freaksister

Good DZ's!

I've only been to 2 dz's so far, but with Skydive Deland as my home dz, I don't feel like I need to go anywhere else. I mean...it's Deland! We have the Otter and Skyvan running on most weekends, and the landing areas are plentiful which is great for a new jumper like me.
But most of all, the class of people that I get to hang out with is just awesome. Let me tell you, it is skygod city out there. For example, on just a regular Saturday, I've been on the same plane with Norman Kent and the US women's 4-way gold medal team. That is so cool! I have picked up so many bits of information from the most knowledgeable people in the sport from everything from canopy control, to packing my parachute, because the major manufacturers are here. And, they've all been the nicest people to talk to so far, and no one has ever made me feel like they were to busy to talk to me. I consider myself very lucky to be able to call Deland my home dz.
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

I have jumped at a LOT of dropzones and here are my two absoulute favorites:
Raeford Parachute Center (my home DZ). Raeford has grown a lot since I started jumping there in 1984. It has always had twins since I started jumping, but when they made the transition to turbines, the atmosphere really started to change. Formerly a bastion of classics competitors from around the world (literally), it has metamorphasized into a fantastic multi-discipline DZ. There are two Twin Otters here and one CASA 212, as well as two 182's. We generally only fly one of the Otters, but the other two turbines are on call. There is also a twin bonanza that doesn't get flown anymore, but gets adorned with lights every year at Christmas; very cool. Raeford has a full service restaurant and bar which has all ABC permits. It is open early for breakfast and late for partying. It has bands occasionally and drunken, redneck, karaoke one night a weekend. I rate this bar/ restaurant on the same level as the Bombshelter in Perris. Raeford also is home to SkyKat gear shop. This is not some single-wide trailer sitting on the property; it is a NICE shop with lots of inventory. We have a full-service loft (the Auger Inn) which is the maker of MonkeyFist pilot chutes among other things. We have Zero Time which is a complete aviation repair/ rebuild/ fabrication facility. We have Raeford Skydiving Service, which offers all the standard instruction, plus freefly, skysurf, and advanced rating instruction. We have 30-amp (very important!) RV hookups ($20 per day), free camping, and outstanding atmosphere. The entire DZ is smooth grass. There is a lot of shade, plus covered packing and creeping areas. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that this is a great DZ with a decidedly small-DZ flavor.
The Ranch Parachute Club in Gardiner, NY. The Ranch could easily top my list if it only had a couple of things: proper RV hookups and a bar/restaurant onsite. There is no other DZ in the world that I have visited that has the vibe of The Ranch. It is a very busy DZ that has a great staff, ample organizers for any discipline you practice, and very friendly regulars. Camping is free, but if you want to hook your RV up, you are pretty much out of luck, so I hope you have a generator. The snack bar is OK for grabbing a bite during the day, but it closes at dusk. There are bars and restaurant out the ass just a short while away, but having one onsite would make more money than I could imagine. If you have a car or can hitch a ride, New Paltz is six miles away and it is VERY cool. The Ranch flies at least two turbines back to back, all day long. First load goes up there MUCH sooner than here at Raeford and the pace does not stop all day up until dark. Club members erect campsites in the woods and can keep them there all season. There must be at least 50 tents and shacks in the woods. I can personally guarantee that anything and everything goes on at that place. Pick a crowd, any crowd. The entire DZ is nice and grassy. There is a beautiful view of the Shawangunk mountains. There is a large swoop pond just begging you to chow in it. The Ranch kicks ass and I make it there at least once a year.

Andrea, I jumped DeLand today and had a great time. The first couple of times I was there I got a different image of the place. seemed to "business oriented" for me. but today I met alot of cool people and got two jumps in. I even had a chance to talk about teaching a basic first aid/CPR course there for the instructors and staff. I was sorry I had such a bad impression the first couple of times.
Chuck, where is the Quincy story "Quincy Hell" at?
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

Yep, I have to agree, Sebastian is awesome! Their organized outings are really good too, eg bowling, restaurant nights, wind-tunnel etc. Lots of skydivers with thousands of jumps, but really friendly helpful attitudes. And from what I've heard if you really feel the need to biff in and break a leg, the on-call first aid is really good too! (what's your score of broken legs up to Marc??? ;))
/s

Andrea, I jumped DeLand today and had a great time.

That's so great, Marc! I'm so glad you saw it the way that I see it. Once people see you more often, and you become a regular, I'm sure you'll have as much fun as I do out there. Well, you don't have tits, so you might not get quite the same amount of attention that I do, but you know what I mean. ;)
Hope to see you out there this weekend!!
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

