Michele

Weekday musings

I spend my day somewhere, anywhere other than here, aloft in my mind. I look at the ceiling, and I dream of the sky. I watch the clouds through the tight, small windows, and envy them their flight. I cannot help but rail at the cramped office I inhabit, knowing what I can do, the space I can merge into for a short time, this enormity of flight. My office is too small for my dreams.
I shut my eyes, and I pretend. I pretend that I am not deskbound, but soaring through the sky, high above the dusty desert. I claim the desert - it is mine. The sky claims me though, and for that short time, I am other than me, more than me, bigger than me. I pretend I am free again, free to taste the air, to feel the gentle breeze, to watch my shadow trace circles on the ground. Do hawks understand their shadows? Do they draw circles and spirals and s-turns while they cruise on the thermals I so long to be in?
I am envious - of birds, of clouds. I want to be up and away, lost to the sky, reaching heights reserved for another world. I am jealous of all the time I lose in my office, being productive, making money. Don't they know that this only drives the dream, and serves no purpose but to let me fly? I crave the freedom that flight brings, leaving "it" on the ground, finding its' opposite in the sky. And I resent my car and the speed laws, because I cannot pretend to be flying while I am driving. There are no shadows to marvel at when I am driving.
I miss the sky, the clear blue crispness above the murky smog. The colors are different; bright, vibrant, real. The sharp bite of the air, the intensity of thought, the tight focus; details are so clear in the sky. I miss the demanding activity of flying, that harsh master with concise rules. I want the performance wrenched out of me, surprising me continually, proving that I can accomplish flight, that most impossible dream. I want to surprise myself, I want to accomplish something other than a file. I want my merits to be counted in the sky, and not in the amount of profit I can turn for a client.
And I am brought back into the world of everyday when the phone rings and it is a client, dismayed about a problem. And yes, while it is a problem, it is not *really* a problem. Don't they understand that it can be handled so easily, just a few phone calls, perhaps a meeting, that it will not disrupt their tidy lives, and that this problem, whatever it is, I can solve because I can fly? No, they don't, and I can't tell them. They wouldn't believe me. They haven't tasted the sky.
So I dream during the day. I dream of the hugeness that is this world, the grandness that is the sky, and the freedom that is flying.
Weekday musings of weekend flight.

Michele, you've got it bad.
Every man on here is going to have it bad if you keep this up.
GO GIRL
I'm headed to the DZ tomorrow so I won't catch you until you get back. Have a wonderful time Sunday. SMILE and RELAX. I'll be thinking about you as I soar through the sky chasing my shadow. Do you see your shadow during night jumps?? I'll let you know Monday.
Remember SKY CHICKS RULE....scream it on the way out of the plane. I often do.

Wow. I wish I could write as beautifully as you. You have described to a word the way I feel everyday. We skydivers are a unique people. We truly know the way the eagle must feel as it soars through the sky. None of my whuffo friends understands the beauty I see and feel each weekend. I'm amazed at what I see in the sky now when I used to never even look up. Now every time I'm outside my head is craned up with thoughts of flight in my head.
Wesley
--
I'll see you at 13,5 amongst the clouds.

That was great, I understand where you're coming from (as well as all the other jumpers here... :) I didn't have the money to jump with on the 4th, so half drunk I floated in the lake stairing at the PERFECT skydiving sky (clear with some clouds for scenery) wishing and wanting to be home (in the sky). :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Okay michele, you've got to stop this!!! I won't be responsible for what happens!!! This is the type of stuff that makes you fall in love with a person!! I have the same sentiments as you do. I just wish I could express them as eloquently as you. I am wondering at the moment of the untapped exuburance that will overflow once that you are free of your jumpmasters.
I think I am falling in love!
Great writing, please continue expressing my feelings for me!
Blue Skies!!
Sinister69

http://home.pacbell.net/n1elson1

i can feel your pain, i had to wait two, yes count em two hours for the winds to die down before i could jump the casa today!!!! man, my month of vacation is way cool!!!!!!...... sorry, had to say that, i've ben stuck at work on many a nice day myself!!!!

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

Hay Michelle!!
Ya have the gift!! You Ladies Rock!!,, (teary eyed) in my line a work we fly all over the northwest in Super King Air's and Helo's,, every time we get ta 14,500 I yell "Jump Run!!",, yell "Door!!" every time I open that sucker!! but we're on the tarmac,, work sucks,,,..
Sweet Dreams!!
B

Oh so when I get to jump with Mouth, we will be competing for verbal airspace! LOL I have a rep. for being the loudest person on the plane everywhere I go...I scream and holler, especially on big planes like Otters and CASAs!! WOOHOO!! That's what I'm talkin' about baby!! Jumprun lyricists, unite!
Sis
It isn't brave if you aren't scared...