mountainman

16 jumps, new gear, and famous skydivers...

Hey all!!
Laura and I are back from the Richmond Boogie. And I must say that those who didn't get to go missed out on a LOT. It was sweet!
I made 16 jumps over the 4 days I was there (Wed-4, Thurs-5, Fri-3, Sat-4). I did a lot of solos, 2-ways, 3-ways. Laura and I got on 2 sunset loads, and on one, we exited in grips and kissed on the way down. It was excellent!! I was in Mulllins' on more than half of those. That plane is AMAZING!!! :)Yesterday, after the jumping, Laura and I both ordered new rigs (Wings containers, Safire mains, Dash-M reserves, and CYPRES). We also ordered some new Pro Tracks as well. I am totally psyched to get them. I demoed the Safire 189 during my jumping on Thursday and Friday. Then, on Saturday, I demoed the Safire 169 for 4 jumps. I ordered it.
As far as famous skydivers...it's hard to believe how many famous people are there. Laura got a coach dive filmed by Mike McGowan and got the vid for that, I took her picture with Mike McGowan and Steve-O. I saw Orly King fly with Mullin's a couple times by jumping out 2nd to last, we sat at breakfast and chatted with Jerry Bird for a while, ate dinner one night with Brian Germain (Big Air Sportz), and chatted with Jari (Bird Man guy). All in all, it was a pretty awesome trip. I didn't get to jump as many times as I would have liked to, but it was fun anyway.
So what did you do this past week? :)--------------
New skydiving pics added!!

Glad you had fun. Sounds like a cool boogie.....but a Safire main? Jeeze Loueeze (oh well no safire bashing this time).
I'm dying to go jump mullins plane. I hate those small doors, but, I usually do 2-3 way freeflying so it probably won't matter. I'm going to try and go to Coolidge, (where he keeps his plane in the winter), this fall and jump it.
bloo skies
ramon

I hate those small doors, but, I usually do 2-3 way freeflying so it probably won't matter.

I saw Orly King and two other guys go out at the same time and fly with Mullins as he was in his dive. I jumped right before them and just hung out and watched. It was pretty awesome. He has a big bar outside that you wont have any problems getting out.
Hope you have fun with it!!

but a Safire main? Jeeze Loueeze (oh well no safire bashing this time).

I dont care who likes it and who doesn't. For me, loading it at 1.3, it flies awesome and I can surf it without risers or anything and it is a sweet, smooth landing. So, if you dont like it, I dont give a shit. :)--------------
New skydiving pics added!!

Yesterday, after the jumping, Laura and I both ordered new rigs (Wings containers, Safire mains, Dash-M reserves, and CYPRES)

pshhh rich people always throwing there $$ around!!! :o ;)
sounds like a good time man
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet

STEVEO (Steve Utter to be on the same page) IS AWESOME. He is one of the nicest, most down to earth, most professional, humble skydivers i know (along with Rook). Don't say anything about Steve-O if you've never talked to him. He is just a great guy. I've done several jumps with him, and talked to him many times, about video, about jumping in general, little of this and that... He was shooting the Boogie video, if appeared busy, that's why. he had to jump back to back all day long to get footage, and buy his video, i gaurantee you'll understand why he works so hard. it's going to be the best boogie video ever. so yeah, he's amazing, and you should see him fly, like an angel. i asked him all weekend to dive with me, and he reeled off his schedule, but said, come find me later, i'll see what i can do...
he's encouraging, always. and today, He made sure to jump with me before i had to leave. it was the best fucking skydive i've ever been in, excuse the language but it was that intense. we launched a 2 way headdown flower with 3 sitfly chasers who just wanted to join us, but since i'd asked him so much, he focused on my the whole dive...
transitioned to sit, and he grabbed my foot and smiled, tried feet docking a few more times, geeked the camera, we both have cameras, and just had a blast. you jsut had to be there... so i watch him track off and give me a peace sign right before he opens, i open, and go to stow my slider, look behind me and he's chasing me under canopy, he get up to me, and says "don't move" so i don't touch a thing, and he brushed his end cell into mine, smiled and spiraled down to land.
talk about a good dive and a great guy. jeez... I'm a school teacher and they've asked me to do a video presentation on skydiving to the school, so i told Steve-O this and asked if i could firewire his video to show the 2 perspectives, and he went out of his way to find another camera with more battery, get a firewire, and take the time to trade videos to help me out. Steve-O is awesome. I truly respect and admire him...
just get to know him.
ok, enough on that.
BUY HIS VIDEO
see our jump
have patience, with judging people, and with ordering gear. mountainman, great seeing you, sorry we didn't get to talk. i have a safire 139, and feel i've made conservative choices in demoing and downsizing. you've been packing and working on rigging, so you know more than most people at your jump level, but canopy experience you only get in the air. please be careful. too many new jumpers are trying stuff that may be over their head, like a crossfire, which they can usually land with no problem, but sometimes a little cross wind, a little burble, a little swirly, a second late on the flare, a bad spot, among other things... CAN happen, and does. i watched too many people slam their knees and bounce into a tumble JUST this weekend in Richmond under crossfires becuase they're anxious to go faster.
IT ONLY TAKES ONCE
and on a lighter note, richmond rocked, no major injuries. i did see the hard landing on a night jump, she only had a concusion and was jumping again today...
and despite the reputation, richmond was about half freeflyers and half belly. great night events, great parties, and just
truly
amazing
people
i guess you just had to be there
green skies
:)lew:S

Hey Lew!
Thanks for the description of the jump! That sounds like it was an awesome time. I went back and read what I wrote, but I didn't mean for it to sound like I was judging him. He just never smiled or said HI to me when I casually said HI to him. Oh well.....he's busy.
Eitherway, the boogie was SUPER AWESOME. I cannot wait to get my gear. I jumped that 169 4 times on Saturday and loved it. It is a really cool canopy and is really fun. That's all I'm gonna say about that because all I ever catch is flack. Oh well.
I'll for sure be buying his boogie vid and hopefully you can cap some stills of your jump with him!!
--------------
Boogie pics coming!!!