My experience at Elsinore last year was great--did many points on 8--10 ways.
Great people-staff-"except Monday morning." (after a good night sleep in my trailer)
Story--
A few days before I towed my travel trailer from Phoenix to California, I had a local auto repair shop change out the trans and rear end oil in my Dodge Dakota to a synthetic oil that I supplied. (should have done myself) I then drove to LA metro with my trailer in tow with no problem. Two days later (Sat AM)
I drove to Elsinore and parked my trailer at the DZ. Later that night I drove into town in search of a restaurant. It was at this time that I heard a low level "howl" coming from what I thought was the drive line. My first thought was that maybe low oil in the rear end as the result of a mechanic screw-up. I went to an 'almost closed' service station where I ran into a volunteer that went under my truck and checked the rear end oil. (I didn't want to get dirty, if not needed, of course) When he put his little pinky into the oil port he had to put it in all the way angled down to find any oil!--the oil on his finger was black and burned! We then added more than one quart of gear lube to bring it up to norm! I knew there was major damage-nitriting on gears-history--but I hoped it would "hang in there" from Elsinore to Phoenix via San Diego, which it did, with much noise at the end. (500+ miles!)
Now, getting back to Elsinore on Monday morning. I got up fairly early, and was returning from the wash room when I came across a jumper on the porch of one of the trailers in the packing-creeper area.
I have no idea who he was, but I did in passing "morning--how ya doing"--his response-ok--my response-
I wish I could say the same--I've got a blown rear end in my truck as the result of a mechanic's screw up-hopefully it will make it back to Phoenix.
His response was--not my fu&#ing problem. (I just walked away)
His response just again confirms my belief that "most" DZ's have the element of low life, skygod dirt.
The bigger the DZ--the bigger "percentage" of this element--sad for the sport--
Dave Brownell
Mesa, AZ

I have only jumped at 2 DZ's, and i think they are the best and worst. My home DZ is Skydive Chicago, and no matter what is said about Roger, this is a great DZ. If you have never met him, he is a really great guy. If you have, and have a problem with him, so be it. I haven't known him long. But he has always been there to answer questions and offer to jump with me to resolve any free flying issues I have. We have 3 Super Otters, a Bell 222 Helicopter once a month, and a Cessna 182 that runs during the winter months (BBBRRRRRR!). As far as the other DZ I've been to, check other threads. This is a positive one, and I haven't anything to say about those guys.
I look forward to getting to other DZ's in the near future, but I've been lazy and not taken the exam.
Love,
Billy
"Light a candle for the sinners---Set the world on fire!"
Marilyn Manson

> I however, decided to post a thread on GOOD DZ's and what makes
> them that way!
Perris, CA.
Plenty of lift capacity, nice aircraft, excellent facilities, nice student
gear and some fantastic people.
Texel, the Netherlands
Very nice student/rental gear, nice people, a Turbolet and a great view
(if not obscured by clouds).
Alphons

Have to give a thumbs up to Ark. Aero Sports.
Whwn we decided to start jumping again we spent a weekend DZ shopping and the fine folks in Conway won Hands Down. We were willing to drive 3 hrs as opposed to a "King Air DZ" 1 hr from the house!
(2) C182's
(1) Beech 18 - clasic
(1) Beech 18 - turbine
It's a realitivly new DZ but the people are great, great neighbors, and other Kids the same age as ours. It's only drawback is it located in a dry county, and U can't sell beer in Ark on Sunday. Not really a problem if you plan in advance.
Also have had great experiences @
OPC(OSC) many years ago when mel still owned it. havent jumped ther in years but hope to correct that soon. I take Pammi's word it has not changed
Skydive Dallas - A large DZ with a small DZ feel and great aircraft
Anyway that's my 2 cents.
Kevin
The AAD took natural selection out of our sport the hook turn brought it back

I don't think any of you have ever been to my DZ... the Ultimate High Parachute Centre in Victoria, BC. Small ... 1, sometimes 2 C-182s operating... great instructors, fun people, good times. Safe, too... man, I love the people out there. Skydiving rocks, baby! Speedy is right - I think that crappy DZ's are few and far between... Skydive Kamloops was a blast when I was there, too...!!!

[Texel, the Netherlands]
> They said the place had a great tandemburger.
Yep. Haven't eaten one yet, though.
It's available at the restaurant right next to the DZ.
They also have a freefall something. I believe it's a sandwich, but I'm not
sure. And there's a special para meal for 15 guilders. I think I'm gonna
check them out next time I go jumping.
Blue skies,
Alphons

I agree with cyberskydive that Chicagoland Skydiving in Hinkley, IL is a really cool place. I've only been there once, but the one time I was there I felt like it was my home DZ. Everyone there treated me like one of their own. My home DZ is Skydive Illinois. Hey cyberskydive I wish you could have been here on a weekend instead! It's totally different than during the week. If you ever stop by again on a weekend, look for me. Just ask for Hackey.
I think just about any dz you go to is going to be cool, because skydivers are cool! Like everything else, some are going to be better than others, but every skydiver feels their home dz is special. Like the saying goes...there's no place like home.
Hackey

Hey Hackey, I was there this weekend. on my trip up from FL to go to the wedding. I flew in with the Lima lima guys(the bright yellow planes) on saturday and walked over to take a look around and see what was up. nice people and good community that supports the DZ too. cant beat it.
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

I just got started skydiving this summer (haven't been anywhere else), and just completed my levels 4 and 5 yesterday. Byron CA (http://www.bayareaskydiving.com/) gets my vote. Great people, excellent instructors who have patiently answered my numerous questions, always friendly. No attitude problems on the part of the staff or experienced skydivers. It's just east of the bay area here in CA. check it out.