore, I think I am, I think!"

You can't say they have "IT" if they quit. They only realize the small dot on the spectrum of what we see as the big picture in our lives.

Can't say that I agree with that one. So if I quit now, for some reason that perhaps was out of my control or I had obligations that required the choice for one reason or other, would that make me a whuffo? I don't think so. Wanting and having is not necessarily the same thing. I will always WANT to skydive, but if Merrick hadn't financially made it possible for me, I would've never been able to pursue it as I have. Or, if my children for some reason decided that it scared them immeasurably for me to be jumping and it wasn't something I could work out with them, I'd quit.
I'm sorry, I love skydiving more then anything else I've ever done in my life next to my family, but like I said...next to my family. If it came to the choice, there would be no choice...but I don't think I could ever be a whuffo again.
Our webpage

The difference is the circumstances would have been out of your control. Someone who just jumps once and is satisfied or does 4-5 jumps and says that's it is still a whuffo... they choose to quit.
I do respect your opinion especially since I am a single mom. Thankfully my girls think it is cool to have my video to show their friends.

Oh yeah, definately...as our DZO once said, most people do 5 or less jumps then quit once the 'novelty' has worn off (and it no longer impresses their friends to say "I skydive") Definate whuffos if they quit because it no longer gets them the cool points they want, or they find out it's not as easy as just falling out of an open door!
Thank heavens my kids think skydiving is cool too...they can't wait til they can try it :)
Our webpage

Well, I have to disgree. Maybe they're no longer skydivers, but the fact that they did it at all seperates them from the rest of the herd. There are plenty of adventurous things to do out there, skydiving is just one of them. If you try one of these things, and then stop for whatever reason, it isn't as though you've never done it.
If someone had sex once, then never again, would they become a virgin? (Geez, I hate to admit this, but its been a while for me...Maybe virginity grows back??!!:$)
But seriously, I still think we need to coin a term for a third category.
Sky Tasters
Lemmings (-->they only do one jump!)
Mono-chutists
Ossumbyes. (Comes from the phrase, "That was AWESOME!..Bye!"
Speed Racer
"I think I think, therefore, I think I am, I think!"

THEREFORE, I HEREBY PROCLAIM WE MUST COME UP WITH A NAME FOR THESE ONE-TIMERS!! Let's hear some suggestions. Remember folks, this is for posterity!

I humbly submit "Onceffo."
Dan

Onceffo and Ossumbye (ossumbuy if they brought beer?) both sound great. I kinda like Onceffo because it goes nicely with Howffo, my current status. (Who came up with that one?)
I would also like to thank Dan for his cool posts. Mostly because what he writes is not the usual "I did such and such, everyone look at how cool I am/everyone laugh at me" fluff that I put up here. Also because his sig is high-quality and subtly subversive.
Blues, Squares,
PTiger
*insert sub-100 character sig here*

I would also like to thank Dan for his cool posts. Mostly because what he writes is not the usual "I did such and such, everyone look at how cool I am/everyone laugh at me" fluff that I put up here. Also because his sig is high-quality and subtly subversive.

Thanks man, you made my morning. I have to admit, though, that if I'd jumped in the last couple of weeks I'm sure my posts would be about that. :)
Dan